possible relocation stress?

HyperLollipop

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Herman
hi all,
recently the door of our bearded dragon's enclosure broke, and we were keeping in the heat with a makeshift sheet of plastic taped to the side. Yesterday we got a new one, the same exact cage, and set it up this morning. However now he's displaying stress behaviors, like hiding and puffing out his beard when i try to handle him. Could this be relocation stress, even though everything is virtually the same?

Also to add, he was basking regularly all day and ate like normal. This behavior only started about 45 minutes ago, even though he's been in the new tank all day. He was also displaying this sort of behavior yesterday but he allowed us to handle him. Now if we try to get close he open his mouth and out comes the beard.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
It could be yes. A lot of beardies don't like having their setup messed with, it's their safe space and when we change things up even a little it can stress them.

Bearded joey

Beardie name(s)
Joey
hi all,
recently the door of our bearded dragon's enclosure broke, and we were keeping in the heat with a makeshift sheet of plastic taped to the side. Yesterday we got a new one, the same exact cage, and set it up this morning. However now he's displaying stress behaviors, like hiding and puffing out his beard when i try to handle him. Could this be relocation stress, even though everything is virtually the same?

Also to add, he was basking regularly all day and ate like normal. This behavior only started about 45 minutes ago, even though he's been in the new tank all day. He was also displaying this sort of behavior yesterday but he allowed us to handle him. Now if we try to get close he open his mouth and out comes the beard.
Sounds like he might be getting ready to shed

HyperLollipop

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Herman
It could be yes. A lot of beardies don't like having their setup messed with, it's their safe space and when we change things up even a little it can stress them.
Yeah I think that's what it is. He's been hiding a bit less but it's still an adjustment.
Sounds like he might be getting ready to shed
He just finished a shed.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom