Problems breathing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I have 2 beardies, a 1 1/2 year old male and a 2 year old female. When I rescued my female, Pancake, she was severely overweight and couldn't walk, and just barely managed to drag herself around. She seemed to have trouble breathing, and I assumed it was because of her weight. But as I was giving her kisses a couple days ago I noticed her nostrils looked a bit odd. I figured it was shed skin laying on her nose, but as I removed it, more substance was behind it. Is this just shed skin that was stuck, or should I be more concerned? Ty for all help!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
You’ve got a nose shed there :)
They shed the inside if their nose and ears just like the rest of them. Sometimes the bit in the nose doesn’t pull out with the rest of the face shed. The nose holes are deep, so it can be shocking how long they are.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Yep, that's called a "Nose Plug", and it's simply the shed skin from the inside lining of their nostrils. Perfectly normal. Just as an FYI, sometimes when they are shedding their face/head and this includes their nostrils, if one or even worse both nostrils are shedding and have plugs, they can seemingly have trouble breathing, because they have to breath through their mouths if both nostrils have a plug. That's probably what you were hearing/seeing her do, and it can be alarming if you don't know what's going on, but it's all perfectly normal. Sometimes they do need help pulling the nose plugs out, so if she's every shedding her nostrils and you see the loose shed sticking out of her nostril, very gently pull it completely out like you did here.

fcooper

Hatchling Member
I have a baby beardie, and he runs onto my hand and rubs against my fingers when he is shedding!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom