Possible stargazing? Advice please!

I posted the other day about my new beardie gagging. I took him to the vet and he thinks he might have parasites. He weighs 8 grams. He hasnt eaten in 2 days so he hasn't pooped yet to be able to do a fecal.
I had some crit care from my last girl so I'm trying to give him a little of that throughout the day.
He hasn't been wanting to bask and is preferring to hide. He was on the cold side with his head looking up and it terrified me. I'm gonna post a picture to see if this looks like stargazing.
Any feedback is helpful. Thanks in advance guys!

Attachments

• 20221111_113819.jpg
    20221111_113819.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 127
  • 20221110_200534.jpg
    20221110_200534.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 20221110_200532.jpg
    20221110_200532.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 71

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I posted the other day about my new beardie gagging. I took him to the vet and he thinks he might have parasites. He weighs 8 grams. He hasnt eaten in 2 days so he hasn't pooped yet to be able to do a fecal.
I had some crit care from my last girl so I'm trying to give him a little of that throughout the day.
He hasn't been wanting to bask and is preferring to hide. He was on the cold side with his head looking up and it terrified me. I'm gonna post a picture to see if this looks like stargazing.
Any feedback is helpful. Thanks in advance guys!
I am not sure - need someone else to take a look --- what are you using for a UVB ? coil or a long tube fixture- what kind of basking lamp? Him not wanting to bask could be the bulb is incorrect or the surface basking temps are too hot? What are the surface basking temps and how are you taking them?
@AHBD

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Stargazing is a neurological issue associated with adv. I think with Stargazing once it starts they are stuck in that position and can't lower their head. It is more likely something environmental such as uvb and temps. Work with Karrieree and she can help you get it on point (if it isn't already).
Babies should be eating a ton of protein everyday, if he/she isn't then growth is going to be slow and could be stunted. Make sure the feeders your offering aren't to large for your beardie as well.

Weenielord

Original Poster
I am not sure - need someone else to take a look --- what are you using for a UVB ? coil or a long tube fixture- what kind of basking lamp? Him not wanting to bask could be the bulb is incorrect or the surface basking temps are too hot? What are the surface basking temps and how are you taking them?
@AHBD
I'll just copy and paste from my other post "He's under a fresh t5 10.0 bulb. His temps range from 92 to 110 on his hot end/basking area, to 75 on the cool side. At night it sits around 70-75 depending on if our heater kicks on. The humidity has been sitting at about 25%-30%"

I'm not using a heat gun because mine broke recently. These are just off a digital gauge. But my temps were optimal the last time I used a temp gun when my recently deceased beardie was in the enclosure. I'll share a picture of the set up as well

Attachments

• 20221111_114551.jpg
    20221111_114551.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 57

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I'll just copy and paste from my other post "He's under a fresh t5 10.0 bulb. His temps range from 92 to 110 on his hot end/basking area, to 75 on the cool side. At night it sits around 70-75 depending on if our heater kicks on. The humidity has been sitting at about 25%-30%"

I'm not using a heat gun because mine broke recently. These are just off a digital gauge. But my temps were optimal the last time I used a temp gun when my recently deceased beardie was in the enclosure. I'll share a picture of the set up as well
Your digital probe thermometer has a probe on it? The T 5 is in a fixture w/ reflector sorry it's hard to tell

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It doesn't really look like stargazing, they usually tilt their head back pretty far and they seem to alternate that pose with laying down. He does look ill, there are a number of things it could belike be beginning of a URI, it might be ADV or something else altogether. He looks slightly bloated which can be from an RI or it could be other things. Your enclosure is really beautiful, still he might be overwhelmed in this giant new place . How long have you had him and is he from a breeder or pet store ? What did he eat the last time he had insects and what size ?

Last edited:

Weenielord

Original Poster
It doesn't really look like stargazing, they usually tilt their head back pretty far and they seem to alternate that pose with laying down. He does look ill, there are a number of things it could belike be beginning of a URI, it might be ADV or something else altogether. He looks slightly bloated which can be from an RI or it could be other things. Your enclosure is really beautiful, still he might be overwhelmed in this giant new place . How long have you had him and is he from a breeder or pet store ? What did he eat the last time he had insects and what size ?
I got him November 2nd, so not long at all. He was really amazing and active that first week but then he just changed. It doesn't feel like a stressed out beardie, he seems ill and that's why I'm so scared lol. I got him from PetSmart(which I said I'd never do but I was grieving my late beardie and it was an impulse thing). The last thing he ate was a couple of very teenie tiny crickets, some teenie Dubia, and some calci grubs. I do have salad offered as well but I don't expect him to touch it at all at his age.

Weenielord

Original Poster
Ok good for uvb- make sure it's 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor and the tp49 has a probe?
No it's just like a little unit that sits there. I don't know how to describe it lol. And I did move the uvb higher recently cause I was scared it was too close and was overwhelming him. I might move it a tad bit higher and see if it helps him want to venture onto his perch again.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No it's just like a little unit that sits there. I don't know how to describe it lol. And I did move the uvb higher recently cause I was scared it was too close and was overwhelming him. I might move it a tad bit higher and see if it helps him want to venture onto his perch again.
Please keep the distance in the 12-15 range make sure he can sit under it --- and you want digital probe thermometers found at Pet Smart or Petco- Zoo Med -- use your calci grubs as salad toppers -- use them to lure him to the bowl -- drop in front of him first feeding -- use as many as you want they are a great staple feeder ---

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
It doesn't look like it man...
He'd almost be tipping over like he's drunk...
I'd look into what AHBD is saying.
An ADV test eventually

Tracie does them cheap....She's gotta be around here
I haven't been on in awhile.

Get the fecal go from there.
& if it's clean I'd get an ADV test just to be safe.

Make sure husbandry is correct & nothing is off.

If it's a RTI wouldn't his voice be clicking?
RTI's are slightly uncommon.
Usually it's environmental. In that case he could have caught a slight cold.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
What happened to your last beardie? Some stuff is highly contagious, and takes strong cleaners to kill off. If your last beardie was sick, your new one might have contracted something. I kind of thought he looked ill in the pics also, it might be worthwhile to see a vet.

Weenielord

Original Poster
What happened to your last beardie? Some stuff is highly contagious, and takes strong cleaners to kill off. If your last beardie was sick, your new one might have contracted something. I kind of thought he looked ill in the pics also, it might be worthwhile to see a vet.
She had a disability that affected her reproductive organs not forming properly and was unable to pass her first clutch of eggs. She wasn't sick that I know of.
I took him to a vet yesterday and he thought it could be parasites but we're just waiting on him to poop.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's possible that he needs another low watt heat bulb on the left side of the tank to increase temps. on that side. He may not be digesting the food since you say he ate at first but has not pooped and isn't eating anymore. And it would be good to test him for ADV, Drache613 [ Tracie ] is one of the mods. here and works with the lab that is studying ADV. The test is very cheap and done by the experts.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom