Possible Gout??

Status
Not open for further replies.

SofiaSal

Hello. My bearded dragon's ankle/leg and upper arm have been swollen for two weeks. I have taken him to the vet and they did a blood test and prescribed him antibiotics. The medicine did not help with the swelling. I did some research and have been giving him water and cherry extract. I read that Allopurinol helps but the vet did not prescribe it. If anyone has any advice or knows where/the dosage of Allopurinol, it would be very helpful. The vet did not seem certain and my beardie has lost appetite. I am giving him oral calcium for 30 days since that is what the vet prescribed. Thank you.
full

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They did a blood test, so what were the results?

If you could post them that would be helpful.

What is his daily diet?

-Brandon

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Definitely if you can get a copy of the blood test, that would be helpful. Please review your
tank setup for us also just so we can be sure your lighting, temperatures, etc are all correct.
How many insects does he eat weekly? Which supplementation are you using?
Which antibiotic did they prescribe for him & did the swelling get worse while he was on
the antibiotics or stay the same?
Good, continue giving the black cherry extract right now, that may help out for him some.
I can PM you more information on Gout treatment, if you would like.

Tracie

SofiaSal

Original Poster
Claudiusx":1a274fb8 said:
They did a blood test, so what were the results?

If you could post them that would be helpful.

What is his daily diet?

-Brandon

Yes, these are his blood results.
full

full

His daily diet consisted of crickets and mealworms since I do not have access to dubia roaches. I give him collard greens and dandelion greens in his salads with other vegetables daily.

SofiaSal

Original Poster
Drache613":2s6do8va said:
Hello,

Definitely if you can get a copy of the blood test, that would be helpful. Please review your
tank setup for us also just so we can be sure your lighting, temperatures, etc are all correct.
How many insects does he eat weekly? Which supplementation are you using?
Which antibiotic did they prescribe for him & did the swelling get worse while he was on
the antibiotics or stay the same?
Good, continue giving the black cherry extract right now, that may help out for him some.
I can PM you more information on Gout treatment, if you would like.

Tracie

He has a Zoo Med Reptisun 10.0 UVB mounted on his tank, his temperatures are 95 f, and his humidity is around 40-50. He does not want to eat insects but before he usually ate around 15 large crickets to 25. I give him calcium which included vitamin D and also his multivitamines.

The antibiotics that he was prescribed were Metacam for 14 days and Enrofloxacin as well. It looked like his swelling increased just a bit. Yes if you could send me some more information on the treatment it would be very helpful thank you.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The UVB is inside the tank or top of screen -- this is critical --- placement and distance needs to be correct

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Thanks for posting the blood test results. The liver (AST levels) look fine & the kidney levels
(Uric acid) are a bit off, but not horrible yet.
Continue with the black cherry to help out for right now.
How is he doing today? Try to get some extra oral fluids into him, along with the cherry juice
extract to help out with renal function.
You can continue with the Metacam for a little while to help with pain management. I will send
you a PM for more information.

Keep us posted on your boy.
Tracie

SofiaSal

Original Poster
KarrieRee":djwejh7t said:
The UVB is inside the tank or top of screen -- this is critical --- placement and distance needs to be correct

Yes, the UVB is inside the tank.

SofiaSal

Original Poster
Drache613":3p2mrcto said:
Hello,

Thanks for posting the blood test results. The liver (AST levels) look fine & the kidney levels
(Uric acid) are a bit off, but not horrible yet.
Continue with the black cherry to help out for right now.
How is he doing today? Try to get some extra oral fluids into him, along with the cherry juice
extract to help out with renal function.
You can continue with the Metacam for a little while to help with pain management. I will send
you a PM for more information.

Keep us posted on your boy.
Tracie

Hi, yes thank you, he is still very active and attentive. He isn't walking and he still does not want to eat. I bought him some crickets and I will continue to give him water. Thank you for the help!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Since gout is suspected right now, try to keep the number of insects to 25 or under per
week just to be sure the kidneys don't have to break down too much protein.
Continue to keep him hydrated as much as possible.
I did send a PM to you, as well.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom