PowerSun Mercury Vapor Bulbs Research Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissT

BD.org Addict
Hey guys! Hopefully someone can help - maybe im just being a hypochondriac lol!

Anyway, I installed Abu's powersun on Sunday past. I decided on it as the Mega-ray had taken about 6 weeks when I ordered it for Kazi!!! Anyway, opposite problem to Kazi - Im having trouble keeping the cool side cool.... her salad was ROASTING on Sunday afternoon. Think I have the temps ok now... hopefully they will stay that way...

But the main problem... since installing it, Abu has seemed almost sleepier. I say almost because, although she is a little more active than usual, when she does sit still, she immediately closes her eyes and keeps them like that, with her head held up. She also seems to be gaping a lot when her eyes are closed. She seems to be 'hiding' from the light as well. I dont know if shes just being a little strange as she adjusts or if, indeed, the powersun is causing this???

Any help/advice would be much appreciated guys!

Thanks

T

whopper

the mega ray is well worth the wait. anything is worth having a happy healthy beardie. im not an expert but i'd say its the light that is causing him to do those things you mentioned. maybe try elevating the light a couple inches higher, how far away is it from him and what is his tank size? what is the temp in the basking area and cool side? my litle guy was raising his head and gasping yesterday just like u described but it was because his tank was getting really hot, it was the first warm day of summer and i had to move his tank away from the window.

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Well its better if it is the light as something serious but I had heard the powersun wasn't too bad in terms of ratings. Cant raise the light any higher as her viv is a 4x2x2 wooden enclosure. Her 'basking spot' is 14 inches from the light and is 106... but she spends most of her time basking on the floor just next to that which is approx 2 inches lower and about 98 F. Cool side is around 82 and im planning to add some extra ventilation this weekend as we are having quite a cold, wintery week here.

O well... shall have to get out to the garage tomoro morning and get the arcadia back for a few weeks!

Thanks

T

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, normally the Powersun is a good light. I have recently read that there have been a few of them that have come out with "too much" UVB emissions from Frances on the UK report guide. Another dragon had the same type of symptoms as well. Here is the link so you can read it:

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/mercvapourfloods.htm#zoomedpowersun

Maybe you should contact Zoomed & see if you can get a refund perhaps?

Tracie

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Thanks for that link Tracie!!! I feel bad that I have put her at risk. We switched off the powersun today and replaced it with a normal spotlamp. I have left the uv switched off for the time being - I thought it best as it would allow her to 'recover'. Is this a good idea?

Im going to contact zoomed today and hopefully get something back for it - it wasnt any cheaper than the mega-ray, just much more readily available - I wont be cutting corners like that again :oops:

Thanks again!

T

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
This is making me wonder now... Fargo has the powersun and he's been doing the same things.

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
sunkist":86fb2 said:
Fargo has the powersun and he's been doing the same things.

Has he had it for long? If your in any doubt, switch it off for a couple of days to see if he improves. If he does, then you will know that the light was the problem :D

I have had Abu just under a basking light today and she is still spending the majority of her time with her eyes closed :( I really feel so bad for her.

pscaulkins

Extreme Poster
I bought a new Powersun and put it on Semi's tank. A few days later, he was keeping one eye closed. I would take him out and he still had one or both eyes closed. He did this for about 2 weeks. I thought he was stressed by something but when I replaced the Powersun with a Mega Ray SB light, he started opening his eyes again. Now he never closes his eyes unless bedtime. I know I had a horrible UVB light and will never get another Powersun.

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
MissT":b0cf4 said:
sunkist":b0cf4 said:
Fargo has the powersun and he's been doing the same things.

Has he had it for long? If your in any doubt, switch it off for a couple of days to see if he improves. If he does, then you will know that the light was the problem :D

I have had Abu just under a basking light today and she is still spending the majority of her time with her eyes closed :( I really feel so bad for her.

I've had it since January I think. I feel sooo bad now, figured he was just in a slump. I switched it off yesterday and moved a regular household bulb over to his basking area. I knew something wasn't right because his legs quit being sooo yellow.

Chryss

Hatchling Member
Well I am having the same problem, and I am using a T-Rex UV/Heat which was suggested. I have it 12" away in a 30 Gallon tank. Alvin seems fine and healthy, but like you said, when he is basking, he closes eyes and he gapes. The basking temp is 105 (he is only 2.5 months old). I just thought that he was just chilling out - but that isn't so? Is something wrong?

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Chryss":b9dbd said:
Alvin seems fine and healthy, but like you said, when he is basking, he closes eyes and he gapes.

Abu closes her eyes all the time - not only when she is basking. In fact, she has had no uv since Tuesday night and she is worse today (Thurs) than she was then. Her eyes seem stuck together - her right eye will open then 'flick' for a few seconds before closing again. Her left eye is just permanently closed. She cant see us coming in, she doesnt even open her eyes when we touch her. I could have cried when I looked at her this afternoon and I know everyone is blaming me because I was the one who purchased the light.

Poor Abu :(

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
MissT":b9bb5 said:
Chryss":b9bb5 said:
Alvin seems fine and healthy, but like you said, when he is basking, he closes eyes and he gapes.

Abu closes her eyes all the time - not only when she is basking. In fact, she has had no uv since Tuesday night and she is worse today (Thurs) than she was then. Her eyes seem stuck together - her right eye will open then 'flick' for a few seconds before closing again. Her left eye is just permanently closed. She cant see us coming in, she doesnt even open her eyes when we touch her. I could have cried when I looked at her this afternoon and I know everyone is blaming me because I was the one who purchased the light.

Poor Abu :(

It's not your fault - it's the stupid company's fault. Just give her stome time. Maybe give her a nice warm bath and lightly rub over her eyes??

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
She had a lovely 20minute soak this afternoon.... she kept her eyes closed the entire time. The poor girl cant even see to go to her basking log or get her salad. I tried handfeeding and she didnt even respond to the fact that I was there!

Anyone know - should I try some saline solution to try to clear her eyes?

Loganator

Juvie Member
I purchased the Powersun UV MVB to replace the horrid compact fluorescent the pet store had sold me. I went with the Powersun because it has a better warranty than some of the other MVB's. After putting it in, our guy was doing the same thing. Closing his eye(s) for long periods. I didn't think too much about it, assuming he was just "chilling out" or maybe "getting used" to the new UV type. It got no better over the next week and we even took him to the herp vet, who said he was healthy and could find nothing wrong. He said to raise the new UV bulb and to watch and see. (It was at 12", now up to 14" away) Izzy got better, not closing eyes as much, but after 8 weeks now, he still closes his eyes or "hides and sleeps" much more than he did before.

So now, after reading this and other posts about the Powersun, I have decided to try another MVB. I had wanted to go with the Megaray, but it is on back-order. The T-Rex ActiveUV is available now. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions in regards to Megaray vs. T-Rex?

Thanks, Debbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom