Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

findingfallon

Original Poster
I had recently gotten my son a bearded dragon on the 23rd of November. I am not sure if I'm doing everything I need to be. We have a 55 gallon set up with a dimming 150 watt basking/uva light bulb and a zilla slim line t8 light that is hung inside the vivarium above the basking spot. The dragon has not eaten much since we bought it home. It won't take crickets at all now but will eat dubia roaches, butter worms and mealworms. The dragon has shed only one hind leg since being here. It has been having a bowel movement usually daily once he's in a warm bath. It does look like it's growing. The front left foot is swollen which I didn't realize could be a bad thing and we had brought the dragon home like that. I've also been syringe giving water and soaking daily. I have a multivitamin and calcium dust as well as electrolytes to bath in 3 times a week. I have been in the vet tech business for 20 years but never worked with reptiles. If anyone can please help me it would be greatly appreciated.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I had recently gotten my son a bearded dragon on the 23rd of November. I am not sure if I'm doing everything I need to be. We have a 55 gallon set up with a dimming 150 watt basking/uva light bulb and a zilla slim line t8 light that is hung inside the vivarium above the basking spot. The dragon has not eaten much since we bought it home. It won't take crickets at all now but will eat dubia roaches, butter worms and mealworms. The dragon has shed only one hind leg since being here. It has been having a bowel movement usually daily once he's in a warm bath. It does look like it's growing. The front left foot is swollen which I didn't realize could be a bad thing and we had brought the dragon home like that. I've also been syringe giving water and soaking daily. I have a multivitamin and calcium dust as well as electrolytes to bath in 3 times a week. I have been in the vet tech business for 20 years but never worked with reptiles. If anyone can please help me it would be greatly appreciated.
Please replace the Zilla bulb w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T8 place directly over the basking spot 6-8 inches -- this will help the swollen foot and make sure there is NO clear plastic cover over the bulb leave it off ---- replace in 6 months I recommend 5 --- your dragon likes roaches best keep him on those -- please post a pic of the swollen foot -- how old is the dragon? Please NO more soaks --- we need to see the foot so we can see whats going on w/ it-- do you have a hammock in the tank and did he have a hammock where you got him from? If you have a baby dragon please NO more meal worms- are you feeding salads if not please start Nutrition Content ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder if you have a baby I can post some other good staple feeders for him as well -- you can use the butter worms and some super worms to lure him to the salad bowl use like 1-3 of them - rinse the greens before serving this will give him hydration -- dragons do not need water every day -- if you need websites for roaches and worms please let me know I will post some for you--- also you need a digital probe thermometer to get surface basking temps -- NO stick ons --- basking temps and UVB are the most important thing in the tank so we need to get this situated first so he starts eating more --- temps should be 95-100 for adult and 105-110 for a baby

findingfallon

Original Poster
Please replace the Zilla bulb w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T8 place directly over the basking spot 6-8 inches -- this will help the swollen foot and make sure there is NO clear plastic cover over the bulb leave it off ---- replace in 6 months I recommend 5 --- your dragon likes roaches best keep him on those -- please post a pic of the swollen foot -- how old is the dragon? Please NO more soaks --- we need to see the foot so we can see whats going on w/ it-- do you have a hammock in the tank and did he have a hammock where you got him from? If you have a baby dragon please NO more meal worms- are you feeding salads if not please start Nutrition Content ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder if you have a baby I can post some other good staple feeders for him as well -- you can use the butter worms and some super worms to lure him to the salad bowl use like 1-3 of them - rinse the greens before serving this will give him hydration -- dragons do not need water every day -- if you need websites for roaches and worms please let me know I will post some for you--- also you need a digital probe thermometer to get surface basking temps -- NO stick ons --- basking temps and UVB are the most important thing in the tank so we need to get this situated first so he starts eating more --- temps should be 95-100 for adult and 105-110 for a baby
I have been trying celery leaves and fruit. The kale he won't touch at all. I just put a camera on my vivarium to see when I'm gone today if he's coming down to eat his salad mix. I have been feeding some butterworms also which he likes but will only eat a few in a feeding. Pets mart has been out of roaches so I've been resorting to those. There was no hammock in his viv when we got him. I actually have the uvb in my Amazon cart and have been trying to look at local pet stores to pick one up sooner but they all seem to be sold out of everything. I'm unsure of the age but last we measured he was coming in around 11 inches. The zilla uvb also came with a clear plastic which we took off immediately since that obviously defeats the purpose. I'll order some digital probes also since I do have the stick up ones. The hot side is around 101 right now and humidity says 11 at that spot. Thanks so much for the reply.

Attachments

• 16392353512088532559553515920421.jpg
    16392353512088532559553515920421.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Screenshot_20211211-090255_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211211-090255_Gallery.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 99

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I have been trying celery leaves and fruit. The kale he won't touch at all. I just put a camera on my vivarium to see when I'm gone today if he's coming down to eat his salad mix. I have been feeding some butterworms also which he likes but will only eat a few in a feeding. Pets mart has been out of roaches so I've been resorting to those. There was no hammock in his viv when we got him. I actually have the uvb in my Amazon cart and have been trying to look at local pet stores to pick one up sooner but they all seem to be sold out of everything. I'm unsure of the age but last we measured he was coming in around 11 inches. The zilla uvb also came with a clear plastic which we took off immediately since that obviously defeats the purpose. I'll order some digital probes also since I do have the stick up ones. The hot side is around 101 right now and humidity says 11 at that spot. Thanks so much for the reply.
Ok please get some BSFL order large DO NOT dust them they are a great staple feeder www.symtonbsf.com feed as many as you want on top of his salads every morning -- please look at the nutrition site -- hes still a baby please try basking temps at 105-110 but you MUST have the digital probe thermometers PetSmart / and most carry Zoo Med please look these are a MUST -- I am not sure what is going on w/ the foot --- I am going to have AHBD look and Tracie our vet tech mod --- since hes not been on roaches that long I would almost say its gout but hes pretty young so I want them to look --- the UVB I recommended is a way better bulb so this is going to help him in the long run -- I see the hammock -- please replace w/a fleece hammock or a cloth one www.etsy.com or www.pamperedbeardies.com they can get their toes caught in the those and cause the swelling hes experiencing now --- both of his front legs look swollen to me but I am gonna have Tracie and AHBD look
@AHBD @Drache613

findingfallon

Original Poster
Ok please get some BSFL order large DO NOT dust them they are a great staple feeder www.symtonbsf.com feed as many as you want on top of his salads every morning -- please look at the nutrition site -- hes still a baby please try basking temps at 105-110 but you MUST have the digital probe thermometers PetSmart / and most carry Zoo Med please look these are a MUST -- I am not sure what is going on w/ the foot --- I am going to have AHBD look and Tracie our vet tech mod --- since hes not been on roaches that long I would almost say its gout but hes pretty young so I want them to look --- the UVB I recommended is a way better bulb so this is going to help him in the long run -- I see the hammock -- please replace w/a fleece hammock or a cloth one www.etsy.com or www.pamperedbeardies.com they can get their toes caught in the those and cause the swelling hes experiencing now --- both of his front legs look swollen to me but I am gonna have Tracie and AHBD look
@AHBD @Drache613
Here's a picture I just took. The other one was when we first brought him home. So it's been like this for 3 weeks at least and I just didn't know that was a problem until I saw something last night about it. I will get a mesh hammock today and try searching for that bulb at our pets mart. How long do you recommend? I was aiming for 36 inches? And can I just get a housing fixture from lowes for it? Just trying to get something asap.

Attachments

• 20211211_103126.jpg
    20211211_103126.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 100

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Here's a picture I just took. The other one was when we first brought him home. So it's been like this for 3 weeks at least and I just didn't know that was a problem until I saw something last night about it. I will get a mesh hammock today and try searching for that bulb at our pets mart. How long do you recommend? I was aiming for 36 inches? And can I just get a housing fixture from lowes for it? Just trying to get something asap.
Ok no fixture from Lowes use the Zilla fixture just get the bulb its going to be the same size as the whats in there now --- a 18" I am assuming or is it a 20" --- fixtures from home improvement stores or Home Depot or Lowes are NOT recommended they have NO reflector in them and you NEED a reflector -- so use the Zilla ---- NO mesh hammock please or green ones they sell you want a fleece or a cloth one --- what size tank is he in?

findingfallon

Original Poster
Here's a picture I just took. The other one was when we first brought him home. So it's been like this for 3 weeks at least and I just didn't know that was a problem until I saw something last night about it. I will get a mesh hammock today and try searching for that bulb at our pets mart. How long do you recommend? I was aiming for 36 inches? And can I just get a housing fixture from lowes for it? Just trying to get

Ok no fixture from Lowes use the Zilla fixture just get the bulb its going to be the same size as the whats in there now --- a 18" I am assuming or is it a 20" --- fixtures from home improvement stores or Home Depot or Lowes are NOT recommended they have NO reflector in them and you NEED a reflector -- so use the Zilla ---- NO mesh hammock please or green ones they sell you want a fleece or a cloth one --- what size tank is he in?
Hes in a 55 gallon tank. Ok thank you about the hammock I would have never known that could be a problem. And that makes this so much easier to find a bulb hopefully then just to use it in my fixture I have. It's an 18 inch.

findingfallon

Original Poster
I also just ordered 500 of the bsfl.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, sounds like you're doing a great job trying to get everything you need for the little guy. What is his name ? Did you get him from a pet store or a previous owner along with the set up ? Good thing you got the new uvb ordered, he needs that ASAP. My guess is that he's at least 5-6 months old because of how long his claws are, although he's a bit on the small side but he can catch up. It's good that he's still eating, how much does he eat a day ? And with the bsfl, they do have a good calcium content but you should still dust them with calcium + D3 at least 2 X a week lightly, the D3 is not always supplied fully by the uvb bulb. Does he walk around O.K ? The swollen wrist MAY be gout be it also may be from a previous injury. A partial shed is normal so don't worry about that, baths can be done twice a week or so if he likes them and especially if he drinks.

findingfallon

Original Poster
Hi there, sounds like you're doing a great job trying to get everything you need for the little guy. What is his name ? Did you get him from a pet store or a previous owner along with the set up ? Good thing you got the new uvb ordered, he needs that ASAP. My guess is that he's at least 5-6 months old because of how long his claws are, although he's a bit on the small side but he can catch up. It's good that he's still eating, how much does he eat a day ? And with the bsfl, they do have a good calcium content but you should still dust them with calcium + D3 at least 2 X a week lightly, the D3 is not always supplied fully by the uvb bulb. Does he walk around O.K ? The swollen wrist MAY be gout be it also may be from a previous injury. A partial shed is normal so don't worry about that, baths can be done twice a week or so if he likes them and especially if he drinks.
The dragons name is Grogu (baby yoda) my son named him. I keep saying him but I do belive its a female. I found he bulb an hour from my house and we just installed it. I also got some dubia, wax, and superworms. I can already tell this bulb is much brighter. We had gotten him from petco not exactly my first choice but our reptile place has been closed now over a month due to them moving. The dragon was the smaller of the 2 and the other one it was with was bigger and also picking on this one. I still have a warranty on him for about 10 more days. I have herptivite and also the calcium dust. He does like the baths and does drink. He also poops every time in the tub. I had also gotten electrolyte for the baths but don't do it at every bathing. He's not eating much. Won't take the veggies will eat a few worms or dubias then run away and be done and head back to the basking spot.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The dragons name is Grogu (baby yoda) my son named him. I keep saying him but I do belive its a female. I found he bulb an hour from my house and we just installed it. I also got some dubia, wax, and superworms. I can already tell this bulb is much brighter. We had gotten him from petco not exactly my first choice but our reptile place has been closed now over a month due to them moving. The dragon was the smaller of the 2 and the other one it was with was bigger and also picking on this one. I still have a warranty on him for about 10 more days. I have herptivite and also the calcium dust. He does like the baths and does drink. He also poops every time in the tub. I had also gotten electrolyte for the baths but don't do it at every bathing. He's not eating much. Won't take the veggies will eat a few worms or dubias then run away and be done and head back to the basking spot.
Get your temps in order and that uvb his behavior should change- he's going thru relocation stress- give him time to adjust- he is eating that is good - watch the foot see if the swelling starts to go down he could of gotten bit by that bigger dragon it's hard to say unless there's a bite mark-

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He is a cutie! He is probably getting settled in by now, bless him. Grogu is a cute name for him, too!
Definitely keep an eye on his swollen wrist to be sure that it doesn't get any worse. You can be proactive with him &
start him on some black or tart cherry juice extract to help with kidney function.
The Herptivite vitamin is good so you can give that 1-2 times weekly & a straight calcium supplement several times per
week for him.
You are using a Zilla tube bulb, correct? That light should be ok, but when you have an opportunity, it would be great if
you could upgrade to either the Reptisun 10 or the Arcadia D3 12% tube bulbs. They are much higher quality of UVB bulbs
than the Zilla brand.
He should like the calcium worms, most tend to.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

findingfallon

Original Poster
Hello,

He is a cutie! He is probably getting settled in by now, bless him. Grogu is a cute name for him, too!
Definitely keep an eye on his swollen wrist to be sure that it doesn't get any worse. You can be proactive with him &
start him on some black or tart cherry juice extract to help with kidney function.
The Herptivite vitamin is good so you can give that 1-2 times weekly & a straight calcium supplement several times per
week for him.
You are using a Zilla tube bulb, correct? That light should be ok, but when you have an opportunity, it would be great if
you could upgrade to either the Reptisun 10 or the Arcadia D3 12% tube bulbs. They are much higher quality of UVB bulbs
than the Zilla brand.
He should like the calcium worms, most tend to.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie
Hi Tracie

After switching to the retisun 10 I've noticed a big change today. Grogu is much more active and ate a ton of bugs today. The leg still doesn't seem to be getting any better and almost looks worse. I felt it and it feels like a harder lump on the one side. He is walking and applying pressure to it. Could it possibly be gout? I still don't think he's eating any greens. Should I start force feeding some green slurry? I'm calling petco in the am and seeing about taking him in to be seen. I feel terrible and dont know what else to do.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hi Tracie

After switching to the retisun 10 I've noticed a big change today. Grogu is much more active and ate a ton of bugs today. The leg still doesn't seem to be getting any better and almost looks worse. I felt it and it feels like a harder lump on the one side. He is walking and applying pressure to it. Could it possibly be gout? I still don't think he's eating any greens. Should I start force feeding some green slurry? I'm calling petco in the am and seeing about taking him in to be seen. I feel terrible and dont know what else to do.
Please do not take him back to Petco they will just put him in the back and not take care of him and they won't give him back- find a reptile vet in your area heres a website to find a vet www.arav.org
If you live in a small town type a bigger cities zip code in closest to you- let's see if Tracie has some more ideas for you

findingfallon

Original Poster
Please do not take him back to Petco they will just put him in the back and not take care of him and they won't give him back- find a reptile vet in your area heres a website to find a vet www.arav.org
If you live in a small town type a bigger cities zip code in closest to you- let's see if Tracie has some more ideas for you
Ok will do. My best friend works for a reptile small animal veterinarian. I'll try to get in with him asap. I figured that with petco. I'll get s hold of her in the am to try to get me in with him asap. She said he's normally booked up for weeks in advance so I'll see what we can get done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom