Prepping a Dubia Colony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jlillywhite

Original Poster
Hey everyone. I’m planning on getting another beardie in the next few months. I’ve owned many in the past, and all of them were fed on Dubias. The colony was usually kept in my closet, where the temps in the house never got higher than 75°, so I would have them on an UTH or CHE.

I want to get a colony going before I decide to get the beardie.

I’ve made the lovely decision to move to Phoenix, AZ, where the temps in the summer rise to an average of 107° and the temps in the winter drop to an average of 45°.

The wife is not too fond of having the roaches inside the house, so I’m going to need to keep them in a storage closet outside.

I was planning on getting a the ZooMed ReptiTemp Digital Thermostat and an UTH or CHE for times like now; the winter months. I’m worried during the summer, the temps being around 110° - 115°, the colony will either die, or they will no longer breed.

Is this correct? Will they fail to breed, or even worse, die, if the temps hit that high of a temperature?

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
Most roaches can go into the 120s before dying however we are talking about a real dry heat though, So I would make sure they are always hydrated checking on that stuff daily. As far as optimal breeding I’m not sure

Jlillywhite

Original Poster
Most roaches can go into the 120s before dying however we are talking about a real dry heat though, So I would make sure they are always hydrated checking on that stuff daily. As far as optimal breeding I’m not sure
I’m hoping if I start the colony now, by the time the insane heat comes around, I’ll have a well-established colony I can feed from, until the temps begin to drop again.

Still, anyone with any experience with dubias and high heat breeding, please don’t be afraid to add your .02

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom