Questionable Poop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Queni

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sparkles
Good Morning!

This is my first post and question here and I would appreciate any help and input. My husband and I researched a lot before bringing home a bearded dragon but there is still so much to learn and the more we read, the more overwhelmed we get.

We know our dragon is stressed, as she has the stress marks and isn't eating very well. She arrived to us last Thursday night and since then, she only eats 1 or 2 superworms/crickets each time they are offered. She has eaten very little veggies and did not try the apple I put in her bowl and in front of her yesterday. We are looking into breeding silk worms or Phoenix worms for her instead of superworms. The crickets really do smell terrible. I read that they would smell but didn't imagine it would be like this.

We are going to get a background for her enclosure as we know that the clear glass all around is not helping. She has been pooping consistently on her basking rock or bridge and I can take the bridge out to wash (she gets upset at me) but the huge platform rock is a lot harder to remove to clean.

I was using really hot water and dawn dish soap to clean it but I think I have to use a disinfectant too. Now I can't even use our laundry sink to clean her things because the pipe broke off this morning. Why do these things always happen at the worst times?

She had been pooping once or even twice a day and they all were normal. Today, her poop had some brown mucus and I'm afraid it might be parasites. Her tummy also looks weird to me and she has refused food all morning. She drank a lot when I misted her with warm water though. There is a little bulge on her lower abdomen but I don't know if that is normal.

I am so sad to think that she might be sick and it has only been less than a week since we got her. I appreciate your help and thoughts on this. Thank you!

Attachments

• 275215370_475177697609387_6458937854273089932_n.jpg
    275215370_475177697609387_6458937854273089932_n.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 140
  • 275260291_266494892322621_1588386877433090274_n.jpg
    275260291_266494892322621_1588386877433090274_n.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 84
  • 275336411_5162752567109865_4279816999281393051_n.jpg
    275336411_5162752567109865_4279816999281393051_n.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 96

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Good Morning!

This is my first post and question here and I would appreciate any help and input. My husband and I researched a lot before bringing home a bearded dragon but there is still so much to learn and the more we read, the more overwhelmed we get.

We know our dragon is stressed, as she has the stress marks and isn't eating very well. She arrived to us last Thursday night and since then, she only eats 1 or 2 superworms/crickets each time they are offered. She has eaten very little veggies and did not try the apple I put in her bowl and in front of her yesterday. We are looking into breeding silk worms or Phoenix worms for her instead of superworms. The crickets really do smell terrible. I read that they would smell but didn't imagine it would be like this.

We are going to get a background for her enclosure as we know that the clear glass all around is not helping. She has been pooping consistently on her basking rock or bridge and I can take the bridge out to wash (she gets upset at me) but the huge platform rock is a lot harder to remove to clean.

I was using really hot water and dawn dish soap to clean it but I think I have to use a disinfectant too. Now I can't even use our laundry sink to clean her things because the pipe broke off this morning. Why do these things always happen at the worst times?

She had been pooping once or even twice a day and they all were normal. Today, her poop had some brown mucus and I'm afraid it might be parasites. Her tummy also looks weird to me and she has refused food all morning. She drank a lot when I misted her with warm water though. There is a little bulge on her lower abdomen but I don't know if that is normal.

I am so sad to think that she might be sick and it has only been less than a week since we got her. I appreciate your help and thoughts on this. Thank you!
From what I can see it looks pretty good - you want it dark moist and formed for the poop - the urate white formed and moist - shes going thru relocation stress so her eating is going to be off - as long as shes eating something your good its when they stop eating is not good - can you go over your UVB please brand and bulb your using and is it in the tank or top of screen and your basking surface temps- they need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- I would recommend getting her on dubias instead of the crickets -- here is a website to order from www.dubiaroaches.com -- you can get some BSFL order large from here www.symtonbsf.com those are another good staple feeder -- you can use them as lures to the salad bowl you will need a bowl similar to this so they dont escape https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
you can feed them first thing in the morning on top of the salads - drop them in front of her so it gets her attention - also hand feeding is a good way to hand tame her as well - lets go over the lighting and the basking temps those are extremely important and is what is going to keep her eating and faster getting her acclimated to her tank as well

Queni

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sparkles
From what I can see it looks pretty good - you want it dark moist and formed for the poop - the urate white formed and moist - shes going thru relocation stress so her eating is going to be off - as long as shes eating something your good its when they stop eating is not good - can you go over your UVB please brand and bulb your using and is it in the tank or top of screen and your basking surface temps- they need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- I would recommend getting her on dubias instead of the crickets -- here is a website to order from www.dubiaroaches.com -- you can get some BSFL order large from here www.symtonbsf.com those are another good staple feeder -- you can use them as lures to the salad bowl you will need a bowl similar to this so they dont escape https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
you can feed them first thing in the morning on top of the salads - drop them in front of her so it gets her attention - also hand feeding is a good way to hand tame her as well - lets go over the lighting and the basking temps those are extremely important and is what is going to keep her eating and faster getting her acclimated to her tank as well

Thank you for replying KarrieRee!

I was worried because of the extra goopy brown part that wasn't there in all her other poops. We talked so much about the roaches but.....I have not been able to bring myself to bring them in the house at the moment. Have any ever escaped in your home? I know silkworms are so expensive but if I can succeed in breeding them I will do it in a heartbeat over the roaches lol.

Tank info is as follows:
LF-74 Reptisun T5 HO Terrarium Hood 48"
OS5-54 Zoo med reptisun -T5 HO 10.0 uvb- 46"
Above the tank on the mesh
Temps with digital temperature gun reads basking=105, warm side= 96, cool side= 80

She has so far, seemed stressed when I offer her food from my hand. I even tried offering apples from my hand and I could tell she didn't want my hand right there so I stopped. I have tried a few times the last few days but don't want to push her.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you for replying KarrieRee!

I was worried because of the extra goopy brown part that wasn't there in all her other poops. We talked so much about the roaches but.....I have not been able to bring myself to bring them in the house at the moment. Have any ever escaped in your home? I know silkworms are so expensive but if I can succeed in breeding them I will do it in a heartbeat over the roaches lol.

Tank info is as follows:
LF-74 Reptisun T5 HO Terrarium Hood 48"
OS5-54 Zoo med reptisun -T5 HO 10.0 uvb- 46"
Above the tank on the mesh
Temps with digital temperature gun reads basking=105, warm side= 96, cool side= 80

She has so far, seemed stressed when I offer her food from my hand. I even tried offering apples from my hand and I could tell she didn't want my hand right there so I stopped. I have tried a few times the last few days but don't want to push her.
You have a good UVB - what is the screen on the tank ? Is it a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type? this is very important as the screen blocks approx 30% of the rays- if it is a fine mesh I would recommend getting it unobstructed either inside the tank or take the screen off- distance would need to be 12-15 inches directly above your basking decor - if its a wide hole type it can stay on top and distance would need to be 8-10 inches directly above your basking decor -- IR guns are good to have but the most accurate are the digital probe ones - basking surface temps are the best and if your using a hammock in the tank a IR gun wont read off it it -- she may take a while to adjust to her surroundings - work w/ her every day - you can put a fleece blanket or piece of clothing w/your smell on it in her hide to get her used to your smell - patience and trust are the key factors here --

Queni

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sparkles
You have a good UVB - what is the screen on the tank ? Is it a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type? this is very important as the screen blocks approx 30% of the rays- if it is a fine mesh I would recommend getting it unobstructed either inside the tank or take the screen off- distance would need to be 12-15 inches directly above your basking decor - if its a wide hole type it can stay on top and distance would need to be 8-10 inches directly above your basking decor -- IR guns are good to have but the most accurate are the digital probe ones - basking surface temps are the best and if your using a hammock in the tank a IR gun wont read off it it -- she may take a while to adjust to her surroundings - work w/ her every day - you can put a fleece blanket or piece of clothing w/your smell on it in her hide to get her used to your smell - patience and trust are the key factors here --
I think it is a wide hole one, not fine. I think.

THANK YOU for the feeder website too!! I took more time to really look through it all and it has proved to be so much cheaper than other websites and stores we looked at. We are getting a small variety to see what she likes but I'm really hoping she loves the Phoenix worms. I appreciate that they don't need to be refrigerated, need to stay in the container they arrive in and are very low in maintenance. I wish I had come here before we bought everything because that website has everything we need for a better price.

Total today, she has only eaten maybe 3 worms but I'm thinking they are too hard for her body to digest. I hope that we don't need to bring her to the vet and especially that she doesn't suffer before we can get the better food.

My husband and I are trying to think of what to use and cut up for our scent. Would it confuse her if we put in fabric for us and our daughter or should we stick to 1 scent for now?

Attachments

• 275517726_1407142553062164_3353099540681365362_n.jpg
    275517726_1407142553062164_3353099540681365362_n.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 275302363_333963985358314_828378942425097812_n.jpg
    275302363_333963985358314_828378942425097812_n.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 55

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I think it is a wide hole one, not fine. I think.

THANK YOU for the feeder website too!! I took more time to really look through it all and it has proved to be so much cheaper than other websites and stores we looked at. We are getting a small variety to see what she likes but I'm really hoping she loves the Phoenix worms. I appreciate that they don't need to be refrigerated, need to stay in the container they arrive in and are very low in maintenance. I wish I had come here before we bought everything because that website has everything we need for a better price.

Total today, she has only eaten maybe 3 worms but I'm thinking they are too hard for her body to digest. I hope that we don't need to bring her to the vet and especially that she doesn't suffer before we can get the better food.

My husband and I are trying to think of what to use and cut up for our scent. Would it confuse her if we put in fabric for us and our daughter or should we stick to 1 scent for now?
Yes that is a wide hole- no I think you could use all 3 fabrics in her tank- give her some time to adjust- get your uvb situated and her basking temps up to par- and let her adjust- taking her to the vet now would add more stress- as long as she's basking pooping and eating even a little she is fine

Queni

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sparkles
Yes that is a wide hole- no I think you could use all 3 fabrics in her tank- give her some time to adjust- get your uvb situated and her basking temps up to par- and let her adjust- taking her to the vet now would add more stress- as long as she's basking pooping and eating even a little she is fine
Thank you so much. This has eased my heart. I am feeling so much guilt that we are not giving her a good start. The poop smelled too but I didn't smell her other ones lol. I only smelled this one because I held it closer to look for parisites.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you so much. This has eased my heart. I am feeling so much guilt that we are not giving her a good start. The poop smelled too but I didn't smell her other ones lol. I only smelled this one because I held it closer to look for parisites.
If you are concerned about parasites you can take a fecal in and have them test- please no enemas they are too risky and can end in disaster- usually they are really stinky like the kind that make you want to leave the room really runny and it can effect the appetite depending on how high the count is- it can also make them lethargic

Queni

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sparkles
If you are concerned about parasites you can take a fecal in and have them test- please no enemas they are too risky and can end in disaster- usually they are really stinky like the kind that make you want to leave the room really runny and it can effect the appetite depending on how high the count is- it can also make them lethargic
The vets by us want us to bring her in along with the fecal matter. The poop today was more greenish and slimy. The urate was more slimy brown than white too.

Our new bugs came in and she only ate 1 work, refused the roaches and also did not touch the special treat flowers we offered. I got the small roaches and worms though so I wonder if they are too small.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The vets by us want us to bring her in along with the fecal matter. The poop today was more greenish and slimy. The urate was more slimy brown than white too.

Our new bugs came in and she only ate 1 work, refused the roaches and also did not touch the special treat flowers we offered. I got the small roaches and worms though so I wonder if they are too small.
Ok please post a pic of the poop closer pic would be good - we can have ahbd take a look at it - what are the special treat flowers ?

Queni

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sparkles
Ok please post a pic of the poop closer pic would be good - we can have ahbd take a look at it - what are the special treat flowers ?
I threw it away since it had dried and they weren't willing to take it yesterday. If she poops today, I will post it up. The flowers are from the website you sent me and they provide them as treats so I used it as enticement for her but she had no interest lol. I'm not sure why I can't add photos on my phone but it was the dried flower pack with rose petals, chamomile, sunflower petals, etc. I put a few in her veggie dish again today so we will see what happens.

Queni

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sparkles

Attachments

• 275514739_387460246105115_8968273166143860233_n.jpg
    275514739_387460246105115_8968273166143860233_n.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 275473197_693472235341935_1709837888302191362_n.jpg
    275473197_693472235341935_1709837888302191362_n.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 69
  • 275669727_301924775342392_1043600943305486838_n.jpg
    275669727_301924775342392_1043600943305486838_n.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 275658258_985167182102527_1479260107674750027_n.jpg
    275658258_985167182102527_1479260107674750027_n.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 275510188_287963983417978_8996090692087706840_n.jpg
    275510188_287963983417978_8996090692087706840_n.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 55

Queni

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sparkles
Hello!! It is me again and I am definitely worried now. Since my first question, Sparkles started eating more and although it isn't as much as it should be, she IS enjoying the dubia roaches and on occasion, other insects. She loves kale but we try to offer alternatives too. She has been shedding the last 2 weeks and got a few short baths in that time. We slowly started taking her out for maybe 10 minutes at a time each day for the last 5 days. I don't know if this loose poop is due to stress or if we need to bring her in. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20220327_193509.jpg
    20220327_193509.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 20220327_193459.jpg
    20220327_193459.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 20220327_151024.jpg
    20220327_151024.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 59

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hello!! It is me again and I am definitely worried now. Since my first question, Sparkles started eating more and although it isn't as much as it should be, she IS enjoying the dubia roaches and on occasion, other insects. She loves kale but we try to offer alternatives too. She has been shedding the last 2 weeks and got a few short baths in that time. We slowly started taking her out for maybe 10 minutes at a time each day for the last 5 days. I don't know if this loose poop is due to stress or if we need to bring her in. Any help would be appreciated.
I wouldn't consider that loose- it does have formation - are you feeding any treat worms like horn super meal worms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom