Possible mouth rot or MBD help

Mahi_man

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mahi
yeah so that lip flaring out is probably a light respiratory infection. If the temps. fluctuate from the weather and it's colder in your house you 100 % have to add more heat. The basking spot should be 100 all the time, ambient temps. should be from 78-90 through the rest of the enclosure.
Is there any home treatment I can do for him
Hello,

How is his lip looking? Have you tried raw honey on the area to help for any raw areas?
As AHBD suggested, temperatures for basking & overall ambient readings in the tank are
very important for keeping their health optimal.
I hope he is feeling better soon!

Tracie
I put a little honey on his mouth but he licked most of it off, ordered a new UVB which will get here Wednesday, and my other light dome broke so a new one will be here tomorrow. He won't eat but he will drink water. He's eaten a few mealworms but that's about it. Gonna try putting a very small amount of honey on his next salad to see if that will help, if not should I try feeding him with a syringe or just let him eat when he wants. It's been a few days since he ate anything except for a few bugs.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Is there any home treatment I can do for him

I put a little honey on his mouth but he licked most of it off, ordered a new UVB which will get here Wednesday, and my other light dome broke so a new one will be here tomorrow. He won't eat but he will drink water. He's eaten a few mealworms but that's about it. Gonna try putting a very small amount of honey on his next salad to see if that will help, if not should I try feeding him with a syringe or just let him eat when he wants. It's been a few days since he ate anything except for a few bugs.
What UVB did you get? Please post on here when you get is so we can help you get it placed- did you get a long tube fixture or a coil? Tube fixtures have certain distance and placement and the screen plays a part on where it goes --

Mahi_man

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mahi
What UVB did you get? Please post on here when you get is so we can help you get it placed- did you get a long tube fixture or a coil? Tube fixtures have certain distance and placement and the screen plays a part on where it goes --
I got the reptisun T5HOi have a spot that it can go that's a tleast 18inches from all his basking and resting areas. I don't have enough room for it to go in the same spot but it will be right next to and slightly overlapping the basking area

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I got the reptisun T5HOi have a spot that it can go that's a tleast 18inches from all his basking and resting areas. I don't have enough room for it to go in the same spot but it will be right next to and slightly overlapping the basking area
ok the distance for your UVB needs to be 12-15 inches directly over a piece of decor for best effects of those rays 18 inches is too far away -- what kind of screen are you using? fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type ?

Mahi_man

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mahi
ok the distance for your UVB needs to be 12-15 inches directly over a piece of decor for best effects of those rays 18 inches is too far away -- what kind of screen are you using? fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type ?
It's a wide hole type, all metal. I cover the top with a sheet to try and hold in heat but it doesn't always help. I can move the uvb closer that's not to much of a problem

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel my female two year old beardie
Is there a place to mount the light on the wall by any chance? It would be recommended if there's wide holes and that'll help a lot.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Is there a place to mount the light on the wall by any chance? It would be recommended if there's wide holes and that'll help a lot.
It's a wide hole type, all metal. I cover the top with a sheet to try and hold in heat but it doesn't always help. I can move the uvb closer that's not to much of a problem
wide hole type it can stay on top w / basking decor directly underneath 8-10 inches -- you dont want it on the back wall -- best effects of the rays directly over

Mahi_man

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mahi
That's his tank setup right now with his old UVB new/bigger one should be here in a few days

Attachments

• 16495283888977587345119763283310.jpg
    16495283888977587345119763283310.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 16495285125494662699805370351583.jpg
    16495285125494662699805370351583.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 59

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
That's his tank setup right now with his old UVB new/bigger one should be here in a few days
Did you get the T 5 if so it can stay on top of the tank --- it needs to be 8-10 inches directly over the basking decor -- watch his behavior -- its really wide holed so you may need to change distance to 12-15 inches --

Mahi_man

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mahi
Did you get the T 5 if so it can stay on top of the tank --- it needs to be 8-10 inches directly over the basking decor -- watch his behavior -- its really wide holed so you may need to change distance to 12-15 inches --
I did get a T5. Also right now he seems to be still very curious about everything but every now and then he just twitches his head. It's just for a second but it's something else I've noticed

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I did get a T5. Also right now he seems to be still very curious about everything but every now and then he just twitches his head. It's just for a second but it's something else I've noticed
I dont like the sound of that please keep a watch on that -- if it continues please post back on here -- and if you need to post a video of him doing that -- are you giving calcium supplements if so how often and are you feeding on the salads or insects-- have you always had a tube or did you have a coil?

Mahi_man

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mahi
I dont like the sound of that please keep a watch on that -- if it continues please post back on here -- and if you need to post a video of him doing that -- are you giving calcium supplements if so how often and are you feeding on the salads or insects
I put calcium and vitamin powder on his salads and occasionally dust his bugs but it's been a few days since he ate his salads, and a while before that he was sleeping most if the day for about a week, he would come out and munch after a couple days and then sleep again but he was okay for a while after that

Mahi_man

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mahi
Should I try giving him something like this or make something else to give him?
Possibly a type of liquid vitamin?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220409-145903.jpg
    Screenshot_20220409-145903.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 40

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Should I try giving him something like this or make something else to give him?
Possibly a type of liquid vitamin?
You can try that -- please start dusting the insects -- you know hes going to eat those -- for a adult dragon he should be fed insects 2-3 times per week -- I would dust the insects w/ calcium D3 now -- how long has it been since the T 8 bulb was changed out?

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abby999
Top Bottom