POSSIBLE HEMIPENAL PROLAPSE PLEASE HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so i noticed 2 days ago that there was something sticking out of my beardies butt area. At first i just thought it was poop because thats what it looked like so i didnt think anything of it and i put him in a warm bath thinking it would soften it up and come off but it never did. So i waited for him to poop to see if it would come out but it never did. So today i gave him another soak in warm water and still nothing. It was brown yesterday but now its sort of a whitish fleshy color. Im hoping to speak to a vet tomorrow but i dont have alot of money to spend on a vet :( im very worried please help. He has been eating normal and acting normal it doesnt seem to be bothering him. Any suggestions? Btw im new to this website and i dont know how to attach a photo.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You can go to here to post a picture:

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/#new

It is crucial to try & keep it moist in the case that it is a prolapse. You can use vaseline or ky jelly to help keep it moist so it doesn't dry out to badly.
Is it sticking out really far or just a little bit?
Could it possibly be a seminal or urate plug? Is it hard or soft?

Tracie

WileyCoyotee

Original Poster
Thank you very much Tracie. I uploaded a photo using the website you put in the reply. Its soft when wet but hard when dry. I will put some vaseline on it to keep it moist. His substrate is sand will that effect him in any way?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....if it's brownish or tan/white in color than it's a seminal plug. If you Google " bearded dragon seminal plug " you'll see if that's it and put your mind at ease. A hemi pene prolapse would be red tissue.

WileyCoyotee

Original Poster
Thank you. I googled the seminal plug and thats what it looks like. I did some research and it said to pull it out? Im afraid i will hurt him this way. Should i pull it out? Or take him to the vet? Or what?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome ! No vet needed, just try to rock it back + forth gently and it will eventually come out. Sometimes they come out along with a poo, but it's not a health problem requiring a vet....he'll be fine. :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome. :) Be sure to give him a daily warm soak, that's when you can gently try to dislodge it.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You are welcome, that is wonderful news it is a seminal plug then! As AHBD said, it will likely just work itself out eventually. I doubt it is bothering him any though. The daily warm bath will help it dislodge gradually. This is actually quite common! Thankfully it isn't an emergency that needs a vet's intervention. :D
Is he eating normally also?
The sand should be fine, is it calcium based sand or washed & sifted playsand?

Tracie

WileyCoyotee

Original Poster
I gave him another soak today and after the soak i looked and it was gone :) im really happy it wasnt a prolapse or anything. What causes the seminal plug to do that? And yes he eats really good hes stubborn about his greens and veggies though. Any tips to get him to eat more greens and stuff? And his sand is washed and sifted play sand. I just switched him too it not long ago. He enjoys it alot better than papertowels lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom