Probably silly substrate question.

Mattcha Mama

Beardie name(s)
Mattcha and Nessie
I should preface this with I don’t use substrate, I put grouted tile in our terrarium. However When I was researching substrates, I keep seeing that you shouldn’t use sand bc it is bad for them. Ummmm they normally live in the dessert. Been awhile since I have been to the dessert but pretty sure I remember sand and lots of it. So why do they say not to use it as a substrate.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I should preface this with I don’t use substrate, I put grouted tile in our terrarium. However When I was researching substrates, I keep seeing that you shouldn’t use sand bc it is bad for them. Ummmm they normally live in the dessert. Been awhile since I have been to the dessert but pretty sure I remember sand and lots of it. So why do they say not to use it as a substrate.
There is some sand in Australia but they are not on it constantly --- baby dragons and sand dont mix no pun intended --- babies lick EVERYTHING and it is not recommended for them when young -- if you want to use it after they get older when they get out of the licking stage - great - also babies are clumsy eaters as well so they would ingest more of it as well --- sand will build up in the intestine tract and they cannot pass it or will have a terrible time doing it -- so its just best to stay away from it --

Kim4105

Beardie name(s)
Archie
Our vet just told us yesterday that if we wanted to use loose substrate, get organic top soil and no sand. They said that the sand can cause impaction.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Our vet just told us yesterday that if we wanted to use loose substrate, get organic top soil and no sand. They said that the sand can cause impaction.
Which is true if you mix the two of them it should be ok --- its up to you --

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom