Purchasing feeders online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gail

BD.org Addict
I've not had problems with the ASF killing each other but I have had some canniblism. Usually its a young female or if they colony is disturbed. My softies know me and I can touch the babies but if anyone else gets in their cage it cause quite to uproar, they constantly move the babies around looking for a safe place and if that fails then they kill them.

I will have to try some vanilla, I keep hearing about it and we have a very stinky male rat so I can see how well it works. I've been using well water with my rodents for over 4 yrs now, never had any problems from it not being sterilized.

Podunk

Sub-Adult Member
wizeguy":618b7 said:
1) Do you buy or breed your feeders. I buy ALL of my feeders

2) if buy - do you buy local or internet I use Rodentpro.com

3) if internet - are you happy and if not, why. I have been using Rodentpro.com for over two years and have no complaints at all. Their rodents are clean, consistent and individually frozen. Everything comes in heavy duty zip lock style bags and I have never received an order that was only half frozen.

4) if internet, what is your biggest complaint (even if you are happy, there is always something) In all honesty, I have no complaints.

5) how many do you buy at a time? I usually purchase 50 or 100 lbs of frozen rodents per order.

I have 8 Boa's ranging from about 16 lbs to just over 70 grams. I also keep corn snakes, although I only have 2 at this time. I keep a small chest freezer just for my feeders, and if possible never buy my feeders from local pet stores.

When purchasing rodents I look for a few things. Cleanliness is the BIGGEST thing, I can not stand yellow rats or mice, that makes me twitch. Customer service is important as well, if I do have an issue, I want to resolve it as quickly as possible. Then there is price, especially important in this day and age. Although price is a big factor, if the first two conditons are met, I'm willing to pay a little more for the product.

Good luck with your venture.

wizeguy

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
This project is still underway. We have stadarized our sizes and prices. Nothing has gone "live" yet, though. We are lookign into watering systems now as we have just under 400 mouths to feed :shock: :shock:

wizeguy

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Well I am happy to say that our first few ads have been released and we are begining to get some calls for product. We aer working with some persons setting up some type of monthly payment/ delivery or a biweekly. Also have a few folks wanting to buy large quantity of females to start their own colonies with, which we are not entertaining. We are starting small as we realize that there are things we are unable to still do that we want. Initially we need to make money for purchasing food and then we are going to build more racks to increase our capacity and finally a watering system. and a portion of our money goes towards constantly buildign that up. So for now we are not offering shipping and do not have a website. We do not want to attract business we can not handle.

all in due time

wizeguy

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
so we ran into a bit of trouble with Kingsnake in that if they do not have your business license on file, you are unable to post ads with them. We dragged our feet on that but finally squared it away. We are still not shipping and we are actually at a point now where our costs are being covered by sales locally. Yesterday was our biggest day to date with about 225 rats of various sizes being ordered. We are really in need of expanding now also before we can begin shipping. I can build racks with my eyes closed and hands tied behind my back right now but I hate doing it - I am thinking of looking for someone local to do it for us. What we think we are going to do is continue with the local business and let all profit go back into expanding with racks, watering systems, supplies and extra tubs, and larger freezer space and packing supplies

clear

Sub-Adult Member
I breed my own rats, mice and asf. Id love to see what your racks look like, right now I only have 2 and I have done some updates on them after this picture was taken.

The top 4 are breeder tubs and the bottom 2 are weaning tubs. I have 3 females to 1 male per green tub.

PA080182.jpg

My other rack I am using cement mixing tubs form home depot, (they are the same at lowes except cheaper at home depot). It is 7 tubs high with 1/2 mesh with a watering system attached to it. I just recently bought 28 more tubs so that I can make the 7tub rack just for ASF and the 28 tubs will be for the rats.

Tiantha

Hatchling Member
Allergic to rats and mice...yeah...having them in the house is bad for me so I buy local. I have never bought on line so for those who have talked abotu who what how and why thanks!

:)

frog

Sub-Adult Member
When I had my cornsnake i didnt order online; when the minimum is 100 there is no point getting 100 pinkies when you only have one snake that only needs about 20 before it gets too big for them! Only when the snake is full grown will i start ordering online (when i get another snake- i lost my other before it was full grown. But it will be a while before i get it anyways; im just saying what I plan on doing. :wink: ) because then they eat the same size of feeder.

But rodentpro.com has very high shipping prices. i have found different sites that have lower ones. I know, im cheap. :lol: :roll:

Sara

Trogdor80

Hatchling Member
I had a ball(that I had till it died of old age) as well as several burmies, boas, and bloods that I rescued till I could find a permanent home. Even a reticulated I had till I could find a permanent home.

When my ball was small enough that it only ate mice I went to pet store, as cheap as they are it wasn't worth breeding, and she wouldn't eat frozen.

When it got big enough for small to medium rats I started breeding hamsters. They don't get huge like rats, they are also easier to give away/sell if they breed faster than your snake can eat. They where also big enough for the burmies, boas, and bloods.

The reticulated was Effing huge. I never had enough people to hold it to measure it but it was 24 feet if it was an inch. I usually feed it a frozen turkey. I even feed it a roadkill doe deer that it easily digested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom