Quick Bit of help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryaan

Just need some help, wanting to buy a beardie, and i was looking at viv's and i found a nice one that is
48 x 21 x 19inch, would that be alright for my beardie from being a baby to a full grown up adult?
Also if somebody could also make me a list of the items i need in the tank, such as thermostat etc etc and if anybody could recommend me a good british site where i could get all of these items from.
By the way, would it be alright placed on my wall?

thanks in advance.

Ryan 8)

springpedersens

Hatchling Member
I'm not sure about where in Britain you can find supplies; I'd recommend using Google and searching for reptile supplies with your hometown name or area as part of the search. Probably the most efficient way of finding them.

I don't know if the theory's still the same from back when I got Fantus, but I was told that getting a small tank first would actually be helpful for the baby beardie. They do grow out of them quickly, so a basic 10 gal. aquarium with the proper accessories is a good starting size. Fantus went from 10 to 29 to 40 in about a year. He seems very happy with that size, although I keep thinking he'd be better off in something larger (although where I'd put it I have no idea).

You will need a source of ultraviolet light, a heat source (infrared lamp), a rock for him to climb on and hide under, something to line the bottom of the tank (for babies, paper toweling works just fine). You'll need a food dish and a water dish, and a reliable source of the food you choose to give him.

Fantus grew up on silkworms, which are pricey and, unfortunately for me, something I found out that I'm highly allergic to (actually, I probably *developed* the allergy in handling them for him). Ryath grew up on mealworms. Both had their worms dusted with a special additive that gave them some minerals they might not otherwise get. As they grew, they ate more "salad" (not lettuce!!! my guys love arugula as their basic greens, but will also eat mustard greens or collard greens, though they don't like them and I get dirty looks, I swear). Occasional treats of fruit. There are lists of good foods you can find on this site to help you choose what to feed them.

On the wall???? I'm thinking not. Especially if you eventually use a substrate of sand! I expect any substrate, maybe even just the viv itself, would be way too heavy for a shelf hanging off a wall. Best find a table of some sort that you can put the tank on.

I've probably missed a dozen things, but these are the basics that come to mind at the moment.

Good luck! Beardies are a great deal of fun and actually quite intelligent. You'll have fun with this.

Ryaan

Original Poster
Thanks, would he be okay on a windowsil with the back facing outside? :(
I would rather have him in my room without moving it about :(

thanks again

Ryaan

npedersen

Hatchling Member
You have to be careful about putting it in a window. The hot sun will not allow the little guy to thermo regulate, meaning he won't be able to get to a cooler spot. Also the draft during cooler months will make it difficult to keep at the right temps at night. If the thinking is to get sun to give the UVB needed, glass filters out almost all UV rays UVA and UVB. So the glass in the window and the tank would definetly not allow any to get in. Get a UVB tube and fixture that fits the tank, take off any cover that goes over the bulb and if you can, don't put a screen between the bulb and the little guy. It also will filter out much of the UVB.

maddevil

Hi there, I can recommend a few good Brittish web sites that I order from often.
Reptilekeeping.com and Reptilesupplyhut. I've had no problem with either and they are both fast at despatching stuff. Reptilekeeping are also really friendly and are happy to give you any advice you might need should you phone them :)
I dont know if you have had all the advice you need but my viv is more or less the same size as you have and my beardie is almost 3yrs.
I have a 48' Reptisun 10 striplight for her UV
I have a 100w Hallogen daylight bulb at 1 end of the viv and at the other I have a 40w nightlight (optional) so I switch between the 2

Hope this helps x

Ryaan

Original Poster
hey thanks again for all the help, would this be alright for a full size beardie?
48 x 21 x 19inch

Ryaan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom