Prolapse after-care?

Status
Not open for further replies.

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
NOTE: MARI WAS ALREADY TREATED BY A VET, SHE’S FINE NOW, I CAUGHT IT JUST AS IT HAPPENED AND TOOK HER STRAIGHT TO THE VET. (I looked homeless as I was in my pajamas with unbrushed hair and was covered in beardie poop but my pet is okay so it was 11/10 worth it. My pets are literally the most important thing to me.)

Today Mari had a prolapse because she ate a long piece of felt that she tried to poop out but couldn’t so she prolapsed hence why I rushed her across my state to a reptile vet (no enemas) to get it removed and fixed. The vet successfully removed the strip of felt that she swallowed & her prolapse went in with just some electrolyte solution and anti inflammatory injectables so the vet said she didn’t need stitches unless it happens again. (Mari is under strict supervision from here on out so she can’t eat any more inedible objects, she’s currently asleep for the night with a completely normal looking vent.)

Anyways I have a few questions about after-care.

1. When should I provide vegetables for her again?
2. When should I return to feeding her bugs?
3. Should she sleep at an ambient temp of 80°F or is this overkill?
4. Can she climb while healing or does she need to have a hospital tank setup?
5. When can I bathe her again because she stinks like poop because she kinda had a poop covered piece of felt touching her tail for a long time during the drive to the vet.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad you were able to get her prolapse taken care of quickly! As the vet said, it may not need any further treatment (stitches for example) if it doesn't continue to happen. I would focus on feeding her soft foods for a while, so they are easier to digest and pass. Things like squash or even puree/baby food veges. Soft bugs like BSFL or silk worms should be OK too I'd imagine. I would probably offer a bit less than usual for a little while as well. I probably wouldn't worry too much about ambient sleeping temps as long as it's reasonable in the tank - low to mid 70s is usually just fine. I don't think climbing or bathing will cause an issue. If baths tend to cause her to poop, you may want to opt for a bath using a soapy washcloth and just give her a rinse rather than letting her soak at least for the next few days.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, sorry you and Mari had to go through this stressful situation ! Was the rectum actually hanging out [ big red glob ] or mostly just the felt + the poo ? Where did she get the felt from ? If it was in her tank as nesting be sure to get it all out. Our scaly friends are kind of dense sometimes and stuff anything in their faces.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, poor Mari, that was a terrible ordeal she had to go through & then stressful for you!
It sounds like she has really improved though.
I agree, soft foods for now, at least a week or two would be a good idea. Be sure any softer
bodied worms are small, to make it easier for her to digest & or pass through.
I don't think climbing is an issue but definitely try to keep anything sharp away from her so
she doesn't get hurt. Is she moving around alright? At least she seems to be doing well
right now. Let us know how she is doing!

Tracie

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Sorry, it’s been a week but Mari has been totally back to normal and even took a well-hydrated poop on my floor while roaming. (And got it on her a bit… washing poo off of the skin surrounding her vent was disgusting but she’s all clean now and making a -_- look at me because she wants to be left alone.) The vet did an excellent job and I’m surprised she’s been so active after passing a giant piece of felt, having a prolapse for the hour and a half drive (I was going as fast as I could because I felt so sorry for her) and then having to go a full 24 hours without even vegetables just to give her GI tract a rest. In the meantime I’ve been keeping my arts and crafts supplies out of her reach so she can’t eat any more pieces of fabric. I even sewed her a cushion to bask on but she doesn’t use it much. Anyways Mari has been running around, jumping, and climbing like usual. She has an orange beard and is overall very healthy looking.

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
Original Poster
AHBD":3b1j10ik said:
Hi there, sorry you and Mari had to go through this stressful situation ! Was the rectum actually hanging out [ big red glob ] or mostly just the felt + the poo ? Where did she get the felt from ? If it was in her tank as nesting be sure to get it all out. Our scaly friends are kind of dense sometimes and stuff anything in their faces.

It was her actual rectum, like a tube of bright red intestine. (Hence why I jumped in the car in my pajamas to get her help. I was mainly worried about it desiccating so I had her under a blanket to try to keep humidity up.) Mari got the felt while roaming when I wasn’t looking as I had my craft stuff on the floor. Since then I have kept everything away in bins and only take out what I’m immediately using because she was so sneaky about it. I assume she’s gonna swallow everything so I pick it all up now when she’s out.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am glad to hear that Mari is back to normal now & doing much better! It is very stressful
on them, for sure.
It sounds like she is eating well & active now. You can post pictures of her anytime, just so
we can see her beauty.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom