Ponazuril and lethargy, coincidence?

Akg12saurus

Beardie name(s)
Gosha
Here's a long one...

Gosha is 8-month old fairly active beardie, who was a good eater of dubias, and even better with crickets and mealworms, with regular poop schedule. He would always about half his salad daily as well. He had his first vet visit about two and half weeks ago for general checkup, stool sample, and to see if black spots on scales were mites or freckles (thankfully freckles) bc I am paranoid like that. The vet said he looked great and all, but his stool sample showed some pinworms (normal levels according to the vet) and high coccidia levels that needed treatment.

The same day we came back from the vet (before starting the meds which was later in the week), I noticed that Gosha became lethargic throughout the day and he effectively stopped eating dubias and salads altogether. I have offered a variety of salads and ways to eat dubias (hunting, bait and switch with mealworms, etc.) and nothing. He does not want salad anymore?! It's also a hit or a miss with crickets nowadays as they are almost too much effort even when brought to him with tongs. The only thing he'll liven up for and consistently eat are mealworms and supers and waxworms that I give as treats.

He spends a lot more time in the cooler areas of his tank and generally does not really move much, unless I take him out. I have to move him to his basking spot many mornings bc two hours after lights come on, he still does not move. Generally observing him throughout the day, he just doesn't really move, but is not sleeping during the day either. He does move around more when I take him out into my room and outside in the sun. Of course he tries to "eat and run" when it comes to grass that I have to watch out for, but I do believe he tries to nab the grass because eating helps stimulate potty time. Since the vet's office, he has pooped about every 2-3 days or so and only outside.

Are the meds the cause of this? Coccidia? Age? What's going on? Is he self regulating food now that he is older? He really was doing good until the vet visit and then meds. He took the first two doses like a champ and is due for the next two doses starting this Saturday. I added Tracie's Reptophilius and 5 or so drops of Repti-hydrate daily since it came over the weekend. He mostly licks both supplements without me forcefully opening his mouth. Should I start incorporating veggie slurries with his supplements as well? Or is it too soon to worry? Thoughts and suggestions?

Also random observation, he hasn't really shed at all I'd say in the last month or so, normal for an 8-month old?

Set-up:
62 gallon - 48"x18"x18"
day temps: 90+ on basking side with 105 on basking spot and 75ish on cool side during the day
night temps: 68-70
UVB: 34" Repti Zoo T5 HO UVB Lighting w/ Desert 10.0 UVB T5 Lamp, on top mesh, across tank (5 month old UVB)
Basking and other: basking spot - PAR38 halogen flood light - 120 Volt in a dimmable dome; other end - Fluker’s 75W basking bulb in a dimmable dome

TIA!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, can you post a few pics of Gosha ? Since it started right when you brought him home from the vet [ if you're sure they didn't give him a first dose ] then he might have become very stressed from the visit itself. Were you with him during the exam ? Poor guy may be very sensitive so that experience seemed to kick it off.

He should get back to normal behavior soon, although some do go off food when taking any type of meds.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I hope that your dragon likes the Reptophilus & Repti-hydrate.
The Reptisun 10 T5 tube is a good bulb. How big are the holes on the mesh? Be sure that
the UVB can get through the mesh, it can block the UVB exposure to some extent.
The Ponazuril is usually mild on the system when dosed properly but all meds can cause a
reaction if overdosed.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Akg12saurus

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Gosha
Hi there, can you post a few pics of Gosha ? Since it started right when you brought him home from the vet [ if you're sure they didn't give him a first dose ] then he might have become very stressed from the visit itself. Were you with him during the exam ? Poor guy may be very sensitive so that experience seemed to kick it off.

He should get back to normal behavior soon, although some do go off food when taking any type of meds.
Sure thing, I took those photos yesterday, just didn't get to post them. He is on makeshift decor temporarily while we are doing the coccidia treatment, which may add to his stress as well?

You may be right about the vet visit and him being sensitive. As for the vet visit itself, I was in the exam room with him, they just did a physical, weighed him and looked at his pearly whites. He didn't get the stress marks during the visit, but he was not a fan of the exam and ended up climbing on my head afterwards (which happens super rarely) as I was talking to the vet. He was also not a fan of riding in his pet carrier to a from the visit and did have stress markings then.

Like I said he still does eat some things and runs around outside his viv and all.

I just don't know...I feel like I am stressing for not reason, but honestly can't help it. 🙃

Attachments

• gosha 1.jpg
    gosha 1.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 67
  • gosha 2.jpg
    gosha 2.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 62
  • gosha 3.jpg
    gosha 3.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 66

Akg12saurus

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Gosha
Hello,

I hope that your dragon likes the Reptophilus & Repti-hydrate.
The Reptisun 10 T5 tube is a good bulb. How big are the holes on the mesh? Be sure that
the UVB can get through the mesh, it can block the UVB exposure to some extent.
The Ponazuril is usually mild on the system when dosed properly but all meds can cause a
reaction if overdosed.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie
Thanks, Tracie! He does like both Reptophilus and Repti-hydrate. I had to force administer his meds and thought I would have to do the same for the supplements but he's been licking them off his nose like a good boy without issues. Reptophilus and Repti-hydrate must be tasty because this guy does not like anything sweet - fruit, bee pollen, nothing.

The wholes in my mesh are fairly big or at least confirmed as such in my UVB lighting post, thankfully (see pic - although the light is now on top of the mesh unlike the pic).

I'll definitely keep you updated. Tomorrow is his second round of meds, so we'll see how it goes.

Attachments

• tempImageunNDdw.jpg
    tempImageunNDdw.jpg
    403.2 KB · Views: 58

ds_1771

Beardie name(s)
Abelardo Texas
Here's a long one...

Gosha is 8-month old fairly active beardie, who was a good eater of dubias, and even better with crickets and mealworms, with regular poop schedule. He would always about half his salad daily as well. He had his first vet visit about two and half weeks ago for general checkup, stool sample, and to see if black spots on scales were mites or freckles (thankfully freckles) bc I am paranoid like that. The vet said he looked great and all, but his stool sample showed some pinworms (normal levels according to the vet) and high coccidia levels that needed treatment.

The same day we came back from the vet (before starting the meds which was later in the week), I noticed that Gosha became lethargic throughout the day and he effectively stopped eating dubias and salads altogether. I have offered a variety of salads and ways to eat dubias (hunting, bait and switch with mealworms, etc.) and nothing. He does not want salad anymore?! It's also a hit or a miss with crickets nowadays as they are almost too much effort even when brought to him with tongs. The only thing he'll liven up for and consistently eat are mealworms and supers and waxworms that I give as treats.

He spends a lot more time in the cooler areas of his tank and generally does not really move much, unless I take him out. I have to move him to his basking spot many mornings bc two hours after lights come on, he still does not move. Generally observing him throughout the day, he just doesn't really move, but is not sleeping during the day either. He does move around more when I take him out into my room and outside in the sun. Of course he tries to "eat and run" when it comes to grass that I have to watch out for, but I do believe he tries to nab the grass because eating helps stimulate potty time. Since the vet's office, he has pooped about every 2-3 days or so and only outside.

Are the meds the cause of this? Coccidia? Age? What's going on? Is he self regulating food now that he is older? He really was doing good until the vet visit and then meds. He took the first two doses like a champ and is due for the next two doses starting this Saturday. I added Tracie's Reptophilius and 5 or so drops of Repti-hydrate daily since it came over the weekend. He mostly licks both supplements without me forcefully opening his mouth. Should I start incorporating veggie slurries with his supplements as well? Or is it too soon to worry? Thoughts and suggestions?

Also random observation, he hasn't really shed at all I'd say in the last month or so, normal for an 8-month old?

Set-up:
62 gallon - 48"x18"x18"
day temps: 90+ on basking side with 105 on basking spot and 75ish on cool side during the day
night temps: 68-70
UVB: 34" Repti Zoo T5 HO UVB Lighting w/ Desert 10.0 UVB T5 Lamp, on top mesh, across tank (5 month old UVB)
Basking and other: basking spot - PAR38 halogen flood light - 120 Volt in a dimmable dome; other end - Fluker’s 75W basking bulb in a dimmable dome

TIA!
I'm literally struggling with the same thing! My dragon went through 2 rounds of Albon for Coccidia. Didn't work... So his medicine was changed to Ponazuril. He just tested negative for Coccidia! Finally! You would think I'm happy right? Well, I am but... Now my dragon is very lethargic. Ponazuril did the trick but my dragon won't eat anything! He doesn't even want to bask. I see him and omg his face is so tired and just not himself. Not eating or pooping either. Well off to the vet again! For bloodwork and another recheck for my peace of mind. Physical exam- good, Fecal- no more coccidia, bloodwork-low calcium. That's it! But he really is acting very lethargic ever since Ponazuril came to play. I was even giving my dragon Bene Bac probiotic for my dragon. But nope, Ponazuril really knocked him out. Now doing small tweaks to his routine to get calcium more higher and hoping that does the trick for my dragon. Good luck with your baby. ❤️

Akg12saurus

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Gosha
I'm literally struggling with the same thing! My dragon went through 2 rounds of Albon for Coccidia. Didn't work... So his medicine was changed to Ponazuril. He just tested negative for Coccidia! Finally! You would think I'm happy right? Well, I am but... Now my dragon is very lethargic. Ponazuril did the trick but my dragon won't eat anything! He doesn't even want to bask. I see him and omg his face is so tired and just not himself. Not eating or pooping either. Well off to the vet again! For bloodwork and another recheck for my peace of mind. Physical exam- good, Fecal- no more coccidia, bloodwork-low calcium. That's it! But he really is acting very lethargic ever since Ponazuril came to play. I was even giving my dragon Bene Bac probiotic for my dragon. But nope, Ponazuril really knocked him out. Now doing small tweaks to his routine to get calcium more higher and hoping that does the trick for my dragon. Good luck with your baby. ❤️
Ugh, so frustrating I just wish they could tell us what's wrong! Sorry you are dealing with this as well and hope that everything is resolved and your baby's energy and appetite pick back up.

Akg12saurus

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Gosha
Update: A week ago we finished up his meds and I think we have kind of settled into a new food routine with Gosha.

He seems to eat a little bit of salad every other day to every few days it seems, get offered fresh salad every day still. I also still offer him dubias every other day, which he doesn't eat, and mealworms the other days, which he happily gobbles up. He also had a couple crickets today as well, so progress I guess. I'd say he's on a hunger strike, but his apparent love for mealworms and superworms, sometimes crickets and other treat bugs, tells another story.

His colors are good and he happily spends some time exploring parts of the apartment and basking and trying to eat things he is not supposed to outside, much to my dismay. :ROFLMAO:

In a week or so we'll do another fecal to see if his coccidia levels are contained. But I have this feeling that this is feeding routing is our new normal now. If it wasn't so ridiculously hot, I'd look into ordering silkworms and BSFL to see how he feels about them now.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Make damn sure the vet doesn't give you dragons an enema to get the fecal. It's exceedingly dangerous. I took my boy in a couple months ago to have a general check done (i though he was going to go into brumation)
The vet said he had an ever so slight elevated cocidia level. He sent me home with meds, sorry i don't remember which. But anyway Zen crashed much like yours. (I suspect he was given an enema because he lost near all use of his back legs nearly immediately and had very severe twitching). I got him some omnivore critical care. (he refused to eat anything else at all) . My routine became to take him outside evey morning just at sun up so he wouldn't over heat (i live in vegas .. its HOT). The girlfriend would bring him back in when she left for work. He gets an hour and a half of real sun like that. Doing that coupled with the critical care i started seeing real improvements in about 2 weeks. I still do that but have cut the critical care to a couple times per week because his appetite has come back and he has recovered use of his legs.
I know this is a long read but i feel its important. BE VERY CAREFUL WITH VETS. they can do more harm than good. Not all vets are bad but likewise not all vets are good.
If your going to do a fecal collect it yourself, keep it in a ziplock and get it to the vet within 24 hours

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am happy to hear that he likes both the Reptophilus & Repti-hydrate & hope that they
are helping him out.
So is he done with all of his meds right now? It will take a little bit of time for him to get
back to normal. That is very strange the Ponazuril really affected him.
It sounds like he is getting his appetite back, too since he is eating on his own, too.
The sunshine is great for him so that should be very beneficial for his health & behavior.
Hopefully he gets to feeling better soon.

Tracie

Akg12saurus

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Gosha
Make damn sure the vet doesn't give you dragons an enema to get the fecal. It's exceedingly dangerous. I took my boy in a couple months ago to have a general check done (i though he was going to go into brumation)
The vet said he had an ever so slight elevated cocidia level. He sent me home with meds, sorry i don't remember which. But anyway Zen crashed much like yours. (I suspect he was given an enema because he lost near all use of his back legs nearly immediately and had very severe twitching). I got him some omnivore critical care. (he refused to eat anything else at all) . My routine became to take him outside evey morning just at sun up so he wouldn't over heat (i live in vegas .. its HOT). The girlfriend would bring him back in when she left for work. He gets an hour and a half of real sun like that. Doing that coupled with the critical care i started seeing real improvements in about 2 weeks. I still do that but have cut the critical care to a couple times per week because his appetite has come back and he has recovered use of his legs.
I know this is a long read but i feel its important. BE VERY CAREFUL WITH VETS. they can do more harm than good. Not all vets are bad but likewise not all vets are good.
If your going to do a fecal collect it yourself, keep it in a ziplock and get it to the vet within 24 hours
No enemas here, they've only asked me for a sample and I was with him at the vet the whole time, so nothing hinky. Thank you for the heads up and goo luck with your boy, glad he is on the up and up!

SPandS

Juvie Member
Do you have a repti zoo or a reptisun uvb? Reptisun is a good brand but I believe the reptizoo isn't unless there has been new evidence to suggest otherwise. Just throwing that out there in case he isn't getting enough uvb.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom