Possible Blood in Urate?

Shotty.Sub

Beardie name(s)
Fiona
Hi,

So. I have a 15 month old bearded dragon. We adopted her and the previous owner had her in a bioactive set up. As we were preparing her new non-bioactive tank, she ended up eating a charcoal rock thinking it was a bug. This happened on June 25th. I didn't see the full size of it as I heard it crunching, saw her chewing, ran to grab it, and she swallowed it right as I got to her.

She pooped on June 26th. Then took longer than usual to poop and pooped on July 4th. Here is a picture.
1657645672120.jpg

She did a small poop again on July 5th. Then pooped again today (July 12th). Here is the picture and possibly blood?
1657645731331.jpg

She is still energetic ,eating, no abnormal bulges, back legs work fine. No black beard or stress lines. Seems happy. No other signs of illness as far as I can tell. She had a parasite test about a month ago. We did just move her into her new tank (safe from edible objects - no loose substrates) and she is mid shed if that could cause any of this.

Just want to make sure it's not impaction or anything dangerous.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
If she is poo'ing its not impaction. Maybe ahbd or tracey can give a better reply though.

Shotty.Sub

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Fiona
If she is poo'ing its not impaction. Maybe ahbd or tracey can give a better reply though.
Ok, good to know, that was my biggest fear. We saved the fecal sample. We can take it back in.

The previous owner was feeding super worms as a staple. We switched her to to crickets. So new brand, so possible she's gotten a parasite since then.

Would love any other input though ☺️ Definitely want to keep her healthy as possible.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
For sure, crickets can introduce parasites. Dubia roaches are a better option. Give supers hornworms ect as a treat. Bsfl are a good staple but it takes a lot of them. Silkworms are also good but can be hard to get.
The vets want fecals 24 hour old or less. Keep it in a sealed bad till you can get it there.

Shotty.Sub

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Fiona
For sure, crickets can introduce parasites. Dubia roaches are a better option. Give supers hornworms ect as a treat. Bsfl are a good staple but it takes a lot of them. Silkworms are also good but can be hard to get.
The vets want fecals 24 hour old or less. Keep it in a sealed bad till you can get it there.
We'll take the fecal in. Feel free to @ anybody else who light have insight :)

Yeah, I live in Florida. So Dubai aren't allowed, but I was going to look into discoids and maybe trying to have a colony

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Definitely take the fecal sample in, just in case there could be parasites or worms involved.
She isn't impacted though but sometimes if they are a little dehydrated that can cause the urates
to be a little harder. The urates can become disolored from supplementation or foods sometimes.
What type of supplementation are you using?

Tracie

Shotty.Sub

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Fiona
Hi, we took the fecal sample in and came back positive for roundworms. We're getting medicine tonight or tomorrow. I'll have to look up a video on how to give it via syringe.

Are they usually able to recover fully?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Were the roundworm counts low or high? Which medication was prescribed for him?
He should definitely be able to easily recover from this, just keep him well hydrated &
get him on a probiotic if his appetite decreases from the meds.
When giving fluids or medications with a dropper or syringe, you can simply go to the
side of his mouth/lip area, to avoid aspiration. If you give by dropping onto his nose, he
should lick any fluids, etc off of the end of his nose pretty easily. Just take your time when
doing so & he should be fine.

Tracie

Shotty.Sub

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Fiona
Hello,

Were the roundworm counts low or high? Which medication was prescribed for him?
He should definitely be able to easily recover from this, just keep him well hydrated &
get him on a probiotic if his appetite decreases from the meds.
When giving fluids or medications with a dropper or syringe, you can simply go to the
side of his mouth/lip area, to avoid aspiration. If you give by dropping onto his nose, he
should lick any fluids, etc off of the end of his nose pretty easily. Just take your time when
doing so & he should be fine.

Tracie
Thank you! Unfortunately, our vet front desk wasn't the most helpful and didn't give us an idea of count.

3 doses of panacur, then in 3 weeks, another 3 doses. She's taking it really well, she's very docile and gentle.

She's slowing down on her greens atm but still eating a bit, plus loving her insects as usual. I'll check if my local pet store has probiotics :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great, it sounds like she is handling the medication without any trouble right now.
Yes, be sure the probiotics are non dairy & organic so they are healthy for her.
Hopefully she will start eating her greens more often again. They tend to stop eating so
many greens when they don't feel well.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom