Possible URI (upper respiratory infection) ?

Glamamama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hello,

Yes, good to see you on here, but sorry your boy is having some trouble. He is likely just fighting
off a low grade infection so hopefully you can head off anything serious since you are already trying
to start treatment.
If he wasn't basking as much as he should have been, then that might have prompted his immune
system stress perhaps. For now, just keep him a little warmer overnight right now, until he gets to
feeling better. The ceramic heat emitter would be a good idea for him.
Bee pollen can help to boost his immune system. Let us know how the vet visit goes.

Tracie
Hi,
I was really happy with this herp vet. She literally sees lizards every week and has all her certs for herp care They did very good history and evaluation. She examined him from head to toe. Diet, tank, weights (I keep chart) They got the CXR from the other herp vet and she took blood for panel. Sending to her herp lab in OH back early next week. He did some gaping there so she could see it. She def doesn’t want to start anything until she sees labs. Agreed if it is anything it is very early and nothing super alarming with breathing no struggling. She said I have been doing a good job with care and housing. Put out possibility it is hormonal with spring but I told her he has never exhibited this before. Will know more once lab results are in.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is terrific, it's always nice when they spend time learning extra for reptile care, etc. There
aren't many vets who get extra education & certifications.
It definitely could be hormonal behavior, I agree. Hopefully he will kick whatever is getting to him,
& his immune system starts working well. Maybe he wont need any medications by the time the
blood test comes back!
Is he still pretty active also? Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

Glamamama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hello,

That is terrific, it's always nice when they spend time learning extra for reptile care, etc. There
aren't many vets who get extra education & certifications.
It definitely could be hormonal behavior, I agree. Hopefully he will kick whatever is getting to him,
& his immune system starts working well. Maybe he wont need any medications by the time the
blood test comes back!
Is he still pretty active also? Keep us posted on him.

Tracie
Hi Tracie ,

Definitely not worse, just not as active as usual. Rex is still fairly active, eating, pooping etc. If you didn’t know him you wouldn’t think twice. Some mouth gaping but I think less than a few weeks ago. I am not hearing the pffft popping noise or rarely now.

I sat with him on my lap outside in the sun yesterday maybe 20 minutes he happily basked and kept shifting to position himself and did a bit of head bob when he saw a bird and his reflection in the glass. He definitely doesn’t seem to be eating as eagerly as he usually does in the spring in the summer. Usually he attacks his salads the minute I bring them down but he’s eating and pooping and basking more now that I put his stupid old rattan box back. Poop looks ok. I’m going to try to pop by a garden center for a piece of slate/bricks in the next week or so (in between picking up/dropping off my mom from another state and attending my teens HS graduation and arranging a party and dinner) but I’m reluctant to change anything for a bit. Also, in late August I have an experienced pet sitter coming daily for feeding/poop cleaning for 4 days when we move our teen into college 😭😀down south plane ride away. Just want him to be under least stress for that coming up too. I have my cameras so I can keep an eye on him too. I will keep you updated when vet gets back to me.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He looks quite nice & orange.....very sweet face. So he had a great time sitting in the sunshine
& even head bobbed? Is he eating any of his greens/salad at all, or just picking at it?
It does sound like he is improving, so that is always positive! He looks alert there also. Keep at
it, hopefully he will continue to get better & start to thrive.
That is always cool to have a camera to keep an eye on her. Keep us posted on him!

Tracie

Glamamama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hello,

He looks quite nice & orange.....very sweet face. So he had a great time sitting in the sunshine
& even head bobbed? Is he eating any of his greens/salad at all, or just picking at it?
It does sound like he is improving, so that is always positive! He looks alert there also. Keep at
it, hopefully he will continue to get better & start to thrive.
That is always cool to have a camera to keep an eye on her. Keep us posted on him!

Tracie
I bumped up one of my heat lights yesterday and he seemed happier. He does look healthy I agree it’s just the weird periodic gaping. He attacked his salad and ate most of it. He was picking at it the past few weeks before where in summmer he usually is ravenous. I ordered 3 more 75W going to see how the 150 and 75w goes. Temps staying 103ish in basking and he basked most of the day so I got to assume he likes it. If he was too hot he would be in one of his hides.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is he doing today?
Hopefully increasing the temperatures has helped him out some. It sounds like his appetite
has improved, since he is eating his greens right now. I am glad to hear he seems to be enjoying
the higher basking temperatures.
Keep us posted on him!

Tracie

Glamamama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hello,

How is he doing today?
Hopefully increasing the temperatures has helped him out some. It sounds like his appetite
has improved, since he is eating his greens right now. I am glad to hear he seems to be enjoying
the higher basking temperatures.
Keep us posted on him!

Tracie
Vet called yesterday all his labs are in the normal range so it must be a hormonal behavior. When I was there last week she suggested I switch Repashy Calcium + to the Calcium+ LoD which I just received yesterday Amazon and gave me an updated schedule for a pinch of Calcium no D 2x a week and the calcium LoD I think 2x a month (I have to double check) that was the other thing she had said that it could be hormonal so I guess it is. That’s good news.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, it is very possible this could be hormonal, this type of behavior is somewhat typical for
males.
That's great you are using calcium without D3 now, so he wont get too much supplementation.
Is he basking normally?
Thanks for the updates, keep us posted on him.

Tracie

Glamamama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hello,

I agree, it is very possible this could be hormonal, this type of behavior is somewhat typical for
males.
That's great you are using calcium without D3 now, so he wont get too much supplementation.
Is he basking normally?
Thanks for the updates, keep us posted on him.

Tracie
It’s just weird that he never did it before and he’s five years old. Obviously he usually when he’s at the right temperature but just not like regularly1089225Obviously he usually when he’s at the basking right temperature but just not like regularly

i’m just glad he’s healthy and thriving

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great news to hear he seems to be doing better right now. If he is having some minor
issues, hopefully they will self correct. Just keep his basking temperatures optimal & you can
continue to keep him a little warmer overnight, to boost his system.

Tracie

Glamamama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hello,

That is great news to hear he seems to be doing better right now. If he is having some minor
issues, hopefully they will self correct. Just keep his basking temperatures optimal & you can
continue to keep him a little warmer overnight, to boost his system.

Tracie
He really seems good now I don’t know he’s eating very eagerly & all his labs were completely normal. I just feel better because we have to be away for a few days in August to get my daughter settled in college down in Louisiana and I have a professional pet sitter coming in to feed him and clean poop daily but at least that takes a worry off my plate. I also feel good because we have a whole house generator which we got last year so no worries about lights or heat for him or our giant fish tank for that matter.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom