PLEASE HELP

We have a young bearded dragon who has suddenly started loosing his appetite and has developed some sort of scab on his mouth. We love him so much but cant find a vet willing to see him. The three Vets people told us about no longer are accepting any patients . We just want to help him! Please of anyone has a idea of what we can try while we search for a Vet,please let us know...This is breaking my heart.He is so loving. I have enclosed a picture so you could see what we are referring too.
20230423_073416.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
We have a young bearded dragon who has suddenly started loosing his appetite and has developed some sort of scab on his mouth. We love him so much but cant find a vet willing to see him. The three Vets people told us about no longer are accepting any patients . We just want to help him! Please of anyone has a idea of what we can try while we search for a Vet,please let us know...This is breaking my heart.He is so loving. I have enclosed a picture so you could see what we are referring too. View attachment 79870
Start w/ some raw unfiltered honey--try a couple times a day --- NO crickets in the tank please --- what kind of UVB are you using? Please NO coils -- I am flagging your post to AHBD she can help here and I posting a website to find a vet if your in a small town type in the biggest city nearest to you www.arav.org
@AHBD

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh my, poor thing. If at all possible, try to get him to the vet for treatment. That is mouth rot & will
continue to get worse. How long has it been this way?
It may be from banging his face on his tank, or what other type of injury could he have sustained?

Tracie

LUCKYSGRANDMA

Original Poster
We are looking for a Vet now, we have tried multiple places in our area, and they refuse to see him, saying they are full and no longer taking patients. He has not had it very long thank goodness. He has a rock hiding sculpture we got at the pet store, a raise rock thing he climbs on and a plant he likes to lay under.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
We are looking for a Vet now, we have tried multiple places in our area, and they refuse to see him, saying they are full and no longer taking patients. He has not had it very long thank goodness. He has a rock hiding sculpture we got at the pet store, a raise rock thing he climbs on and a plant he likes to lay under.
Please try the website I posted for you type in the zip code for the largest city to you

LUCKYSGRANDMA

Original Poster
Karrie~ I did try your website. I also sent out several emails and have been waiting for them to open. I am also going to give the Cornell Veterinary School and Emergency Hospital a call today, they are fairly close and have great reviews for all kinds of animals, including exotics.
I will update as I can and continue to follow this site. People have been so nice.

Its funny I had never thought of a dragon as a good pet but I love this little guy so much. Sometimes when my daughter gets home, she will bring him out to cuddle and he will climb up and just get comfortable and sleep, he has even taken a liking to have under his little neck pet.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Karrie~ I did try your website. I also sent out several emails and have been waiting for them to open. I am also going to give the Cornell Veterinary School and Emergency Hospital a call today, they are fairly close and have great reviews for all kinds of animals, including exotics.
I will update as I can and continue to follow this site. People have been so nice.

Its funny I had never thought of a dragon as a good pet but I love this little guy so much. Sometimes when my daughter gets home, she will bring him out to cuddle and he will climb up and just get comfortable and sleep, he has even taken a liking to have under his little neck pet.
Ok keep us posted on him please

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is he doing today, did you get any honey for him yet to use on those areas?
Do keep us posted on him, we are all worried about him!

Tracie

LUCKYSGRANDMA

Original Poster
I got the honey and applied as directed. It seemed to perk him up a little. I called and left messages with several Vets offices and will recheck with them today. Thank you for checking on him.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If no local vets are accepting patients, then the Cornell Companion Animal Hopstial would be a great option if it's nearby. They'll certainly have access to the resources to be able to help. Hopefully they can fit him in soon.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
We got him an appointment tomorrow, in Syracuse. I'll give you update then.
Thank you everyone.
Please NO enemas at the vet -- if they want a fecal its best to take one in ---

LUCKYSGRANDMA

Original Poster
Please NO enemas at the vet -- if they want a fecal its best to take one in ---
Thank you for the heads up! I will make sure no enemas

LUCKYSGRANDMA

Original Poster
Good Afternoon,

We did take Lucky to the vet; he had a mouth infection. They gave him antibiotics and fluids and sent us home with a regiment of antibiotics, mouth cleaning (with vet solution) and syringe feedings of food and water. Today he is cruising around his enclosure and seems much better, his mouth amazingly almost better.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom