Please help my beardie with coccidia

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhaegaldrogo

Hatchling Member
Hi there,
So, my bearded dragon Maximus had coccidia. In April he had started acting lazy and wasn't eating. He's had it confirmed since around August or July. He's been on 3 different medications, and I've been consistently cleaning down his enclosure and decor, yet he still has the parasite . He seems worse now - He hasn't eaten in weeks, doesn't move all day most days, and has lost 25g in the past 2-3 months. I don't know what to do.. Why won't this go away??

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

What medicines have been prescribed so far? We need to know the medicine, the dose, the prescribed dosing schedule, and the weight of your dragon.

-Brandon

rhaegaldrogo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Claudiusx":fyn9cmor said:
Hi there,

What medicines have been prescribed so far? We need to know the medicine, the dose, the prescribed dosing schedule, and the weight of your dragon.

-Brandon

Hi!
I can only remember the name of the first one, and the dosages for all :/.
The first one was seprtrin, 0.2ml for a week.
2nd one was an antibiotic used mostly for cattle. That was 0.1ml for 2 days with a day in between
3rd might have started with a T and was 0.1ml for 3 days, 10 days later he had 5 days of a dewormer, then 10 days after that another 3days of the antibiotic.
He stayed 450g for ages despite not eating much and is now 425g. He was 1 in September

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Is he completely off of all medications right now? Have you been giving him any type of
probiotic to help get his tummy balanced back out after the rounds of medication?
You can try giving some blended baby food slurries with a little bit of molasses mixed in
with it for help with boosting the appetite. Or you could add bee pollen powder, instead.
Most of the time, it does take awhile for them to snap back after being medicated for
several ailments.

Tracie

rhaegaldrogo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":3ag00jdi said:
Hello,

Is he completely off of all medications right now? Have you been giving him any type of
probiotic to help get his tummy balanced back out after the rounds of medication?
You can try giving some blended baby food slurries with a little bit of molasses mixed in
with it for help with boosting the appetite. Or you could add bee pollen powder, instead.
Most of the time, it does take awhile for them to snap back after being medicated for
several ailments.

Tracie

Yes, he's off them for the moment. However , I'm bringing him back to the vets today. She's going to give me ammonia I believe and F10 to clean better this time, and probably some more antibiotics since he still has a lot of coccidia.
I did give him a bit of probioticsa a while back, but I'll get some more of that and baby food soon. I'll mix1bee pollen with it as well to see if that helps. I feel bad giving him so many antibiotics.. Will they harm him much in the long run?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The added ammonium based cleaner is fine, just be sure it is properly diluted & that you
thoroughly wash the areas you clean it with. It can be very strong & overpowering.
The antibiotics can be hard on their system & cause renal or liver issues. For coccidia, I
would recommend using Toltrazuril or Ponazuril (same agent) over Septrim or Albon. The
Septrim & Albon are actual antibiotics & are sulfa based which can contribute to yellow fungus
or renal hardship. The Toltrazuril or Ponazuril are actual anti-coccidial agents so they are
not classified as an antibiotic & are much less harsh.
The bee pollen should help out his immune system & appetite as well. I hope he gets to feeling
better.
Do you know what his coccidial counts were by chance?

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, sorry to hear how bad Maximus is feeling. I agree with Tracie, keep him off those harsh meds and try Ponazuril or Toltrazuril. Your vet may have meant well but all those meds. made Max sick. You can try some raw unpasteurized honey mixed with lukewarm water to get more hydration in him, it also has many nutrients and has some probiotic effects.

rhaegaldrogo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":36oxi735 said:
Hello,

The added ammonium based cleaner is fine, just be sure it is properly diluted & that you
thoroughly wash the areas you clean it with. It can be very strong & overpowering.
The antibiotics can be hard on their system & cause renal or liver issues. For coccidia, I
would recommend using Toltrazuril or Ponazuril (same agent) over Septrim or Albon. The
Septrim & Albon are actual antibiotics & are sulfa based which can contribute to yellow fungus
or renal hardship. The Toltrazuril or Ponazuril are actual anti-coccidial agents so they are
The bee pollen should help out his immune system & appetite as well. I hope he gets to feeling
better.

Tracie

Hi there,

Apologies for my delayed response, i hope help is still available ?. The vet gave me toltrazuril this time, that's what he'd been getting last time too I found out. He's finished his rounds weeks ago, yet doesn't appear any better. (I'm still cleaning his weekly with ammonia and F10)
He will still sleep all day if undisturbed in his hide.
When he is woken up either by me moving him, or the lights if he didn't sleep in his hide, he'll often go to the warm side. After about an hour or so, he starts to blackbeard and proceeds to run around like crazy. He's only been at this behaviour for a week (may have done it before had I woken him). Usually he does this if he needs to poop, but he isn't really doing that now.

He hasn't eaten on his own in months, and even when he was it was very little and only superworms. I managed to feed him baby food in the beginning of December, but now refuses that unless force fed. He's lost about 45grams in the last 3-4 months, now weighing about 405grams. When he was at the vets, she said he appeared healthy, so I suppose that's a good sign.. What should I do? ?

rhaegaldrogo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
rhaegaldrogo":3lpz3wd4 said:
Drache613":3lpz3wd4 said:
Hello,

better.

Tracie

Hi there,

Apologies for my delayed response, i hope help is still available ?. The vet gave me toltrazuril this time, that's what he'd been getting last time too I found out. He's finished his rounds weeks ago, yet doesn't appear any better. (I'm still cleaning his weekly with ammonia and F10)
He will still sleep all day if undisturbed in his hide.
When he is woken up either by me moving him, or the lights if he didn't sleep in his hide, he'll often go to the warm side. After about an hour or so, he starts to blackbeard and proceeds to run around like crazy. He's only been at this behaviour for a week (may have done it before had I woken him). Usually he does this if he needs to poop, but he isn't really doing that now.

He hasn't eaten on his own in months, and even when he was it was very little and only superworms. I managed to feed him baby food in the beginning of December, but now refuses that unless force fed. He's lost about 45grams in the last 3-4 months, now weighing about 405grams. When he was at the vets, she said he appeared healthy, so I suppose that's a good sign.. What should I do? ?

He's recently started eating a few roaches and superworms, but won't touch veggies. Still has days where he sleeps a lot, and black beards at some point almost daily. Can anyone help?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Good to hear he's eating again, that's always a positive sign. :) A male dragon out of brumation can have a somewhat perpetual black beard because it's breeding season. Some males are much more hormonal than others.

rhaegaldrogo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AHBD":55jm1kr7 said:
Good to hear he's eating again, that's always a positive sign. :) A male dragon out of brumation can have a somewhat perpetual black beard because it's breeding season. Some males are much more hormonal than others.

Ahh I see! He does tend to blackbeard and get hyperactive right after eating if that means anything?
So, would you reckon this behaviour he's doing is due to brumation rather than having coccidia?

Spikeyboo

Perhaps get another fecal exam to confirm Coccidia is gone. Your beardie sounds better than mine she has Coccidia as well. She is really dehydrated so I've been force feeding her water. I'm basically keeping her alive because she can't move at all on her own. How long did you have to feed yours for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom