Possible Impaction?

CassiTheNerd420

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frankie
Hi,
I just received a beardie (Frankie) last week and this is my first pet. I've spent all week researching and spent hundreds on his setup. His last owner wasn't very attentive on temps, uv, or diet (he was only fed crickets and blueberries daily with no vitamins). His temps look good now, his diets looking good now, but I'm having issues. He seems stressed, window surfing a lot, and yesterday he had black beard for a solid hour. He also has only pooped once the entire week I've had him, and its raising concerns, his diet has been fixed for 3 days now and still nothing. I read online that a little olive oil can help so today I gave him a blueberry piece as a treat and put a bit of the oil on it. I'm trying to get him on a new schedule (see attached image) from his last owner so I've only given him one bath so far (I don't believe he's ever had one) but while in the water he just seemed stressed out and tried to climb out of the container. I cant get him into the vet till next week (hopefully, I live in the country so there aren't very many vets that take lizards) for a general checkup and I was wondering if there's anything I can do in the mean time.

Also I have no clue about its actual age, sex, length (he gets super stressed when I scoop him up so I cant really measure him which is weird cause the guy I got him from said he loves being picked up), or health yet till I see the vet.

2C3C8AE2-63E6-4BA0-9164-D3A909BEEDC7.jpeg

1721FC74-2982-48EA-86B7-7B50F66A3BB9.jpeg

CassiTheNerd420

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frankie
Other than eating and basking he's been doing this all day today and yesterday (specifically on the side of the tank facing me if that means anything)

Pancake151

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Cookie, Waffles
He's been doing this all day today and yesterday (specifically on the side of the tank facing me if that means anything)
View attachment 74694
So that’s called glass surfing, and they do it when they are stressed. One thing that works well with (possible) impaction, is to give them a warm bath, in lukewarm water. I’m still not too sure if it is in fact impaction or not, sorry.

CassiTheNerd420

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frankie
So that’s called glass surfing, and they do it when they are stressed. One thing that works well with (possible) impaction, is to give them a warm bath, in lukewarm water. I’m still not too sure if it is in fact impaction or not, sorry.
Idk what could be stressing him its just me in my room and I'm just sitting at my pc, ill try another bath but he doesn't seem to like it, and for the impaction I'm not to sure either he doesn't seem bloated and he's not limping or anything

CassiTheNerd420

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frankie
Ok, I’m going to try my best here. What are his basking temps? Do you think that he may have eaten something?
his temps are 105-110 depending if I have my room fan on or not (my pc gives off a lot of heat so I like it on), and when I got him he was on newspaper substraight and a corner of one of the pages seemed bitten off

CassiTheNerd420

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frankie
his temps are 105-110 depending if I have my room fan on or not (my pc gives off a lot of heat so I like it on), and when I got him he was on newspaper substraight and a corner of one of the pages seemed bitten off
The temps have only been true for the last 4 days out of the week i've had him though, when i got him his temps were in the low 90's

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's very common, relocation stress because everything is new to him. Many beardies do the same, no need for a vet. If he/she is a young adult there's a lot of energy to burn off with nowhere to go. Adult beardies don't need to poo every few days, they can go a couple weeks at times without a poo so don't worry. Other things to help him are baby food squash, sweet potato or un spiced canned pumpkin. Be patient and he'll go soon.

Pancake151

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Cookie, Waffles
Those temps sound pretty okay, but I wouldn’t be the right person for this. How big do you think the corner was?

CassiTheNerd420

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frankie
That's very common, relocation stress because everything is new to him. Many beardies do the same, no need for a vet. If he/she is a young adult there's a lot of energy to burn off with nowhere to go. Adult beardies don't need to poo every few days, they can go a couple weeks at times without a poo so don't worry. Other things to help him are baby food squash, sweet potato or un spiced canned pumpkin. Be patient and he'll go soon.
I'd still like to take him to a vet for a general checkup but this is reassuring thanks :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He looks very healthy, I'd let him settle in for a while before a vet visit. Be sure they don't give him an enema, some vets don't realize that they are almost never necessary and can do a lot of harm and even rupture the intestines + some dragons die soon after .

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom