PM Heat Source etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! I have 2 items that I've love advice on!

First....I've only had my guy for a short period and he's been doing great without overnight heat but it's starting to cool down overnight and I know I'm getting close to the point where I'll need to include it.

Barry is currently in a 40g br tank. I use a 150W ReptiSun basking light and his basking area hovers around 105 give or take and the cool side, during the day is typically in the low to mid 80 range. (those are the temps for this week, last week the cool side was higher but it was in the 90s here in PA). He also has a reptisun 10v UVB mounted inside the tank near his basking area.

My question is this, my house gets COLD in the winter so I want to get every thing in place early. I've seen a lot of thoughts on lighting and heating and wanted to see what would be best for the size tank I'm using. Would a ceramic bulb be enough? Should I double up with an undertank warmer? :?:

I don't have a recent photo but can take one later if that is requested.

Second, I am currently using sand as my substrate with ceramic tiles on one side where I place his veggie bowl. After lots of lurking around here I'm convinced to nix the sand. My reasoning for doing it in the first place was to mimic his natural habitat as best I could, but I don't want to risk it. We will be removing the sand tomorrow and finishing it with ceramic tiles entirely.

So the question....do you put anything under your tiles to provide extra insulation? SHOULD I be including extra insulation?

Thanks! Newbie over here! Googling only gets me so far and it's like a snowball of information!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How cold does your house get? You dont need anything supplemental unless it drops under 60. And if so then a che is what you want. Wattage will just depend but you're only looking to add a bit of heat if you need to. Enough to keep it above thet 60 mark. A cooling off period is good for them at night so you dont want it too warm.

In regards to the tile, I usually just put a layer or two of paper towels under them. Not for insulation really though. You dont need to put anything.

-Brandon

kreinmiller

Original Poster
I'm honestly not 100% sure how low the temperature gets in the house but I would suspect as low at 55-60 on the cooler lights. Heating is a constant battle because we live in an older home. I would suspect a 100w CHE should do the trick then. The 150 might be overkill since his tank isn't huge. I was just worried because friends have been telling me it can't get below 70 at night which it certainly will!

Thanks for the response! Helpful! :D

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Heat loss through the floor is so minimal, most sources don't even talk about it unless there's a huge gradient between the heated area and basement (or whatever is beneath the floor).

Instead, I'd consider insulating 3 sides of the tank with rigid foam. This can cut down considerably on the wattage you'll need to keep temps up. It can be cut to fit nicely (overlapping the corners) and removed when temps rise again. Your greatest heat loss is through the top, but you have to provide ventilation somewhere/somehow. Thinking ahead, this is a good reason to consider a CrossFire-style enclosure (4' x 2' x 2' w/ glass doors in front) when the time comes. BDs can grow quickly, so it's never too soon to plan ahead. :wink:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Your tank needs to be around 65 or 70 at nite - I live in real cold temps in the winter and my tank is a 120 gallon w/ a 100 watt heat emitter that keeps it around 70 thru the nite -
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom