Possible Respiratory Infection Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyVex

Original Poster
During the night, my beardie Vex (2 yr) was laying in a flat position making occasional hiccup sounds. Earlier in the day he refused food, but this is not uncommon for him to do from time to time. After some research, I am concerned that he has a upper respiratory infection. His hiccuping stops when I hold him vertically with his head above his lungs, and they seem to be triggered when his lungs are above his head. He doesn’t seem too distressed as he is not darkening his scales and is just trying to sleep (since it’s bed time). The vet is booked for over a week so I can’t get him seen till then.

Is this a respiratory infection? What should I do?

Tank setup:
95 gallon tank
Clean reptile carpet
Basking spot between 98-110 F
Cool area at mid 70s F
Small heated ceramic rock (he uses this as a bed)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
During the night, my beardie Vex (2 yr) was laying in a flat position making occasional hiccup sounds. Earlier in the day he refused food, but this is not uncommon for him to do from time to time. After some research, I am concerned that he has a upper respiratory infection. His hiccuping stops when I hold him vertically with his head above his lungs, and they seem to be triggered when his lungs are above his head. He doesn’t seem too distressed as he is not darkening his scales and is just trying to sleep (since it’s bed time). The vet is booked for over a week so I can’t get him seen till then.

Tank setup:
95 gallon tank
Clean reptile carpet
Cool area at mid 70s F
Please do not run the ceramic heated rock -- too much risk for burns - we have seen alot of them - if you need heat please get a heat emitter temps at night should be 65-75 - they produce no light and are safer - dragons heat w/ their backs not stomachs - basking temps should be surface basking temps taken w/a digital probe thermometer - 95-100- please post a video of the dragon hicupping -- cool side should be 80's in the daytime the 70's is more for night time you did not mention a UVB- are you using a MVB? If so brand and bulb and where in the tank is it? Is there any mucous coming out of his nose or mouth? Do you hear any wheezing or coughing ? Any crackling noises?

BabyVex

Original Poster
Please do not run the ceramic heated rock -- too much risk for burns - we have seen alot of them - if you need heat please get a heat emitter temps at night should be 65-75 - they produce no light and are safer - dragons heat w/ their backs not stomachs - basking temps should be surface basking temps taken w/a digital probe thermometer - 95-100- please post a video of the dragon hicupping -- cool side should be 80's in the daytime the 70's is more for night time you did not mention a UVB- are you using a MVB? If so brand and bulb and where in the tank is it? Is there any mucous coming out of his nose or mouth? Do you hear any wheezing or coughing ? Any crackling noises?
Thank you for your advice! There is no mucous at all. What I am calling hiccups might be coughs instead, I have attached a video. These sounds seem to only come after a period of laying down flat. There are no other sounds. The UVB is in the double dome with the basking bulb. The UVB shines partially on the basking spot and the middle of the tank. The brand is ZooMed.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thank you for your advice! There is no mucous at all. What I am calling hiccups might be coughs instead, I have attached a video. These sounds seem to only come after a period of laying down flat. There are no other sounds. The UVB is in the double dome with the basking bulb. The UVB shines partially on the basking spot and the middle of the tank. The brand is ZooMed.
View attachment 69003
Please get rid of the coil UVB -- they cause alot of heath issues -- please get a long tube fixture
24" Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood for a 40+ gallon tank comes w/ a 5.0 bulb you need this one
22" Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO
or this one Arcadia ProT5 12% UVB Bulb With Hood
Depending in the screen will determine where it goes in the tank -- please get this as soon as you can-
I am flagging you post to some others that can help w/ the possible RI
@AHBD
@Drache613

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It might be an R.I but it could just be something temporary. See how Vex does after a few days or a week. Tracie might have some thoughts as well.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry your dragon is having some trouble. How often does he do this type of breathing?
From what I have seen, this type of breathing is an early precursor to some type of respiratory
issue, maybe not necessarily an infection but something is going on.
Are you using any type of loose substrate in his tank?

Tracie

MerithD

Beardie name(s)
Calypso(rip) Pickles(rip) Ragetti Lenny Vash Fridae Gemma

Tank setup:
95 gallon tank
Clean reptile carpet
Cool area at mid 70s F

Tank setup:
95 gallon tank
Clean reptile carpet
Cool area at mid 70s F
You can try A mister and colloidal silver take a sweater box make sure its not too chilly put it in cage or on heat pad dillute solution of colloidal silver make small hole in tube for mister tube. Treat dragon for 10 min daily. Please look up correct dilution as i dont remember but it was a " (x spoon) measure per cup of water make sure air is passing out of tube. I wish you the best of luck your beardie is lucky to have you and losing one sucks .

MerithD

Beardie name(s)
Calypso(rip) Pickles(rip) Ragetti Lenny Vash Fridae Gemma
You can try A mister and colloidal silver take a sweater box make sure its not too chilly put it in cage or on heat pad dillute solution of colloidal silver make small hole in tube for mister tube. Treat dragon for 10 min daily. Please look up correct dilution as i dont remember but it was a " (x spoon) measure per cup of water make sure air is passing out of tube. I wish you the best of luck your beardie is lucky to have you and losing one sucks .
s.sorry should say make small hole in box top for tube

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom