Questions about substrates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashlet007

I'm currently using Calci Sand for my beardie, Eragon. But, it can get a little expensive sometimes. I was wondering if playsand is ok. My friend who owns a bearded dragon uses play sand as a substrate and he says it works well and it's cheaper in the long run. I'm worried about the threat of impaction. Calci Sand is digestable (according to the package). My other friend uses crushed walnut shells...which I know how dangerous that is and would never use it for my beardie.

I'm also considering just switching to reptile carpet or newspaper. Which would be better?

Thanks in advance!

zimbabwepegasus

Extreme Poster
Calci-sand is actually much worse than playsand!
It tends to harden into a cement like substance when it gets wet and generally the inside of animals is wet.

We generally recommend not keeping young dragons on substrates that can be consumed at all, which would include playsand. But for adults, I know many owners on this site do use playsand.

Personally, I use tile for both my beardies and i love it! It naturally files down their nails, doesn't retain smell and is super easy to clean!

Ashlet007

Original Poster
:D Thank you very much for your reply! I didn't know Calci Sand was worse! I never thought to use tile, that's a good idea

KINGSAME

Hatchling Member
Personally, I use tile for both my beardies and i love it! It naturally files down their nails, doesn't retain smell and is super easy to clean![/quote]

What kind of tile are you using? Porcelain?

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
KINGSAME":2ad04 said:
What kind of tile are you using? Porcelain?

Porcelain, ceramic, slate.. it doesn't really matter what it's made of, so long as it is textured and not slippery and glazed.

mudcats70

well i am had the same problem at one time when my bearded dragon was a baby. The pet store have them all on calcium sand witch is extremly bad for reptile witch i think because i used it at first and i noticed my bearded dragon licking the sand. Then i asked my local pet shop what the use and they said they used repi-sand. I now use that after alot of reserch on it. playsand is weird because when you look at it under a microscope it looks like a snowflake and when it gets wet same with calcium sand it balls up and repi-sand does not use it. but to take the safest rote yet go and get repi-carpet.Hope this helped.
MUDCATS70

Here is Luna's enclousure. I love tile. It is so easy to clean.
11152016.jpg

I got them from Lowes. They are 6x6 and cost I think .88 each. When she poos I just wipe it up with baby wipes. They are not grouted so I can remove them to clean if I have to. I really like them. The best part is they will last forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom