Potential Fungal Infection?

CryTime

Beardie name(s)
Oatmeal
I am needing some expert advice. So what I think is relevant is that my dragon had some nose rub a few months ago. I corrected the underlying issues (temps being too high, got rid of the plexiglass he was surfing on) and the nose rub healed on its own. He went through a "shedding storm" in that area where it seemed like he was always shedding that spot for maybe two months. It did raise red flags, but I assumed it had to do with his body healing from the nose rub and didn't realize something more sinister was likely going on. Now, I've noticed a black spot on his chin. The black powder wipes off with some difficulty but it looks like the scales are being consumed from the inside-out and it is spreading. It is in the exact location of his nose rub and he's not showing any other lesions on other parts of his body, which is why I think it's related. I've put him in quarantine and made an appointment with his vet (they cant fit me in for two weeks).

What I want to know is if you think it's likely yellow fungus? I've also heard something about black fungus but try as I might, I can't find much solid information on it apart from human infections. It seems to be eating away at the keratin which makes me think YF, but he doesn't have any of the typical yellow lesions. I'm going to have a skin scrape and probably bloodwork done as well, but I want to know what his prognosis likely is ASAP. He is still bright-eyed, alert, and eating well. A topical antiseptic also seems to be keeping the external infection at bay, as well

Attachments

• 20230521_090420.jpg
    20230521_090420.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 78

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I am needing some expert advice. So what I think is relevant is that my dragon had some nose rub a few months ago. I corrected the underlying issues (temps being too high, got rid of the plexiglass he was surfing on) and the nose rub healed on its own. He went through a "shedding storm" in that area where it seemed like he was always shedding that spot for maybe two months. It did raise red flags, but I assumed it had to do with his body healing from the nose rub and didn't realize something more sinister was likely going on. Now, I've noticed a black spot on his chin. The black powder wipes off with some difficulty but it looks like the scales are being consumed from the inside-out and it is spreading. It is in the exact location of his nose rub and he's not showing any other lesions on other parts of his body, which is why I think it's related. I've put him in quarantine and made an appointment with his vet (they cant fit me in for two weeks).

What I want to know is if you think it's likely yellow fungus? I've also heard something about black fungus but try as I might, I can't find much solid information on it apart from human infections. It seems to be eating away at the keratin which makes me think YF, but he doesn't have any of the typical yellow lesions. I'm going to have a skin scrape and probably bloodwork done as well, but I want to know what his prognosis likely is ASAP. He is still bright-eyed, alert, and eating well. A topical antiseptic also seems to be keeping the external infection at bay, as well
Have you tried some raw unfiltered honey? If its an infection the honey should kill it I am going to flag your post to two people that can help -- if you put honey on it make sure there are NO crickets in the tank -
@AHBD
@Drache613

CryTime

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Oatmeal
Have you tried some raw unfiltered honey? If its an infection the honey should kill it I am going to flag your post to two people that can help -- if you put honey on it make sure there are NO crickets in the tank -
@AHBD
@Drache613
I have not! He has always refused to eat crickets anyways, so that isnt an issue. I've been using my spray-on antiseptic but ordered Hibiclens on Amazon as well. Regardless, he is 100% going to the vet, but if I can keep the infection at bay until his appointment that would be very ideal

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have not! He has always refused to eat crickets anyways, so that isnt an issue. I've been using my spray-on antiseptic but ordered Hibiclens on Amazon as well. Regardless, he is 100% going to the vet, but if I can keep the infection at bay until his appointment that would be very ideal
Use the honey - it will kill infection and promote healing

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It doesn't look fungal, just looks like he's rubbed it against a hard flat surface. Don't scrape it or rub it if you are trying to help just put some raw honey or Hibiclens on it, it should be fine.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I concur, it looks primarily like a scrape but definitely not fungal. A lot of them tend to rub their
snouts & damage that area. As suggested using the raw unpasteurized honey should greatly
help out.
Does it seem to hurt him right now?

Tracie

CryTime

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Oatmeal
This does make me feel better. I don't think it's causing too much pain. Behaviorally, he is still very active. He doesn't react much to me gently touching it, either. I am going to run out and get some raw honey today.

I may just be a hypochondriac- I took him to the vet a month ago for some minor plaque build-up. It just makes me nervous that this abrasion resurfaced after he shed repeatedly in that spot over the course of a few months. I have other reptiles that would have been exposed as well if it is something contagious, so being confident that this is just a scrape is worth another vet visit to me.

CryTime

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Oatmeal
How do you guys think it looks today? Better? Worse? He is stone cold asleep in this pic (otherwise he licks off whatever I apply), and I also just applied Hibiclens which is why it's a little wet.

Attachments

• 20230524_230334.jpg
    20230524_230334.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 57

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It looks like it is doing better. He is definitely sleeping away! I can't blame you for waiting
until he is sleeping to apply anything on him.
Let us know how things are going.

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom