Please help, im really worried.

3th0dewww

Beardie name(s)
Athena
About 2 months ago on March 24th, I bought a beardie from a lady on craigslist and named her Athena. She was in bad condition and didnt even come with food, I tried really hard to bring her to good condition and it worked, she was walking (her back legs havent worked very well since I got her) and active taking food and basking, but about a week ago she started to get bad. She started to deny food and constantly sleep im really worried that she will die because I was really happy to finally get a beardie and dont want to not be able to see her grow up. I want to take her to the vet but my parents say "she is going to die anyways" so they wont and their isnt one close. I think this forum is my last hope before I give up, and I really dont think I would ever have anymore pets if Athena passed.

I have listed all the information I could below, I really dont know what to do. Any help is welcome.

Heat:
Basking 105-110F
Warm Side 90-95F
Cold Side 77-85F
I measure with a temperature gun.

Enclosure:
2 hides
Basking log
Basking rock
Water dish
Basking light 75W
Ceramic heat lamp
Paper towels as floor

Symptoms:
Not eating
Only drinking in baths (lots)
Constantly sleeping
Not normal pooping (small spots around tank where laying)
Not moving much
Eyes always closed (even when moving sometimes)
Staying on cold side
Doesnt bask

Axil

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
I don't see a UVB bulb listed. Bearded Dragon's need UVB to grow properly, and can die without it. You want T5 fixture hung inside her enclosure 12-15in from a piece of decor she can climb on. Preferably next to your basking light. Here is a kit from Petsmart that includes both a fixture and the correct bulb for her. you can hopefully find at your local store or have delivered as soon as possible. Until the light arrives you can bring her out into the sun holding her or in a plastic bin.

There may be other issues but without UVB she's unlikely to improve. Do not go and get a coil bulb instead of a T5 like the one i linked. The are much cheaper but they do not work.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Do you have any pictures of Athena as well as her tank setup so we can see her condition?
It sounds like she could have some metabolic bone issues if she isn't getting adequate UVB,
which is extremely critical.
Where are you measuring the basking temperatures, directly underneath of the basking light?
Is the basking light a bright white light, or, a colored light?
Do you have an approximate age, by chance, or not?
Let us know what supplements & foods you offer, also. We will help as much as we can.

Tracie

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Until you can get the correct uvb, you can take her out in the natural sunlight for a couple hours per day. It's the best source of uvb anyways. Just be sure not to leave her unattended. Also don't overheat her by putting her in a tote or glass tank. (A tote can work but keep a close eye on temps)

Last edited:

3th0dewww

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Athena
Until you can get the correct uvb, you can take her out in the natural sunlight for a couple hours per day. It's the best source of uvb anyways. Just be sure not to leave her unattended. Also don't over heat her by putting her in a toe or glass tank. (A tote can work but keep a close eye on temps)
Ok, I will do this if its a safe temp out today. Thank you.

3th0dewww

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Athena
I don't see a UVB bulb listed. Bearded Dragon's need UVB to grow properly, and can die without it. You want T5 fixture hung inside her enclosure 12-15in from a piece of decor she can climb on. Preferably next to your basking light. Here is a kit from Petsmart that includes both a fixture and the correct bulb for her. you can hopefully find at your local store or have delivered as soon as possible. Until the light arrives you can bring her out into the sun holding her or in a plastic bin.

There may be other issues but without UVB she's unlikely to improve. Do not go and get a coil bulb instead of a T5 like the one i linked. The are much cheaper but they do not work.
Ok I just ordered the kit you linked, It should be here in a few days. Thanks you!

3th0dewww

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Athena
Hello,

Do you have any pictures of Athena as well as her tank setup so we can see her condition?
It sounds like she could have some metabolic bone issues if she isn't getting adequate UVB,
which is extremely critical.
Where are you measuring the basking temperatures, directly underneath of the basking light?
Is the basking light a bright white light, or, a colored light?
Do you have an approximate age, by chance, or not?
Let us know what supplements & foods you offer, also. We will help as much as we can.

Tracie
I will send some pictures when I am home, I think its definitly the UVB. The basking temps are under it and around the rock, the light is a bright white. We think she is 5-7~ months old, but the person we got her from didnt specify. The crickets I offer feed on calcium fortified food and small salads of bell peper, collard greens, and strawberry (ingrediants do vary).

Axil

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
Ok I just ordered the kit you linked, It should be here in a few days. Thanks you!
Please try and get her some sun exposure in the meantime. It sounds like she has never had UVB exposure and you don't want her getting any worse while you wait for the light.

I'm sorry she came to you in poor condition without instructions on proper care. Has she been getting a calcium supplement? She needs calcium. Here's an example of an approximate calcium supplement, you can probably pick it up where ever you're buying her bugs as well.

it sounds like she's not eating now but please dust her bugs for her so if she starts again she'll get some calcium.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's great you got the UVB ordered! I hope that you receive it quickly, but as suggested, the
outdoor sunshine would be great for her.
It sounds like you are offering some good variety of food right now. I hope she is eating her greens
& other insects pretty well, they can be a little picky sometimes.

Let us know how things are going!

Tracie

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom