question about parasites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sherri

Sub-Adult Member
What type of parasites did the vet find in the fecal test?

If pinworms, then panacur is good. Usually only takes 2 doses to clear it up. My dragon had a +5 for; pinworms, coccidia and protazoa :(

2 doses of panacur for the pinworms was all it took. You do not have to get panacur from the vet. A couple of people here on the boards sells it.

2 doses of Ponazuril and our guy was totally clear of coccidia. I was VERY diligent about keeping the tank clean. Took everything out and if he pooped in there I cleaned it up immediately with a little ammonia and then I steamed it once I got a steamer...but for the first week I just did a diluted ammonia wipe and then rinse every day he pooped in it.

The vet will have to prescribe the Ponazuril from *Road Runner Pharmacy* (web search and you will find it). It is WAY less harsh than the Albon and works very fast most of the time.

If he has protazoa as well then you will have to have a prescription. My guy is on Metronidazole, he is on his 2nd round, these seem to be hard to get rid of but if there is a high count you want to get it lower.

So, what are the counts from the fecal test? Also, for the next time, you do not have to take your beardie in to get a fecal done, just take the sample in within 2 hours of him going (refrigerate if you can't take it right away) and they will test it. You only need to take your beardie in IF he is positive. Hope this helps :D

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
Terminator7777":42fixtmd said:
What is the best why to cure parasites without using the harmful chemicals a vet would give you to help your dragon start eating again?

Did you ever take your dragons to the vet? You've been posting about this problem for a while now. Your best option is to take them to the vet, have a float done, and follow the instructions of the vet. Parasites in all animals are almost impossible to get out naturally, since they are primed to survive in a specific environment. Only when the host dies, does the parasite naturally die. I doubt that there is a way to kill the parasites without killing your dragons if you don't use the drugs.

GeckoGarden

Sub-Adult Member
If your having seconded thoughts again I will buy the two little ones from you still

Though I doubt either of your babies have parasites if they are from a good breeder

Terminator7777

Juvie Member
Original Poster
KitsuneGem":2n53nlzg said:
If your having seconded thoughts again I will buy the two little ones from you still

Though I doubt either of your babies have parasites if they are from a good breeder

Well if you would say bigappleherp.com is a good breeder then yes. Just with the signs of coccidias and parasites i feel they may have a problem. Also they are still babys a red phase and a citrus hypo dragons and for both 280 dollars and am not paying 40 dollars again to have them shipped. Also does anyone sell albon or that other one online a url link would be appreciated i have a older dragon as well with diarrea. Good day

Sherri

Sub-Adult Member
It is hard to not to worry about our little critters and I am grateful we all found this board :)

*edited* I apologize if my post before seemed harsh, I honestly meant it to be informative :oops: Guess I *spoke* fast LOL

Terminator7777

Juvie Member
Original Poster
If they have non smelly stools and pure white urates does that mean anything good. The thing that got me is that when they go sometimes it has a half dollar size round liquid around the stool somethings clear and sometimes a light brown.

Gail

BD.org Addict
Albon stops the coccidia from reproducing but doesn't kill it, thats why it often comes back. Ponazuril kills the coccidia.
Their poo sounds normal, the excess liquid just means they are well hydrated. Coccidia will cause completely runny, horribly smelly poo. I think your babies are fine, how are they eating now?

Sherri

Sub-Adult Member
I would trust Gail with any info she gives! She has been so very very helpful to me and others and has a beautiful dragon named Jupiter! Check out her photo thread :mrgreen:

Terminator7777

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Sherri":ne76mj8l said:
I would trust Gail with any info she gives! She has been so very very helpful to me and others and has a beautiful dragon named Jupiter! Check out her photo thread :mrgreen:

I trust her and will check them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pooper
Top Bottom