Possible mouth rot or MBD help

Mahi_man

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mahi
So I called the vet Saturday but couldn't schedule the appointment that day cause I had to make sure I could go that day but when I called back they were already booked up... The next available time is on may 2nd which is still a ways away, he hasn't eaten still, I'm going to blend some greens for him tonight and give him that. I tried checking other vets but they are either too far away or do not have availabilities. There is one reptile vet in my town and others are at least an hour and a half away. I'm not sure what to do. I'm in highschool and my ride can't take me that far so should I just try and continue what I'm doing just giving him nutrient/appetite boost?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So I called the vet Saturday but couldn't schedule the appointment that day cause I had to make sure I could go that day but when I called back they were already booked up... The next available time is on may 2nd which is still a ways away, he hasn't eaten still, I'm going to blend some greens for him tonight and give him that. I tried checking other vets but they are either too far away or do not have availabilities. There is one reptile vet in my town and others are at least an hour and a half away. I'm not sure what to do. I'm in highschool and my ride can't take me that far so should I just try and continue what I'm doing just giving him nutrient/appetite boost?
Keep him fed and hydrated- how's his activity level? Get a fecal from him before the vet - take w/ you no enemas please-- they like to have a 24hr sample- refrig if you haft to- use a zip lock bag w/ it in a paper towel- transport him in a small pet carrier you can find them on Amazon

Mahi_man

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mahi
Keep him fed and hydrated- how's his activity level? Get a fecal from him before the vet - take w/ you no enemas please-- they like to have a 24hr sample- refrig if you haft to- use a zip lock bag w/ it in a paper towel- transport him in a small pet carrier you can find them on Amazon
He seems semi active especially after the repta-boost because it's supposed to boost his activity too I guess. I tried blending the greens but he seemed to spit most of it out, I'm not sure how else to get him to eat and this wasn't super blended today so maybe tomorrow I can try that again I don't know what else to do tho.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I haven't seen the twitching happen since the day I mentioned it. I think it was just the honey on his mouth making hime uncomfortable.
Could be did you get your T 5 mounted directly above his basking decor? You dont want it on the back wall its best over him

Mahi_man

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mahi
Could be did you get your T 5 mounted directly above his basking decor? You dont want it on the back wall its best over him
Yes it's on the back wall in the same area, and I kept the newer (2 month old) t8 as well mostly to provide more light to the one are but it helps to.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes it's on the back wall in the same area, and I kept the newer (2 month old) t8 as well mostly to provide more light to the one are but it helps to.
Ok please get it off the back wall and directly over him w/ a distance of 12-15 inches and if you want light in the tank just use a LED house hold bulb it wont give any heat but light

Mahi_man

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mahi
Ok please get it off the back wall and directly over him w/ a distance of 12-15 inches and if you want light in the tank just use a LED house hold bulb it wont give any heat but light
I can only fit it there and it's pointed towards the spot about 13 inches from the basking spot

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I can only fit it there and it's pointed towards the spot about 14 inches from the basking spot
Ok you want the rays directed downward toward him those are the most beneficial to him -- I would open the screen up by making just room for the UVB to fit it going downward or take the screen off and place on the end of the tank going width wise instead of long ways --

colbertf

Beardie name(s)
ROWAN (Gaelic for Little Red Guy)
Hanging the UVB on the side can harm their eyes also. . To hang the UVB fixture I have used plastic tip ties and in other cases used thin stainless steel picture / hanging Wire easily found at a hardware store.
wire2.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hanging the UVB on the side can harm their eyes also. . To hang the UVB fixture I have used plastic tip ties and in other cases used thin stainless steel picture / hanging Wire easily found at a hardware store.
View attachment 69969
Not if your using the Reptisun bulbs or Arcadia bulbs --- those are the safest bulbs

colbertf

Beardie name(s)
ROWAN (Gaelic for Little Red Guy)
Not if your using the Reptisun bulbs or Arcadia bulbs --- those are the safest bulbs
Thanks @KarrieRee I was told hanging any of those bulbs on the side and having the bulb face directly to the dragon from the side would harm the eyes, to always have any bulb hanging right above. Sorry if I caused any confusion, thanks for the clarification.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thanks @KarrieRee I was told hanging any of those bulbs on the side and having the bulb face directly to the dragon from the side would harm the eyes, to always have any bulb hanging right above. Sorry if I caused any confusion, thanks for the clarification.
Hanging on the side can blind them it is always recommended that they go directly above

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom