Ponazuril dosage

Chrismcnicholas

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hello,

That is great to hear you haven't seen any negative side effects, I didn't think that you would,
but it's always good to have no problems!
Were you able to get the F10 diluted anymore, or did you use it as was already prepared?

Let us know how things are going!
Tracie
I didn't dilute it more, it comes as a 1:250 dilution. Should I dilute more in the future?

Chrismcnicholas

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Update, things were going well but yesterday when I went to feed him he only ate about half the crickets he usually does, and today he only ate 1. Still seems to be picking at his salad here and there though. Gave him quite a bit of water yesterday with a dropper on his nose as he seemed a little dehydrated and he seemed to perk up a little. He still seems to be basking as he was up on his basking spot with his mouth slightly open last night, and he doesn't have stress marks or a black beard. Kinda wondering if he's just slowing down.

Last edited:

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
Update, things were going well but yesterday when I went to feed him he only ate about half the crickets he usually does, and today he only ate 1. Still seems to be picking at his salad here and there though. Gave him quite a bit of water yesterday with a dropper on his nose as he seemed a little dehydrated and he seemed to perk up a little. He still seems to be basking as he was up on his basking spot with his mouth slightly open last night, and he doesn't have stress marks or a black beard. Kinda wondering if he's just slowing down.
& You're giving both medicines and a cleaning tank at least once a day no more than 4X a day?
If you do that Both Coccidia and Pinworms could be knocked out in 3 days.

Chrismcnicholas

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
& You're giving both medicines and a cleaning tank at least once a day no more than 4X a day?
If you do that Both Coccidia and Pinworms could be knocked out in 3 days.
I was only prescribed 1 medicine (ponazuril) for 2 doses total 48 hours apart. I only deep cleaned once and spot cleaned when he pooped. I can up the cleaning and do another fecal next week and see where we are at if I need to.

I'm just honestly wondering if his lethargy and lack of eating may just be him slowing down to begin with.

Last edited:

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
Sorry, I'm having a hard time logging in because of "Murphy's Law".

Anyways,
You need those 2 meds that Trace recommended.

Contact Drache613 for another med.
Ponazuril & Toltrazuril anti-coccidial agents
It's fairly cheap off her website if you click that link it will take you to her account and you can check out her website for the other med you need to get the Coccidia cleared up.

Thanks.

Chrismcnicholas

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Sorry, I'm having a hard time logging in because of "Murphy's Law".

Anyways,
You need those 2 meds that Trace recommended.

Contact Drache613 for another med.

It's fairly cheap off her website if you click that link it will take you to her account and you can check out her website for the other med you need to get the Coccidia cleared up.

Thanks.
I belive that ponazuril and toltrazuril are the same medicine or at the very last interchangeable.

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
I believe that ponazuril and toltrazuril are the same medicine or at the very least interchangeable.
As far as I know, they're different.
Ponazuril kills pinworms.
& I was told Toltrazuril could potentially treat/lower coccidia levels in 3 days instead of the 7-14 Day gestation period of Albon.

Chrismcnicholas

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
As far as I know, they're different.
Ponazuril kills pinworms.
& I was told Toltrazuril could potentially treat/lower coccidia levels in 3 days instead of the 7-14 Day gestation period of Albon.
Yeah, I'm honestly not sure but all I can find is that both ponazuril and toltrazuril are used to treat coccidia.

Maybe @Drache613 can clear it up next time they're online.

Chrismcnicholas

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He has also started sitting with his mouth slightly open, in this picture he's in a cave on the warm side of his tank, but I've seen him do it on the cooler side once or twice. He doesn't seem to be struggling to breath and I don't hear any crackling when he does so I don't THINK it's a respiratory issue.
20230119_155506.jpg

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
He has also started sitting with his mouth slightly open, in this picture he's in a cave on the warm side of his tank, but I've seen him do it on the cooler side once or twice. He doesn't seem to be struggling to breath and I don't hear any crackling when he does so I don't THINK it's a respiratory issue.
View attachment 77118
As long as it's not a respiratory issue.
won't affect his life too terribly.
Just keep it up and try to get the Toltrazuril.

Drache613 will tell you he needs Toltrazuril for his high Coccidia count.
They are separate medications with separate effects, and you need them both.

Pet his beard & see if you hear a popping noise to check for URI.
URI is horrible.
one of my babies had one.

What you have potentially can be cleared up to be frank, quite easily with both meds.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon today, is his breathing normal most of the day? They can have clicking &
popping when they breathe at night, which is their glottis opening & closing. Does he have any
mucous in his mouth & nose?
Be sure to keep him around 75-80F overnight to help boost his immune system right now.
How many days have you given the Ponazuril for him?

Tracie

Chrismcnicholas

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hello,

How is your dragon today, is his breathing normal most of the day? They can have clicking &
popping when they breathe at night, which is their glottis opening & closing. Does he have any
mucous in his mouth & nose?
Be sure to keep him around 75-80F overnight to help boost his immune system right now.
How many days have you given the Ponazuril for him?

Tracie
Hello, there was never any clicking or popping and there has not been any mucous.

He had 2 doses of the ponazuril 48 hours apart last week on the 12th and 14th.

Now he's off bugs and barely picking at his salad, and sleeping a lot. Got regular temps under control and still trying to fix humidity in the beardie ER thread. I will try to raise temps overnight

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, so he doesn't seem to be having any problems from the medication thus far? Since he isn't
eating much, you can try giving some probiotics & maybe some bee pollen to help with his appetite.

Tracie

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom