Question about my beardie

Commander Crapper

Beardie name(s)
Merlin
Hello

I've had Merlin for quite some time, & as of the last couple of months, I noticed his back legs were not working. My first thought was constipation, so I took him out more (after he had been inactive from my brother abandoning support for him & my parents who tried their best to take care of him in the house for quite some time) & managed to get him to poop, & no longer be constipated. Big woop for the time, I noticed he was moving his legs again. However, he was actively avoiding using them for support unless absolutely necessary. (I've caught him a couple times using his back legs for support when pooping, but that's about it) I'm kind of lost on what he could have that's still preventing him from using his back legs. I can't afford a vet, as my family is struggling enough already & I can't afford it myself either. I would do anything to take him & make him better, but vets are very expensive, & I hate to watch him suffer like this. :(

Can anyone be so kind as to help me figure out what's wrong & how to cure it without a vet? I appreciate it. I attached a setup of his cage (although it is very recent, the lamps & carpet especially have been replaced to help him move around easier & stay warmer)

Attachments

• CARPETING.jpg
    CARPETING.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 111

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello

I've had Merlin for quite some time, & as of the last couple of months, I noticed his back legs were not working. My first thought was constipation, so I took him out more (after he had been inactive from my brother abandoning support for him & my parents who tried their best to take care of him in the house for quite some time) & managed to get him to poop, & no longer be constipated. Big woop for the time, I noticed he was moving his legs again. However, he was actively avoiding using them for support unless absolutely necessary. (I've caught him a couple times using his back legs for support when pooping, but that's about it) I'm kind of lost on what he could have that's still preventing him from using his back legs. I can't afford a vet, as my family is struggling enough already & I can't afford it myself either. I would do anything to take him & make him better, but vets are very expensive, & I hate to watch him suffer like this. :(

Can anyone be so kind as to help me figure out what's wrong & how to cure it without a vet? I appreciate it. I attached a setup of his cage (although it is very recent, the lamps & carpet especially have been replaced to help him move around easier & stay warmer)
Your dragon looks ill- if your using a MVB what brand and bulb? I recommend getting a long tube fixture like a 24" Zoo Med w/ a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 this is imperative or you can get a 24 watt Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb - Pet Smart has started carrying these please look there for that UVB --- your dragon is not getting enough UVB and this would cause lack of use of the dragons legs and the issues w/ pooping - he needs proper basking temps of 95-100 and good UVB -- --- hes developing MBD-- Your dragon needs a hide and please get rid of the sand ---- you can get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner from Walmart or your local home improvement store -- cut it to the size of the tank and clean w/ vinegar/water 50/50 -- also how are you taking surface basking temps ? Please get two digital probe thermometers - I am going to post links for this stuff
24" Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood this will come w/a 5.0 bulb hang on to it for back up - distance and placement is different from the bulb you need 22" Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor guy, so sorry he isn't doing well.
Based on the pictures, it appears that you are using a compact/coil light for your UVB?
As Karrie suggested, it is imperative to get a stronger more effective UVB because it
sounds like he has rear leg weakness & possible neurological problems. That would be
caused by lack of proper UVB & poor calcium absorption which leads to metabolic bone
disease.
How often are you giving him calcium?
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Commander Crapper

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Merlin
What uvb are using? Also, how much calcium is he getting?
He's getting more calcium now, but I remember that we used to feed him superworms for his main diet (which is a really bad idea, wasn't known to us at the time, because it's high in phosphorus which drains calcium). Now it's a mix of crickets, lettuce, & blueberries. The UVB I'm using is a ReptiSun 10.0 Mini Compact Fluorescent.

Commander Crapper

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Merlin
Your dragon looks ill- if your using a MVB what brand and bulb? I recommend getting a long tube fixture like a 24" Zoo Med w/ a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 this is imperative or you can get a 24 watt Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb - Pet Smart has started carrying these please look there for that UVB --- your dragon is not getting enough UVB and this would cause lack of use of the dragons legs and the issues w/ pooping - he needs proper basking temps of 95-100 and good UVB -- --- hes developing MBD-- Your dragon needs a hide and please get rid of the sand ---- you can get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner from Walmart or your local home improvement store -- cut it to the size of the tank and clean w/ vinegar/water 50/50 -- also how are you taking surface basking temps ? Please get two digital probe thermometers - I am going to post links for this stuff
24" Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood this will come w/a 5.0 bulb hang on to it for back up - distance and placement is different from the bulb you need 22" Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO
Tha brand & bulb is a ReptiSun 10.0 Mini Compact Fluorescent. I'll look into the zoo med UVB tube & light, thanks. I actually tried looking around my local petsmart for a UVB tube recently, but to no avail unfortunately. The sand I don't think I can get rid of because it provides higher grounding closer to the light, because the cage is pretty high up (it's a very old cage that my dad brought down, which he used as an aquarium when he had a roommate) & the extra leverage given by the sand makes Merlin closer to the heat & UVB. I did, however, put a carpet over it, so hopefully the sand will not be as much of an issue. I'll look into good hides for Merlin, although I don't think he'll use it that much as he's a very big lizard & might not be able to fit under it. But, it's necessary for him regardless. Thanks for all the help :)

Commander Crapper

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Merlin
Hello,

Poor guy, so sorry he isn't doing well.
Based on the pictures, it appears that you are using a compact/coil light for your UVB?
As Karrie suggested, it is imperative to get a stronger more effective UVB because it
sounds like he has rear leg weakness & possible neurological problems. That would be
caused by lack of proper UVB & poor calcium absorption which leads to metabolic bone
disease.
How often are you giving him calcium?
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie
I think I'm using a compact light (the lightbulb itself is like 2 really thin U shaped lights connected on 1 point, with the bottom facing towards his tank. I know that's not the best description but that's the best I can do lol) I've started giving him more calcium as of late, & if you see my response to Karrie's message, you can see what happened with his calcium intake. Right now, he's actually doing pretty fine, he's just chilling on his rock after I took him outside to bask in the sun.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Tha brand & bulb is a ReptiSun 10.0 Mini Compact Fluorescent. I'll look into the zoo med UVB tube & light, thanks. I actually tried looking around my local petsmart for a UVB tube recently, but to no avail unfortunately. The sand I don't think I can get rid of because it provides higher grounding closer to the light, because the cage is pretty high up (it's a very old cage that my dad brought down, which he used as an aquarium when he had a roommate) & the extra leverage given by the sand makes Merlin closer to the heat & UVB. I did, however, put a carpet over it, so hopefully the sand will not be as much of an issue. I'll look into good hides for Merlin, although I don't think he'll use it that much as he's a very big lizard & might not be able to fit under it. But, it's necessary for him regardless. Thanks for all the help :)
Please get the uvb replaced as soon as you can - he's not going to survive w/ out it - I can post links to get one - all the things I posted earlier are crucial to his health- you don't want him so far gone he can't bounce back- look for different decor he can climb on and take the screen off for the uvb-- for a T 5 distance is 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor - I can't stress this enough-

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, please upgrade your UVB light if you can! The type/brand of UVB is very important for
their health. The compact/coil lights aren't as strong so he wont really get adequate UVB & can
develop metabolic bone disease. He will be able to absorb calcium more effectively with a better
UVB light.
How is he doing today?

Tracie

Jacqssss

Hello

Calcium and other supplements are needed for your beardie weekly. 2 items needed and will last around 4 months. Also lighting is essential for their health. They need the right heat and lighting to live as domestic lizards
Hello

Also sand is fine as long as he isn't eating it

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom