Possible burns??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azymondias&Ryn

Hatchling Member
I was changing my bearded dragon’s water and since it was his wake up time, I turned on the light. It was on for about five minutes when this happened. I was putting the water bowl back in and I heard a scratching noise, I look over and he is hanging on the inside wall of the terrarium! His body was still inside but he was gripping onto the top of the glass. That is when I noticed his head was inside the DOME the HEAT LIGHT WAS IN. I quickly turned off the light and raised it, moving it away. I picked him up and put him on the floor of the terrarium. He seemed okay and walked around, seeming perfectly fine. It has been a day since this happened (I’ve been watching him carefully) and he has been acting normal. No visible burns or anything. The bulb was a 100 watt I believe. I don’t think he was physically touching the bulb but inside the space between it and the dome, maybe touching the dome. Help?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I was changing my bearded dragon’s water and since it was his wake up time, I turned on the light. It was on for about five minutes when this happened. I was putting the water bowl back in and I heard a scratching noise, I look over and he is hanging on the inside wall of the terrarium! His body was still inside but he was gripping onto the top of the glass. That is when I noticed his head was inside the DOME the HEAT LIGHT WAS IN. I quickly turned off the light and raised it, moving it away. I picked him up and put him on the floor of the terrarium. He seemed okay and walked around, seeming perfectly fine. It has been a day since this happened (I’ve been watching him carefully) and he has been acting normal. No visible burns or anything. The bulb was a 100 watt I believe. I don’t think he was physically touching the bulb but inside the space between it and the dome, maybe touching the dome. Help?
Are there burns? If so post a pic- please raise the basking bulb - it needs to be at least 6" away from him- recommended is 8"

Azymondias&Ryn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Are there burns? If so post a pic- please raise the basking bulb - it needs to be at least 6" away from him- recommended is 8"
No, he has been acting normal. When you touch his head he acts regularly and nothing is red. The bulb is about 6 away from his head when on the basking hammock, I just raised it so probably seven

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No, he has been acting normal. When you touch his head he acts regularly and nothing is red. The bulb is about 6 away from his head when on the basking hammock, I just raised it so probably seven
I am wondering why he jumped at the bulb -- odd --

Azymondias&Ryn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I am wondering why he jumped at the bulb -- odd --
I think he was trying to get out of the tank. Here is a very inaccurate drawing 😂

Attachments

• B12981EF-D1D2-4AD7-ABD6-A1B7324E1299.jpg
    B12981EF-D1D2-4AD7-ABD6-A1B7324E1299.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 63

Azymondias&Ryn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Please go over your basking temps and how your taking them and uvb are you using a coil or a tube fixture
Basking temps are medium to high 90s. UVB is a coil but I take him out almost everyday and I I’m looking for a better one.

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel my female two year old beardie
Thats what my beardie did when I put the thing too close(according to my dad it was good for them to be that close to the light) and she just jumped and was clinging on so I lured it about 7" but my dad kept on putting it higher back to where it was until I finally said two days later that she keep jumping onto the fine mesh so he stoppedXD

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Basking temps are medium to high 90s. UVB is a coil but I take him out almost everyday and I I’m looking for a better one.
Temps need to be 95-100 surface basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- as far coil UVB's they are a health hazzard -- please replace w/ one of these they are one of the best on the market -- I am not a fan of coils at all - I have seen too many dragons on this forum w / terrible issues from inadequate UVB
24" for a tank of 40 + gallons
or this one
24" Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood this comes w/ a 5.0 bulb keep it for a back up distance for this bulb is different from the one you need 22"Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO
If your gonna replace it please post back on here for help to get it correctly placed for your tank - this will depend on your screen

Azymondias&Ryn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Temps need to be 95-100 surface basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- as far coil UVB's they are a health hazzard -- please replace w/ one of these they are one of the best on the market -- I am not a fan of coils at all - I have seen too many dragons on this forum w / terrible issues from inadequate UVB
24" for a tank of 40 + gallons
or this one
24" Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood this comes w/ a 5.0 bulb keep it for a back up distance for this bulb is different from the one you need 22"Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO
If your gonna replace it please post back on here for help to get it correctly placed for your tank - this will depend on your screen
Thanks, I’ll get one as soon as possible. Hopefully my parents will let me, they think bearded dragons only need “some uvb” and therefore didn’t want me to buy a long tube because it’s “unnecessary.” Do you know how to assemble the tube bulbs? Like how and where to place them?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thanks, I’ll get one as soon as possible. Hopefully my parents will let me, they think bearded dragons only need “some uvb” and therefore didn’t want me to buy a long tube because it’s “unnecessary.” Do you know how to assemble the tube bulbs? Like how and where to place them?
Not much assembly just install the tube in the fixture-- the placement and distance is crucial and will depend on your screen- uvb is one of the most important things in the tank -- your dragon will not live long w / out it and and will die a terrible death w/ out it- coils are inadequate - please get one of the fixtures I posted- cheap uvb's are not recommended

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

We can definitely help with lighting placement, when you do change out the compact/coil UVB light.
It is much easier to be proactive with care now, to avoid health problems in the future. If they don't
receive adequate UVB over time, they will develop metabolic bone issues which cause them a myriad
of health problems. So, it's best to get the proper UVB lighting, initially to help avoid health problems
& to have a happier & healthier dragon.
They have thick scales that need stronger UVB exposure to penetrate through. Really, the long tube
bulbs are not all that expensive & in the long run a lot less than vet bills!
A lot of dragons are terrible about trying to climb on basking bulbs. If there aren't any visible signs of
a burn by now, then he should be perfectly fine.

Tracie

Azymondias&Ryn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Not much assembly just install the tube in the fixture-- the placement and distance is crucial and will depend on your screen- uvb is one of the most important things in the tank -- your dragon will not live long w / out it and and will die a terrible death w/ out it- coils are inadequate - please get one of the fixtures I posted- cheap uvb's are not recommended
Okay, will do!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom