Proper storage Butterworms and BSFL

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Hey guys I tend to put my Butterworms in my fridge door and they last for some time so I found that out. But since BSFL are small my Chubbs will eat a ton of them but overtime I noticed she can't eat the hardened ones. Is there a way I can slow down them and keep them alive and wiggly rather than them becoming hardened?
Once they are hardened I have no use for them so I waste 100+ unless they become the black soldier fly and then my Chubbs can eat them no problem

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hey guys I tend to put my Butterworms in my fridge door and they last for some time so I found that out. But since BSFL are small my Chubbs will eat a ton of them but overtime I noticed she can't eat the hardened ones. Is there a way I can slow down them and keep them alive and wiggly rather than them becoming hardened?
Once they are hardened I have no use for them so I waste 100+ unless they become the black soldier fly and then my Chubbs can eat them no problem
Where are you getting the butter worms from? I would only order small amounts of them -

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Where are you getting the butter worms from? I would only order small amounts of them -
Butterworms I get from Josh's Frogs I get about 25-75 and they last 2 months or more and the BSFL I get from the same place. The BSFL are really cheap I think like $4.50 per 25-50 count but the Butters are pricy and sold out half the time. The BSFL I can't store in anything besides their original plastic ventilated container

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Butterworms I get from Josh's Frogs I get about 25-75 and they last 2 months or more and the BSFL I get from the same place. The BSFL are really cheap I think like $4.50 per 25-50 count but the Butters are pricy and sold out half the time. The BSFL I can't store in anything besides their original plastic ventilated container
Yes on the bsfl- when I was ordering them (butter worms) I usually ordered 25 and did have some die- I never kept them in the fridge tho- so I am not sure how to keep them alive longer and yes they are expensive - they are imported from chile

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Yes on the bsfl- when I was ordering them (butter worms) I usually ordered 25 and did have some die- I never kept them in the fridge tho- so I am not sure how to keep them alive longer and yes they are expensive - they are imported from chile
I have had to do 2 day shipments bc sometimes they have delays and I have gotten some dead on arrival it's only $2 more at least

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Is there a way I can slow down them and keep them alive and wiggly rather than them becoming hardened?
The door of the fridge is too cold for BSFL. You can store them in a wine fridge (around 55 degrees) and that will make them last for a couple months. Once they are brought back to room temp they will be active.

And 5 bucks for 25-50 is a lot.
On BSF Feeders
you can get 1000 of them for around $20 depending on the size you get. Even if you don't have a wine cooler, if you have a cooler area of your house, or even a Styrofoam box you can use a small ice pack to keep the temp down they will last longer.

As far as butterworms go, the door of your fridge is a good place if you want them to last. You should get a month or so out of them from that. Once again, bringing them back to room temp livens them up.

-Brandon

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
The door of the fridge is too cold for BSFL. You can store them in a wine fridge (around 55 degrees) and that will make them last for a couple months. Once they are brought back to room temp they will be active.

And 5 bucks for 25-50 is a lot.
On BSF Feeders
you can get 1000 of them for around $20 depending on the size you get. Even if you don't have a wine cooler, if you have a cooler area of your house, or even a Styrofoam box you can use a small ice pack to keep the temp down they will last longer.

As far as butterworms go, the door of your fridge is a good place if you want them to last. You should get a month or so out of them from that. Once again, bringing them back to room temp livens them up.

-Brandon
I get extra large BSFL they could be cheaper I haven't bought many due to my beardie not passing them correctly especially if they are harder

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom