Puff and hiss

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronni1221

Juvie Member
I gave Brutus a bath today, and for the first time, he actually looked like he was enjoying it. He flattened his body and just sat, rocking with the waves I made in the little tub. He was doing this thing where he'd slighty inflate his beard and then rush the air out, making a quick "pssst" noise. I thought maybe he got some water in his nostrils? Anyone else see their dragon do this?

My beardy does this when i give her a bath...Ayame hates the bath!! But she needs baths since she wont drink outta a bowl whether its moving or not but at least she always wants to cuddle with me afterwards. As far as why im not sure but i think its to regulate how much air the keep in to stay afloat...like a built in life jacket...if anyone knows that actual reason why i would love to know.

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
I have this issue with Kyle all the time. She used to have a complete phobia about water, but has got a lot better with a year's worth of persistence and bloody-mindedness.

A beardie nervous of the water with sook in air with gulping motions to inflate the body - they puff up like balloons. When they've calmed down, discovered the water's not THAT deep or got tired of trying to hold it all tight and taut like a zeppelin, then yes they will deflate with a loud Pssssssht noise :)

Other beardie noises are a "groinch" sound - Tsam makes it when we're feeding him cabbage because he tries to avoid it, he really doesn't like it - as well as various hisses. Tsam hunkers and goes "Hurrrrssssssssk" at my snake in her tank, whilst Kyle will "Fissss". Oh, and the little "gritgritgrit" of a beardie dreaming s/he's eating.

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
Dragons aren't extremely vocal as a rule, some owners will never hear some of the noises. I just got lucky with Tsam because he's a fiesty young boy and hates my snake!

Ayame isnt too vocal :( but her body language and faces tell all!!! she makes sounds in the bath and at my ferret and thats its...the things she hates i guess.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
When Ruben is especially ticked off I will get hissed at.
Its usually when he's shedding and its bath time. As Im lowering him in he'll thrash around and hiss at me.
Big girls blouse!

ronni1221

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Ethelia":65540 said:
When Ruben is especially ticked off I will get hissed at.
Its usually when he's shedding and its bath time. As Im lowering him in he'll thrash around and hiss at me.
Big girls blouse!

"Why mommy, why?!?!?!?!" Brutus seems fine in the bath. He's white underneath and seems curious enough when he's in the tub. This hissing thing is a new development. He's never done it before. He's not posturing- opening his mouth and inflating his beard. His mouth is completely closed when he makes the noises. That's why I was curious what it was. Thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaylahoneyy
Top Bottom