Possible Gravid Beardie

RHaynes

I have a female that laid a clutch of 24 unfertilized eggs last August. This was her first clutch and i had no idea she was even a she. I came home after work and found the eggs. Drakeo has gained a lot of weight in the last month and now is restless and trying to dig in her enclosure. I put a box with play sand in there for her but she just digs it all out and is trying to get out of her enclosure.
When I let her out to roam around she is full of energy. How long are the beardies like this typically before they lay? I am trying to make this experience better for her. I will include pics of her dig box and of her. Any advice is appreciated!
She wasn’t being very cooperative with the pics.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 49

Nikki.D

Hatchling Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Garnie
I have a female that laid a clutch of 24 unfertilized eggs last August. This was her first clutch and i had no idea she was even a she. I came home after work and found the eggs. Drakeo has gained a lot of weight in the last month and now is restless and trying to dig in her enclosure. I put a box with play sand in there for her but she just digs it all out and is trying to get out of her enclosure.
When I let her out to roam around she is full of energy. How long are the beardies like this typically before they lay? I am trying to make this experience better for her. I will include pics of her dig box and of her. Any advice is appreciated!
She wasn’t being very cooperative with the pics.
After she layed eggs did you give her extra calcium?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
For them to feel comfortable with a nesting site, they need to be able to burrow into it. Loose dry sand doesn't give them that, you'll need to moisten the sand (like sand castle consistency) so that she can actually dig and create a cave.

-Brandon

RHaynes

Original Poster
For them to feel comfortable with a nesting site, they need to be able to burrow into it. Loose dry sand doesn't give them that, you'll need to moisten the sand (like sand castle consistency) so that she can actually dig and create a cave.

-Brandon
Thank you! I will replace the sand for her.

RHaynes

Original Poster

-Brandon
I made a tunnel and fixed the sand consistency. She laid her eggs this morning. Thank you so much!!

Attachments

• IMG_1954.jpeg
    IMG_1954.jpeg
    217 KB · Views: 48

Nikki.D

Hatchling Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Garnie
Yes I did after the first clutch last august. I give her calcium on a weekly basis.
Maybe she is getting bored of being in her enclosure, if so maybe you can add another accessory to her enclosure.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom