Posting on others topics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,i was told by one person i should rather create another topic then to post on someone elses topic and get the information all messed up,is this a hard and fast rule?We're all hopefully literate and understand how to apply ourselves in reading multiple posts on one topic?
Why have a million different topics discussing the same topics?Please advise me on this cause in all honesty i was a bit upset by it but i didn't retaliate,and omg could i have.Thanx. :banghead: :angry5:

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
It's not a rule, but it is a general etiquette on forums.

While we may be all literate, it is human tendency to better process information in chunks of distinct thought. This is evident in many effective/efficient systems of social organization. I think the idea of and reasons for starting a new post does fit with this thinking. While it may be on the same idea as what someone else was discussing, it may often be more useful to break out a separate topic. That way the flow of thought that exists in one topic doesn't become split if there's a separate (although related) thread to discuss.

Now, if what you have to add is more in line with the specific discussion, I think it's more welcome on the same thread. But if it's talking about your own topic (even if related), but not actually about the original poster's topic/thread, then it will usually be seen as rude. Forums often call it "thread/topic hijacking".

To specifically address your question as to why have a million posts on one topic... a few reasons. 1) Each topic is really intended to be about discussing the original poster's original post (or tangents they flow with). So, in a way, original posters (commonly called OPs), have priority for their own topic. 2) In real life, many people have conversations on the same topic. Separate conversations allow for more variety in what actually gets discussed, and what tangents they may explore through discussion. A mono discussion would offer less variety. But now I'm just getting philosophical. :)

So in short, not a hard fast rule, but it is generally good forum etiquette. Sometimes it can be a fine line. But I think the way to gauge it is, if you're talking about yourself or your own issue (and not to provide an example FOR the OP), there's a chance it may be better as a separate topic.

Cheers,
-Alex

Georgie2015

Original Poster
Hi Alex.

Well then I'm guilty of hijacking,so sorry about that really i didn't know.My first time being part of a forum,so now that i know,i will be more careful.

Thanx so much.

Georgie2015.

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
It's okay. It happens. :) Glad I could help clarify.

And welcome to the BeardedDragon.org forums! :)

Cheers,
-Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom