Please help! my moms baby beardie got his hand cut off!

Abbie rosario

Original Poster
What can I do to try and keep him alive? i got my mom this baby beardie for Christmas as she's been really really wanting one since i got mine almost a year ago. My sister has kittens and we believe the cat ate off his hand, Baby groot( the baby beardie) has only one finger left. He is still active but i dont want to chance anything! I have switched out everything in his tank such as the bedding to a soft towel and i took away everything that has a rough surface so he dosent catch his nub on anything rough. it has already started scabbing over but i dont know what to do. it happened a few hours ago and ive been trying to find help since. I called my brother who owns a bearide and he told me that this bearded dragon will get an infection and die. I do not believe that 100% i believe i can save our baby and try to keep him as healthy as possible as ive seen a post like this once but in a different situation. another thing is he is in shed right now and i gave him his mealworms which he will not eat right now, I dont know if this is due to his shed or his hand. i love him so much and so does my momma please please PLEASE help me! P.S We know it is not the cats fault and it is instinct so we are not completely upset with the cat !! we just want to save our baby beardie!!! help me save him and bring OUR Christmas miracle...

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What can I do to try and keep him alive? i got my mom this baby beardie for Christmas as she's been really really wanting one since i got mine almost a year ago. My sister has kittens and we believe the cat ate off his hand, Baby groot( the baby beardie) has only one finger left. He is still active but i dont want to chance anything! I have switched out everything in his tank such as the bedding to a soft towel and i took away everything that has a rough surface so he dosent catch his nub on anything rough. it has already started scabbing over but i dont know what to do. it happened a few hours ago and ive been trying to find help since. I called my brother who owns a bearide and he told me that this bearded dragon will get an infection and die. I do not believe that 100% i believe i can save our baby and try to keep him as healthy as possible as ive seen a post like this once but in a different situation. another thing is he is in shed right now and i gave him his mealworms which he will not eat right now, I dont know if this is due to his shed or his hand. i love him so much and so does my momma please please PLEASE help me! P.S We know it is not the cats fault and it is instinct so we are not completely upset with the cat !! we just want to save our baby beardie!!! help me save him and bring OUR Christmas miracle...
Get some raw unpasteurized honey on it right away - this will help fight infection -- do not leave any crickets in the tank if your feeding crickets they will go straight to the wound
Make sure the surface basking temps are 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer and your using a long tube fixture for a UVB--- NO coils they are inadequate for a UVB - if you need help w/ this please ask
I am going to flag your post to Tracie our vet tech mod as she can help more
@Drache613

Last edited:

Abbie rosario

Original Poster
Get some raw unpasteurized honey on it right away - this will help fight infection -- do not leave any crickets in the tank if your feeding crickets they will go straight to the wound
Make sure the surface basking temps are 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer and your using a long tube fixture for a UVB--- NO coils they are inadequate for a UVB - if you need help w/ this please ask
I am going to flag your post to Tracie our vet tech mod as she can help more
thank you so so much this means a lot!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
thank you so so much this means a lot!!
Watch for a black beard - this could mean pain or distress --- please keep the cats away from the dragon - she is going to need time to heal and adjust and if shes new to the tank and surroundings it may take longer now but you need to make sure that the husbandry is on par --- this is going to help her

Abbie rosario

Original Poster

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221222-213359.jpg
    Screenshot_20221222-213359.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 83
  • Screenshot_20221222-213405.jpg
    Screenshot_20221222-213405.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 83
  • Screenshot_20221222-213349.jpg
    Screenshot_20221222-213349.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 85
  • Screenshot_20221222-213343.jpg
    Screenshot_20221222-213343.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 90

Abbie rosario

Original Poster
Watch for a black beard - this could mean pain or distress --- please keep the cats away from the dragon - she is going to need time to heal and adjust and if shes new to the tank and surroundings it may take longer now but you need to make sure that the husbandry is on par --- this is going to help her
thank you and i will, thankfully hes not entirely to to new to the tank! hes been in there for a bit. me and my fiance got him in the beginning of November so its been about a month

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I PM'd you & included my email too requesting pictures. I hadn't been on your thread yet.
How is he doing?
As everyone suggested, raw unpasteurized honey, silver gel or antibiotic ointment would
help a lot.
Poor thing, I am so sorry that has happened to him. Try to keep him warm overnight & be
sure to secure the area so this can't happen again.
Let us know how he is doing. Please check your PM's & go ahead & email me when you
get the chance.

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom