Possible brumation?

beebs

I just got a beardie about a week ago, and I'm super new to this so I thought I would ask: Do bearded dragons stop eating altogether when they brumate? Mine stopped eating altogether the second or third day I had him. I took him back to the pet store and they checked him out, said he was still active and his colors were bright so he was probably getting ready for brumation. Recently, he has been going into a very deep sleep and moving less, but still wakes up and moves around his tank and moves when I pick him up. Should I be worried about him not eating for such a long time?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I just got a beardie about a week ago, and I'm super new to this so I thought I would ask: Do bearded dragons stop eating altogether when they brumate? Mine stopped eating altogether the second or third day I had him. I took him back to the pet store and they checked him out, said he was still active and his colors were bright so he was probably getting ready for brumation. Recently, he has been going into a very deep sleep and moving less, but still wakes up and moves around his tank and moves when I pick him up. Should I be worried about him not eating for such a long time?
Full brumation yes no eating -- semi brumation they may sleep for a week or two come out and eat -- hes going thru relocation stress so his eating will be off but he should be eating something--- please go over your UVB coil or a long tube ? Surface basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? NO stick ons please --- digital probe thermometers only please ------ here is some info on brumation --- how old is the dragon? Babies DO NOT brumate ---

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
So soon as I think I am getting better- 2-3 weeks of headbobbing and blackened beard?! I am NOT CUT OUT FOR THIS BD LIFE, OMG
It was great to re-read, "Its very rare for a Beardie that is under a year old to brumate, unless they were born extremely early in the year and are rapidly approaching a year old when cold weather sets in, however it is possible." - this is Rocky!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Beebs, the 2nd article that Karrie linked is better info than the first.
So how big is your dragon ? If it's a baby then something else is up, babies don't brumate. Answering Karrie's questions about the lighting + temps. is very important. Please post some pics of your entire set up and the dragon as well, we should be able to help you. Include pics of whatever insects you have as well, or at least describe the size in comparison to your dragon.

beebs

Original Poster
Hi friends— thanks so much for the help earlier! My beardie began eating as soon as I posted, and he went looked so much better, so I forgot to answer. However, this whole situation has begun again and I want to help him as soon as possible in case it is something bigger... I am using UVB coils, and the thermometer reads 100 on the basking site and 85 on the other side. I'm not sure about the age but he is a juvenile beardie, about 6 in/15 cm in length. I've attached some pictures of the setup, including a picture of my beardie in his lethargic state... thanks again for all your help!
Screen Shot 2022-11-05 at 1.09.44 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-11-05 at 1.09.56 PM.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hi friends— thanks so much for the help earlier! My beardie began eating as soon as I posted, and he went looked so much better, so I forgot to answer. However, this whole situation has begun again and I want to help him as soon as possible in case it is something bigger... I am using UVB coils, and the thermometer reads 100 on the basking site and 85 on the other side. I'm not sure about the age but he is a juvenile beardie, about 6 in/15 cm in length. I've attached some pictures of the setup, including a picture of my beardie in his lethargic state... thanks again for all your help! View attachment 75295 View attachment 75296
Please get rid of the coils - your dragon will not eat w/ out correct uvb - please invest in a Arcadia pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb found at PetSmart or you can order it or a sunblaster nano tech 24" you will need to change the bulb out to a 22" reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb - do this as soon as you can - your dragon does not look good- please post back on here when you get it so I can help you place it for your tank - placement and distance will depend on your screen- in the meantime please keep him hydrated-- and get some baby food chicken and feed him-

beebs

Original Poster
Please get rid of the coils - your dragon will not eat w/ out correct uvb - please invest in a Arcadia pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb found at PetSmart or you can order it or a sunblaster nano tech 24" you will need to change the bulb out to a 22" reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb - do this as soon as you can - your dragon does not look good- please post back on here when you get it so I can help you place it for your tank - placement and distance will depend on your screen- in the meantime please keep him hydrated-- and get some baby food chicken and feed him-
oh my, is this the correct product? I can probably get it today or tomorrow... how should I feed him?
Screen Shot 2022-11-05 at 2.07.23 PM.jpg

beebs

Original Poster
Yes- what do you mean how should you feed?
I just wanted clarification on the part you said about baby food chicken, is that regular baby food? also, if he doesn't want to eat it should I use a syringe or just wait until he accepts?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I just wanted clarification on the part you said about baby food chicken, is that regular baby food? also, if he doesn't want to eat it should I use a syringe or just wait until he accepts?
Yes baby food organic - see if he will lick off of a spoon- if not you may force feed - I would make it soupy consistency so he gets hydration as well

beebs

Original Poster
Unfortunately, my beardie passed away on Saturday night. Thank you all for attempting to help me, my heart hurts and I'm still trying to process it, but I really do appreciate all of your tips and concern.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Unfortunately, my beardie passed away on Saturday night. Thank you all for attempting to help me, my heart hurts and I'm still trying to process it, but I really do appreciate all of your tips and concern.
I am so sorry to hear about your dragon--- it is so hard to lose them -- he didnt look so good in the pic- where did you get him from ?

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom