Pore Buildup

FatalTrip

Beardie name(s)
Julian
Switched to biodude from walnut shells to prevent beardies pores from getting clogged but it does not look like it is helping, is this a bad buildup or normal? I have been considering slate tile for a few months now because of substrate complications.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Switched to biodude from walnut shells to prevent beardies pores from getting clogged but it does not look like it is helping, is this a bad buildup or normal? I have been considering slate tile for a few months now because of substrate complications.
Soak in some diluted betadine solution make it look like a weak tea for around 10 min or so you want them soft - you can also use some coconut oil - I do that apply w/ a baby soft toothbrush or Q tip will work - he needs some sort of rough surface in the tank so when he rubs across it they can come out - its ok if they are flat but if they start sticking out like a candle stick thats when they need to come out --

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I keep sandstone in my males habitat, but pretty much any slab of rock should work including slate. However slate has a finer texture so it may take all little longer to see results.
Just make sure its secured and can't fall on him. (I know I'm speaking the obvious but better safe than sorry :) )

FatalTrip

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Julian
I keep sandstone in my males habitat, but pretty much any slab of rock should work including slate. However slate has a finer texture so it may take all little longer to see results.
Just make sure its secured and can't fall on him. (I know I'm speaking the obvious but better safe than sorry :) )
We got more wood stuff so he can scratch on that, but I meant we might get slate tiles for the whole bottom of the tank, whats your opinion of that? I saw sandstone tiles on home depot website that were availible too, I searched sandstone for reptile and only found fake petco ones lol. Home depot was best bet.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
We got more wood stuff so he can scratch on that, but I meant we might get slate tiles for the whole bottom of the tank, whats your opinion of that? I saw sandstone tiles on home depot website that were availible too, I searched sandstone for reptile and only found fake petco ones lol. Home depot was best bet.
You don't want something that is real coarse that causes abrasions- also slate can get real hot -

FatalTrip

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Julian
You don't want something that is real coarse that causes abrasions- also slate can get real hot -
I dont think it would get hot enough to burn, I finally got a laser temp reader to be safe :)
EDIT: I will try to test temperature and have him outside while i let it heat up. Anything recommended? like sandstone on the bottom instead of slate tile

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
I dont think it would get hot enough to burn, I finally got a laser temp reader to be safe :)
EDIT: I will try to test temperature and have him outside while i let it heat up. Anything recommended? like sandstone on the bottom instead of slate tile
Personally I would think sandstone is too porous and would be a pain to keep clean and sanitary as a substrate. I've heard slate is easy to clean with 50/50 water and vinegar.

I have a Zen habitat and use the mat they make for it, and used carpet before that. I can say carpet is terrible. Hard to keep clean, holds bacteria, catches nails, and bugs get under very easily. I love how easy the mat is to clean, but I was thinking about switching to something more naturalistic if not full bioactive in the future. Gives me a little pause though, seeing you have some trouble with it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Here is a pic of the tile I use from Home Depot -- it does not get hot and has some texture -- the is slated ceramic tile -- go to the store and run your hand across the tile - that is how I did it -- then you can see how coarse or abrasive it is -- my dragons have never gotten any type of feet or belly abrasions from this stuff

Attachments

• floor tile.jpg
    floor tile.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 67

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I agree with Smaug and Karrie. I wouldn't try to do the whole bottom in sandstone, if you use a glass enclosure it would be really heavy, and it can be hard to clean. I have a couple pieces i set up as hides and basking in that habitat but i have shelf liner in the bottom so my boy can get off the sandstone if he wants to.

Attachments

• 20220618_103323.jpg
    20220618_103323.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 65
  • 20220723_094946.jpg
    20220723_094946.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 68

FatalTrip

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Julian
I agree with Smaug and Karrie. I wouldn't try to do the whole bottom in sandstone, if you use a glass enclosure it would be really heavy, and it can be hard to clean. I have a couple pieces i set up as hides and basking in that habitat but i have shelf liner in the bottom so my boy can get off the sandstone if he wants to.
Shelf liner is a great idea, I am probably going to use your idea or karrie suggestion

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
No, his pores are not bad but you do need something rough for him to crawl on. I agree with the suggestion of using rocks. You can even gather them from outside if you live near a creek or river. Just soak + scrub them in very hot water with dish soap + vinegar, then rinse well with hot water. All of my rocks come from outdoors and you can find some beautiful ones.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom