Question on Shedding ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

slddgk

I have had my baby about 2 months, and she still hasn't had a shed for me. Just want to know if this is normal ... here is a little background up front ...

Tank Size = 20L
Heat Light = 60W Halogen Flood Light = Temps are avg 95-105 degrees
UVB Light = Repti Sun 10.0 UVB tube light (18" long)
She is on shelf liner, the grip kind.
Feeding = 50-60 crickets a day approx 30 2x's a day, 5 days a week I dust the am feeding with calcium, 2 days a week I dust the am with a multi vitamin. I offer a mixture of mustard, turnip, and kale with yellow squash, acorn squash, the occassional apple, and waxworms 3-4 once a week (just the worms are once a week) I offer the veggies every day. She nibbles and I mean nibbles lightly on the veggies, but she devours the crickets. We feed her the crickets in a seperate tank.
She gets a bath daily, and poos everyday at least once sometimes twice.
She is active.

I see a little patch of greyish white skin on the tip of her nose, it hasn't gotten much bigger and has been there for awhile, her tail is dark in color, darker nearer to the tip. She is eating more than she did when we first got her. She is getting quite the beardie belly. I am just worried. Is this normal?

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
They do tend to shed at different rates.
When they are young though, they do tend to shed pretty fast. I know you said you have had yours about 2 months, but how old is the beardie?

slddgk

Original Poster
When I got her, I was told she was 3 months ... so she is approx. 5 months old. I measured her today and when I got her, she was 8 1/2 inches long give or take a little, and she is now 10 inches. She really likes her crickets, and occasionally eats some of her veggies. I bath her practically everyday, at least I try to, normally after her she eats in the evening before she goes to bed. I did read on her that one persons beardie only shed once in like 8 months I think that is what the post said. I watch her behavior when I am home, and she is active and wonders about, now I was reading a thread on here about calcium and the importance of Vit. D3 in the calcium supplement to help them absorb the calcium, and so I went and read the label of the calcium I use, and it does not have any. So when I ordered her crickets today I got some rep-cal calcium w/D3 the one with the pink label. I do use the multivit with the blue labels twice a week. So could that be part of the reason she isn't shedding, or is she just a slow shedder, because she appear to be a healthy.

slddgk

Original Poster
When I got home today, I could see that she is beginning to shed, starting with her nose, and right around her mouth. Her tail seems to start getting that whitish look to it, but when I gave her a bath, the white faded a little, but I am sure it will be white again tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom