Power outages destroys heat bulbs

GizmosGrammie

Hatchling Member
I’m hoping someone can help me. Whenever we lose our power my heat bulbs blow, WHY? I have everything plugged into a power strip but it’s an old power strip, could that be the problem? Maybe newer power strips can handle power outages better w/o taking the bulb out with it. I can’t keep replacing heat bulbs every time the power goes out. Note: My ReptiSun UVB bulb plugged into the same power strip survives power outages. I’ve had Gizmo since 2015, so please don’t drill me with tank setup questions. Picture of heat bulbs I generally lose.

Attachments

• IMG_0133.jpeg
    IMG_0133.jpeg
    192 KB · Views: 72

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I’m hoping someone can help me. Whenever we lose our power my heat bulbs blow, WHY? I have everything plugged into a power strip but it’s an old power strip, could that be the problem? Maybe newer power strips can handle power outages better w/o taking the bulb out with it. I can’t keep replacing heat bulbs every time the power goes out. Note: My ReptiSun UVB bulb plugged into the same power strip survives power outages. I’ve had Gizmo since 2015, so please don’t drill me with tank setup questions. Picture of heat bulbs I generally lose.
First replace the power strip -- new ones have power surges on them -- next the Repti basking lamps are not very good --- replace your bulb w/ either a Flukers basking bulb or Exo Terra Intense or a Arcadia Halogen

Groggyfroggie

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Draco
Yeah I'd replace the power strips first. Been using Exoterra intense heat bulbs and through a couple of power outages, none of them blew thankfully

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Not all power strips have surge protection. You want to find a surge protector power strip. That is most likely what is causing your bulb to blow during the power outages, a surge.

Look into your fixture too. If your fixture is old or is under-rated for the bulb wattage, you'll have issues too.

-Brandon

Axil

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
Even if your power strip does have surge protection, the protection will degrade every time the power surges. Surge protectors are rated by how many joules of energy they can absorb. If power interruptions are frequent you definitely want a model with an indicator light to let you know it's still providing protection.

This power strip for example protects against 800J of energy and has an indicator light.

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
I think your light bulbs blows at the moment the electricity is turned on (turned off), because it is at these moments that the probability of a high-amplitude voltage pulse is high. The problem may be in your home electrical network or an electrical connection outside your home.
I would advise you to contact your electrician for advice, you need to tell him about light bulbs.
if this is not possible, then I would recommend that you purchase an uninterruptible power supply unit (for a computer, APC for example).
You save your lamps and your dragon's light will not turn off for 1-2 hours. Perhaps this time is enough to wait out the power outage period.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom