Possibly Brumation?

BBQbeard

Hey. I'm a first time owner so this is new to me.. my bearded dragon is about 7 months now. He is eating much less as of a few days ago, next to nothing to really.. just a little greens. He lays in the same spot for hours and hours ... not basking and when he does move he just sits under the uv light mainly and gets all cold.. I'm taking him in to get looked at but any advice would be great

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hey. I'm a first time owner so this is new to me.. my bearded dragon is about 7 months now. He is eating much less as of a few days ago, next to nothing to really.. just a little greens. He lays in the same spot for hours and hours ... not basking and when he does move he just sits under the uv light mainly and gets all cold.. I'm taking him in to get looked at but any advice would be great
7 months old he should not be brumating and he should be very active ---- and eating like a horse! Please go over your UVB coil or long tube fixture where its at top of screen or inside the tank and your surface basking temps - what are they and how are you taking them--- this is all imperative to the dragons health

BBQbeard

Original Poster
I have a uvb tube and it's straped to the inside of his enclosure. His basking spot is at 105 degrees with a slightly elevated spot reading at 110 degrees. The cool.side of his take is at 77 degrees. I have two digital thermometers in his cage and I read his basking spot with a heat gun from a zoo med. It's odd he's only under the uvb light today.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I have a uvb tube and it's straped to the inside of his enclosure. His basking spot is at 105 degrees with a slightly elevated spot reading at 110 degrees. The cool.side of his take is at 77 degrees. I have two digital thermometers in his cage and I read his basking spot with a heat gun from a zoo med. It's odd he's only under the uvb light today.
What is the brand and bulb of the uvb? And is it a T 5 or T 8? Please get a reading w/ the digital probe thermometer- they are more accurate than the IR gun - once we get these things ruled out we need figure what else could be going on- your basking light is it a clear solid bright white bulb?

BBQbeard

Original Poster
My basking bulb is a clear one yea.. 100watt. My ubv is a T8 .. the two digital thermometers I have in the tank are probe. I only use the ir gun for the basking spot.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
My basking bulb is a clear one yea.. 100watt. My ubv is a T8 .. the two digital thermometers I have in the tank are probe. I only use the ir gun for the basking spot.
When was the last time the UVB bulb was changed out--- you need a distance of 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor piece --- no clear cover over the bulb if there is one --

BBQbeard

Original Poster
The bulb is about 5 months old now.. it's not right over the basking spot because it would be blocking the basking bulb. He has another spot that is 6 inches away from the ubv bulb Thanks for your help by the way.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The bulb is about 5 months old now.. it's not right over the basking spot because it would be blocking the basking bulb. He has another spot that is 6 inches away from the ubv bulb Thanks for your help by the way.
Ok change out the bulb I recommend they be changed out every 5 months or so- so hes sitting under the UVB today - my guess its gotten weak - change it out and watch his behavior -- they wont eat w/ out proper lighting etc --

BBQbeard

Original Poster
I have replaced the bulb and he seems to be better now.. got his appetite back and seems more normal.. thank you for all your help. Much appreciated

BBQbeard

Original Poster
Hey again. So my beardie perked up a bit and was eating normal, everything seemed normal once I got the new light... now after like a week and a bit he's not eating the crickets anymore... just greens and seems to not be basking as much.. not sure if it's normal or not... I may be over thinking it a bit but something seems slightly off

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hey again. So my beardie perked up a bit and was eating normal, everything seemed normal once I got the new light... now after like a week and a bit he's not eating the crickets anymore... just greens and seems to not be basking as much.. not sure if it's normal or not... I may be over thinking it a bit but something seems slightly off
He may be tired of crickets get him a different staple -- dubia roaches silk worms or some BSFL --- please get your surface basking temp down to 95-100 -- try that and see how that goes - older dragons do not like real high temps --they usually change around 6 months old

BBQbeard

Original Poster
I'll try the new food out.. his basking stop is at 98 this morning and he's just on the other side of the tank just cold.. not sure at all what to do... thinking at think point a vet visit might be worth it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I'll try the new food out.. his basking stop is at 98 this morning and he's just on the other side of the tank just cold.. not sure at all what to do... thinking at think point a vet visit might be worth it.
If you do take him in DO NOT let them do a enema on him --- have you had a fecal done to test for parasites? It is best to take the fecal w/ you 24 hr sample

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lizziefan
Top Bottom