possible fungal infection???

so i believe this started at the beginning of september? it was very very small. she shed a few times and i noticed that this spot was not only getting bigger but it also wasn’t shedding. a few people i asked said it was just a shedding thing but when i looked it up i started to get kind of worried. right now it looks like it might start shedding? but i’m not sure. i give her warm baths and brush her with a very soft brush like a toothbrush to encourage shedding. the reason i’m not entirely sure if this is fungus is because sometimes it looks like it’s clearing up almost? like it gets lighter. but i don’t know if it could be some type of birth mark because of its growth. (also for a little backstory, i believe she’s about 8/9 months. i got her in the beginning of june and wasn’t told her actual age)

Attachments

• 9E033686-4000-47EC-A212-47EC7728949D.jpeg
    9E033686-4000-47EC-A212-47EC7728949D.jpeg
    266.6 KB · Views: 109
  • F237691A-CFBA-45DB-8B6A-110A71722672.jpeg
    F237691A-CFBA-45DB-8B6A-110A71722672.jpeg
    242.2 KB · Views: 70

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
so i believe this started at the beginning of september? it was very very small. she shed a few times and i noticed that this spot was not only getting bigger but it also wasn’t shedding. a few people i asked said it was just a shedding thing but when i looked it up i started to get kind of worried. right now it looks like it might start shedding? but i’m not sure. i give her warm baths and brush her with a very soft brush like a toothbrush to encourage shedding. the reason i’m not entirely sure if this is fungus is because sometimes it looks like it’s clearing up almost? like it gets lighter. but i don’t know if it could be some type of birth mark because of its growth. (also for a little backstory, i believe she’s about 8/9 months. i got her in the beginning of june and wasn’t told her actual age)
I would recommend seeing a vet --- a reptile vet www.arav.org type in a bigger cities zip code if your in a small town --- in the mean time I am going to have 2 others on here take a look and they can advise on what to do till then--- also please tell me what kind of UVB your using? coil or a long tube fixture?
@AHBD
@Drache613

userr038521055

Original Poster
I would recommend seeing a vet --- a reptile vet www.arav.org type in a bigger cities zip code if your in a small town --- in the mean time I am going to have 2 others on here take a look and they can advise on what to do till then--- also please tell me what kind of UVB your using? coil or a long tube fixture?
@AHBD
@Drache613
i unfortunately did have her on a ceramic heat rock for about a month- the people at the reptile store said it was fine but i was unaware at the time it could be harmful, then after that since it was summer and i live in the desert we didn’t get her a lamp right away- we made sure her tank temp was always around 90°. the lamp she’s had now for about a month is a 100w ceramic heat emitter

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 62

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
i unfortunately did have her on a ceramic heat rock for about a month- the people at the reptile store said it was fine but i was unaware at the time it could be harmful, then after that since it was summer and i live in the desert we didn’t get her a lamp right away- we made sure her tank temp was always around 90°. the lamp she’s had now for about a month is a 100w ceramic heat emitter
Ok so please dont listen to the reptile store anymore --- dragons heat from their backs not the stomach -- and they are dangerous--- too much risk for burns have seen it so many times---- now you need to get a solid clear bright white basking bulb --- some examples are Flukers --- Exo Terra Intense--- Zoo Med Repti basking ---- or a Arcadia Halogen --- start w/ a 100 watt make sure you have a digital probe thermometer to get surface basking temps--- temps should be 105-110 for a baby---- 95-100 for a juvie/ adult--- were you taking or are you taking her outside for UVB? If so that is great but you need to get her a long tube fixture like these
24" Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO High Output Terrarium Hood this would be for a 40 + gallon tank -- keep the 5.0 bulb it comes w/ as a back up you need this bulb 22" Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO High Output Fluorescent Bulb distance and placement will be determined by your screen
or this one 24" you want the 12% bulb Arcadia Reptile ProT5 UV-B Kit | reptile Heating & Lighting | PetSmart
the ceramic heat emitter is good for temps at night when your tank is falling below 65---- this is good for when dragons are sick but your dragon needs the bright white basking bulb for UVA and as far as I know the CHE does not provide that ---
next what is the humidity in the tank? It should not be below 20% and above 70% optimal is 40-50% and should be taken w/ a digital probe hygrometer -- placed on the back center wall of your tank

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That area looks fungal possibly but maybe a burn, I am just not sure. The ceramic heat emitter itself,
shouldn't have burned her but if it was too close then that is possible. Are you using a regular bulb for
basking & brightness?
I would try to get her to a vet for skin analysis to make sure it isn't a fungal infection going on. Do you
have any raw unpasteurized honey or aloe vera gel right now, that you could put on that area?

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom