Question about ADV

Vexor1717

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Shenron
Hello, my beardie recently passed and we are getting another but I am concerned that he may have had ADV as well. He passed from gout but he had neuro issues that the vet thought was from the gout in nervous system. We had asked about getting him tested for ADV but they said it was pointless. What I'm trying to figure outbis how long it can survive outside the body. Of course we are going to thoroughly sanitize and probably get a steamer but I would set my mind at ease if I knew how long it can survive outside the body. Thanks!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is a good question & it usually has several answers.
It has been known to survive & be stable in higher temperatures like under 100F for a week or so.
At room temperature a few weeks & if colder possibly a few months.
Most of the time unless directly ingested they can't pick it up that way.
All you need to do is spray bleach or diluted bleach onto the area & let it sit a minute or two & it will
kill it. Or you can use a steamer also if you would like.
No worries!
Sorry your dragon passed, from gout. That is awful especially when they are so young.

Tracie

Vexor1717

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Shenron
Hello,

It has been known to survive & be stable in higher temperatures like under 100F for a week or so.
All you need to do is spray bleach or diluted bleach onto the area & let it sit a minute or two & it will
No worries!
Sorry your dragon passed, from gout. That is awful especially when they are so young.

Tracie
Thank you again you are always a huge help with Shenron! Here's our new baby coming home this week. I know we need to get a fecal asap but is there any other advice for having a new baby? Thanks!
Screenshot_20230514_085812_MorphMarket.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You are welcome.
Just be sure any of the tank items that were porous are properly disinfected. The tank should
be sanitized if possible. You can use a steamer for the tank. If you do use bleach in the tank,
be mindful of rinsing it very thoroughly & letting it airdry before putting anything back in. It sounds
like you have time though to get any cleaning done before getting him.

Tracie

Vexor1717

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Shenron
Hello,

You are welcome.
Just be sure any of the tank items that were porous are properly disinfected. The tank should
be sanitized if possible. You can use a steamer for the tank. If you do use bleach in the tank,
be mindful of rinsing it very thoroughly & letting it airdry before putting anything back in. It sounds
like you have time though to get any cleaning done before getting him.

Tracie
Will do! Thanks! One small issue I've had is that dubias found a corner of the tank where they climbed into the metal frame. Hopefully a shop vac can pull them out.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Hello,

No worries!

Tracie
Is there any way you can make this come to the top of the list when someone searches about ADV? This is the first time I've seen instructions on how to clean and time frame for ADV. It is very useful information.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Thank you again you are always a huge help with Shenron! Here's our new baby coming home this week. I know we need to get a fecal asap but is there any other advice for having a new baby? Thanks! View attachment 80416
That is a gorgeous baby. And it looks old enough to thrive. (Pet stores are selling babies that are way to young, they set people up for failure). My advice on babies is be very mindful of hydration. Babies live in hotter conditions and they can/will dehydrate faster than older dragons.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How are things going? When do you bring your new baby home?
Thanks, I can consider putting it as a sticky. We do get a pretty good number of inquiries
on cleaning that are adeno related.

Tracie

Vexor1717

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Shenron
That is a gorgeous baby. And it looks old enough to thrive. (Pet stores are selling babies that are way to young, they set people up for failure). My advice on babies is be very mindful of hydration. Babies live in hotter conditions and they can/will dehydrate faster than older dragons.
Thank you. Should I dropper feed him water? That's what we did for the Shenron when he got sick.

Vexor1717

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Shenron
Hello,

How are things going? When do you bring your new baby home?
Thanks, I can consider putting it as a sticky. We do get a pretty good number of inquiries
on cleaning that are adeno related.

Tracie
Pretty good here thank you. I purchased him on Morphmarket and the breeder is sending him today and I will receive him on Wednesday. I'm going to study up and relearn everything so I make sure he stays healthy. I have calcium with and without D3. I know the d3 should only be given once a week if at all right? I also have powdered vitamins do you think I should use those? I'm going to make a daily feeding chart as well. Thanks!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I would use an eyedropper for water, thats the easiest way I've found to control how much I'm giving. A syringe is harder to not squirt to much at a time.
Vitamins should be given 2 to 3 times per week.
As far as d3 i think it mostly depends on your lighting. If you have good uvb them d3 kind of a moot point. If the lighting is not so good, it may help them absord calcium better. I keep my lights on point and the vets have told me multiple times to not use the d3.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom