Proper storage Butterworms and BSFL

TheBeard9789

Juvie Member
Hey guys I tend to put my Butterworms in my fridge door and they last for some time so I found that out. But since BSFL are small my Chubbs will eat a ton of them but overtime I noticed she can't eat the hardened ones. Is there a way I can slow down them and keep them alive and wiggly rather than them becoming hardened?
Once they are hardened I have no use for them so I waste 100+ unless they become the black soldier fly and then my Chubbs can eat them no problem

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 4 and Blaze is 3
Hey guys I tend to put my Butterworms in my fridge door and they last for some time so I found that out. But since BSFL are small my Chubbs will eat a ton of them but overtime I noticed she can't eat the hardened ones. Is there a way I can slow down them and keep them alive and wiggly rather than them becoming hardened?
Once they are hardened I have no use for them so I waste 100+ unless they become the black soldier fly and then my Chubbs can eat them no problem
Where are you getting the butter worms from? I would only order small amounts of them -

TheBeard9789

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Where are you getting the butter worms from? I would only order small amounts of them -
Butterworms I get from Josh's Frogs I get about 25-75 and they last 2 months or more and the BSFL I get from the same place. The BSFL are really cheap I think like $4.50 per 25-50 count but the Butters are pricy and sold out half the time. The BSFL I can't store in anything besides their original plastic ventilated container

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 4 and Blaze is 3
Butterworms I get from Josh's Frogs I get about 25-75 and they last 2 months or more and the BSFL I get from the same place. The BSFL are really cheap I think like $4.50 per 25-50 count but the Butters are pricy and sold out half the time. The BSFL I can't store in anything besides their original plastic ventilated container
Yes on the bsfl- when I was ordering them (butter worms) I usually ordered 25 and did have some die- I never kept them in the fridge tho- so I am not sure how to keep them alive longer and yes they are expensive - they are imported from chile

TheBeard9789

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yes on the bsfl- when I was ordering them (butter worms) I usually ordered 25 and did have some die- I never kept them in the fridge tho- so I am not sure how to keep them alive longer and yes they are expensive - they are imported from chile
I have had to do 2 day shipments bc sometimes they have delays and I have gotten some dead on arrival it's only $2 more at least

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Is there a way I can slow down them and keep them alive and wiggly rather than them becoming hardened?
The door of the fridge is too cold for BSFL. You can store them in a wine fridge (around 55 degrees) and that will make them last for a couple months. Once they are brought back to room temp they will be active.

And 5 bucks for 25-50 is a lot.
On BSF Feeders
you can get 1000 of them for around $20 depending on the size you get. Even if you don't have a wine cooler, if you have a cooler area of your house, or even a Styrofoam box you can use a small ice pack to keep the temp down they will last longer.

As far as butterworms go, the door of your fridge is a good place if you want them to last. You should get a month or so out of them from that. Once again, bringing them back to room temp livens them up.

-Brandon

TheBeard9789

Juvie Member
Original Poster
The door of the fridge is too cold for BSFL. You can store them in a wine fridge (around 55 degrees) and that will make them last for a couple months. Once they are brought back to room temp they will be active.

And 5 bucks for 25-50 is a lot.
On BSF Feeders
you can get 1000 of them for around $20 depending on the size you get. Even if you don't have a wine cooler, if you have a cooler area of your house, or even a Styrofoam box you can use a small ice pack to keep the temp down they will last longer.

As far as butterworms go, the door of your fridge is a good place if you want them to last. You should get a month or so out of them from that. Once again, bringing them back to room temp livens them up.

-Brandon
I get extra large BSFL they could be cheaper I haven't bought many due to my beardie not passing them correctly especially if they are harder

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I see my lizard is being given Allopurinol 100ml tablet 10mg/ml (0.4) and tramadol 0.2ml every other day to help with gout. I have tramadol at home can I water it down and give it to her and if so do anyone know how much to water down ?
323A2CAE-899F-4592-90D2-DC37D45A30F1.jpeg

Baby photo! Look at how little and cute I was!!!
C34BF977-474F-4233-BF7E-8C797567E429.jpeg
Buffy snuggling with my partner!!!
Gout in bearded dragons
So freaking handsome I just love youuuuu so much 💕

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix9527
Top Bottom