Prolly shud be in the diy section.

Status
Not open for further replies.

slantedii

Hatchling Member
But, nobody looks at that section anyway...lol, anyways, some people asked for a few pictures and a step by step on how i did my back ground, so here ya go. I simplified it because, well, im lazy.
This is about 5 pieces of 1.5 inch styrofoam cust to size and glued together with a standard silicone adhesive
DSC02893.jpg

This is the result of me hacking away at the styrofoam while watching my favorite show (House!!!)
DSC02895.jpg

This is after i jumped the gun and decided to put this cement mix my brother convinced me to put on it...it was still pretty wet when i took the pic
DSC02900.jpg

This is it when it is dry
DSC02901.jpg

This is it in the tank
DSC02906.jpg

Then i sat around for a week and sulked at how bad it came out and how disappointed i was. Then the next weekend i took a hammer to it and knocked all the cement off, started chiseling designs into the basic shape, when i got the desired look i took my blow torch to it
DSC02918.jpg

Then i put like 5 layers of grout on it, and voila!
DSC02936.jpg

havent sealed it yet, looking for a non toxic all surface sealer that also allows for a very matte finish, i dont want shiny rocks, lol. Enjoy, and message me with any questions.

Steven1

Wow, that's brilliant - the last picture looks great. Is it entirely safe using styrofoam and cement mix?

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
slantedii":506d7 said:
But, nobody looks at that section anyway...

You got that right. I had never even noticed that section. I saw your post and I was like, "what dyi section"! :lol: I actually went out to look! :oops:
I learned something!

And the background looks great. Good job!

slantedii

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanx, im currently working on one for my brothers alligator lizard, and for his turtles. Need something to do on the weekends...lol

slantedii

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Looking for a good acrylic sealer if anyone has personal experience with one it would be appreciated

LJean

Extreme Poster
That looks awesome. I like them both, the first and after you fixed it to your liking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom