Possible URI (upper respiratory infection) ?

Glamamama

Hatchling Member
Mr. Rex was just at the herp vet a few weeks ago and got a clean bill of health. He was 5 in April. Vet even did CXR which looked fine. He had been going through an extended facial shed and head shed and his nose and I thought that was the reason he had been doing more gaping than usual. I thought it had resolved but I’m still seeing periodic gaping and hearing a popping or pffft noise when he opens his mouth. I’m seeing more saliva by the edges of his mouth. This is new. It looks slightly stringy. Normally open mouth in the past would only be when he’s basking. Sometimes when I pick him up he will do it or when out if the tank. Behavior normal otherwise and appetite fine. He has a 4 x 2 x 2 tank, digital LCD thermometers, two temp guns, Reptisun strip changed out every 6 months, 80% good greens/veggies daily 20% bugs (2 x a week) weight is stable 700g. Poop cleaned daily and tank is super clean. I only bathe him when he needs it. I have a dehumidifier in his room which is emptied daily and the humidity is currently 25%. Basking area is 105 ish. No black beard. Ugh. He is otherwise active and normal basking and running around. Do I drag him back to herp vet? I hate to give meds and put him thru that but this not seeming to improve.

Attachments

• B89D7963-BE1F-4265-9462-7DB2F8FC886E.jpeg
    B89D7963-BE1F-4265-9462-7DB2F8FC886E.jpeg
    639.8 KB · Views: 116
  • B537584A-A3AB-4ACE-8C95-BB8483FE9075.jpeg
    B537584A-A3AB-4ACE-8C95-BB8483FE9075.jpeg
    795.3 KB · Views: 72

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Mr. Rex was just at the herp vet a few weeks ago and got a clean bill of health. He was 5 in April. Vet even did CXR which looked fine. He had been going through an extended facial shed and head shed and his nose and I thought that was the reason he had been doing more gaping than usual. I thought it had resolved but I’m still seeing periodic gaping and hearing a popping or pffft noise when he opens his mouth. I’m seeing more saliva by the edges of his mouth. This is new. It looks slightly stringy. Normally open mouth in the past would only be when he’s basking. Sometimes when I pick him up he will do it or when out if the tank. Behavior normal otherwise and appetite fine. He has a 4 x 2 x 2 tank, digital LCD thermometers, two temp guns, Reptisun strip changed out every 6 months, 80% good greens/veggies daily 20% bugs (2 x a week) weight is stable 700g. Poop cleaned daily and tank is super clean. I only bathe him when he needs it. I have a dehumidifier in his room which is emptied daily and the humidity is currently 25%. Basking area is 105 ish. No black beard. Ugh. He is otherwise active and normal basking and running around. Do I drag him back to herp vet? I hate to give meds and put him thru that but this not seeming to improve.
He looks good --- but the puffing and the saliva etc does not sound good -- your set up sounds good too -- where is your UVB in the tank ? What are your using for a UVB a T 5 or a T 8? And brand please-- Basking temps what are they and does the LCD thermometers have a probe on them?

Glamamama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Reptisun T5 on top of course. Already put that same for basking 105 ish he has hides
No probe but use temperature guns periodically. I have appointment with different herp vet Friday I just dont like this I’d rather be safe than sorry

Attachments

• 02FF9303-ED05-4C66-B21E-612EDE114ED1.jpg
    02FF9303-ED05-4C66-B21E-612EDE114ED1.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 68

Glamamama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He looks good --- but the puffing and the saliva etc does not sound good -- your set up sounds good too -- where is your UVB in the tank ? What are your using for a UVB a T 5 or a T 8? And brand please-- Basking temps what are they and does the LCD thermometers have a probe on them?
8478A232-E1AF-4CF7-B71B-407822911C68.jpeg

Here he is just now from my camera. Not basking as much with the uvb is along the back 3/4 of the tank he used to bask more added the new basking platform a month ago hard to tell if he doesn’t like it or what

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
View attachment 71096
Here he is just now from my camera. Not basking as much with the uvb is along the back 3/4 of the tank he used to bask more added the new basking platform a month ago hard to tell if he doesn’t like it or what
Your screen on the tank is a fine mesh or a wide hole type --- if its a fine mesh it needs to go inside the tank - the screen is blocking 30% of the rays and it should be a distance of 12-15 inches directly above a piece of decor -- I would also get 2 digital probe thermometers IR guns cannot read off of certain materials and one of them would be a hammock -- I would also take out some of the decor in the tank -- he has no room from the pic to move on the floor - dragons like floor space -- if hes not basking as much there is a issue -- he should bask at least 4 hrs per day

Glamamama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Your screen on the tank is a fine mesh or a wide hole type --- if its a fine mesh it needs to go inside the tank - the screen is blocking 30% of the rays and it should be a distance of 12-15 inches directly above a piece of decor -- I would also get 2 digital probe thermometers IR guns cannot read off of certain materials and one of them would be a hammock -- I would also take out some of the decor in the tank -- he has no room from the pic to move on the floor - dragons like floor space -- if hes not basking as much there is a issue -- he should bask at least 4 hrs per day
I forgot I actually have a digital probe it is on the front but battery croaked a while ago need to see how to replace it I can buy another. Brand you like? I had figured between the two LCDs and the temperature guns I was good. My understanding has always been that T5 needs to go on the top. His highest basking platform is like 15 inches from the top. I will remove some of the decor that is a good idea. I always go back-and-forth with making sure he has enough to keep them busy but maybe there’s too much in there.

Thank you for taking the time to offer you thoughts and experience. It’s so hard with reptiles because even with a lot of experience which I have it’s always a guessing game but sometimes you just need another eye to consider things. Hoping I can get a little more direction from this herp vet on Friday

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I forgot I actually have a digital probe it is on the front but battery croaked a while ago need to see how to replace it I can buy another. Brand you like? I had figured between the two LCDs and the temperature guns I was good. My understanding has always been that T5 needs to go on the top. His highest basking platform is like 15 inches from the top. I will remove some of the decor that is a good idea. I always go back-and-forth with making sure he has enough to keep them busy but maybe there’s too much in there.
T5's can go on top but the screen must be a wide hole type the fine mesh cuts those UVB rays down making it not getting thru to the dragon -- then if its able to sit on top it must be a distance of 8-10 inches -- w / it in the tank the distance would be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece - you will probably haft to make another trip to the vet w/ what you are describing - they would need to take a X ray of his lungs I am thinking maybe blood work and put him on a antibiotic but you want that UVB and his surface basking temps correct so he can recover from the infection -- the UVB and basking temps play a huge role in his over all health and in this case recovery --

Glamamama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
T5's can go on top but the screen must be a wide hole type the fine mesh cuts those UVB rays down making it not getting thru to the dragon -- then if its able to sit on top it must be a distance of 8-10 inches -- w / it in the tank the distance would be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece - you will probably haft to make another trip to the vet w/ what you are describing - they would need to take a X ray of his lungs I am thinking maybe blood work and put him on a antibiotic but you want that UVB and his surface basking temps correct so he can recover from the infection -- the UVB and basking temps play a huge role in his over all health and in this case recovery --
Yes I know that for sure. I can reshuffle to see if I can get top basking 8-10 inches away. What blood work we need mission critical CBC what else?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes I know that for sure. I can reshuffle to see if I can get top basking 8-10 inches away. What blood work we need mission critical CBC what else?
Just that CBC to find out what the infection is so they can prescribe correct antibiotic -- is your screen a wide hole type of screen ? Or a fine mesh like a screen door? I would think a X ray is going to pick up the fluid in the lungs --

Glamamama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Just that CBC to find out what the infection is so they can prescribe correct antibiotic -- is your screen a wide hole type of screen ? Or a fine mesh like a screen door? I would think a X ray is going to pick up the fluid in the lungs --
That’s the thing… I had made appointments with two different vets because this one I couldn’t get for a while so the one that I saw on May 24 has all his herp certifications she worked at the zoo etc. he did a chest x-ray and everything looks fine the lungs looked clear bones looked great. We really thought the gaping was nose clogged with shed. I didn’t hear popping pfft at that point just gaping. I figured I would keep this one and meet with her too and at least that way I have two vets in a pinch for the future at least for the basics and I’ll pick one that I like better they’re both about equally distant like 30 minutes away. I def see a bit of stringy mucous and I swear his eyes look a bit rheumy.

I want her to do the CXR again maybe it was latent and just not visible yet back in May.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
That’s the thing… I had made appointments with two different vets because this one I couldn’t get for a while so the one that I saw on May 24 has all his herp certifications she worked at the zoo etc. he did a chest x-ray and everything looks fine the lungs looked clear bones looked great. We really thought the gaping was nose clogged with shed. I didn’t hear popping pfft at that point just gaping. I figured I would keep this one and meet with her too and at least that way I have two vets in a pinch for the future at least for the basics and I’ll pick one that I like better they’re both about equally distant like 30 minutes away. I def see a bit of stringy mucous and I swear his eyes look a bit rheumy.

I want her to do the CXR again maybe it was latent and just not visible yet back in May.
Could be -- I would get the CXR again and have them test for infection as well

Glamamama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Could be -- I would get the CXR again and have them test for infection as well
That is my plan for Friday. He’s not black beard at all and if it is URI it would be early but he’s my boy and I want him healthy. He’s just not himself. Thank you I will keep updated. That is him right now he seems ok but I can see he’s not himself.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 64

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Do you have a way of nebulizing him at all, or have you already been doing that? Sorry if I have
missed any information or mention of it.
Be sure to keep him around 75-80F overnight, to help boost his system. He does look great but
his eyes look a little tired. It's a great sign however, that he isn't black bearding right now!

Let us know how the vet visit goes!

Tracie

Glamamama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hello,

Do you have a way of nebulizing him at all, or have you already been doing that? Sorry if I have
missed any information or mention of it.
Be sure to keep him around 75-80F overnight, to help boost his system. He does look great but
his eyes look a little tired. It's a great sign however, that he isn't black bearding right now!

Let us know how the vet visit goes!

Tracie
Hi Tracie, we have emailed before. I am bringing him in today. I don’t have a nebulizer but I have been reading about that. What are the options?? I agree his eyes look tired. He is fighting something off. Do you know what…my daughter had a great idea? I had bought him this new basking area and he has been not liking it for a month and not using basking area as normal. I keep putting him on it to no avail. See previous pics. I just removed the new fancy handmade safe wood basking area and put the old stupid box back that he liked and he is sitting there again. I’m wondering if that was part of this whole issue? Either way I’m seeing the vet today I will have her do a CXR and bloodwork and see what she thinks guessing needs Baytril or other antibiotic. I was debating turning che (lamp to right) on again at night usually only use for winter. Any other supplements you recommend to support? He gets his plain rep cal calcium (no vit D) like 2x a week and Repashy calcium plus like 2x a month and BeneBac periodically.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 74
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 66
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 57

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, good to see you on here, but sorry your boy is having some trouble. He is likely just fighting
off a low grade infection so hopefully you can head off anything serious since you are already trying
to start treatment.
If he wasn't basking as much as he should have been, then that might have prompted his immune
system stress perhaps. For now, just keep him a little warmer overnight right now, until he gets to
feeling better. The ceramic heat emitter would be a good idea for him.
Bee pollen can help to boost his immune system. Let us know how the vet visit goes.

Tracie

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom