Please help! I need a short-term alternative to live insects for my baby beardie.

AnnieT

Beardie name(s)
Emma
I feed Emma greens, dubias, and bsfl everyday. I'm waiting on a shipment of both to come in. It won't be here until Monday. I've gone to the store, and all their dubias and bsfl were dead. What can I give her in the meantime? I really don't want to do crickets again.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I feed Emma greens, dubias, and bsfl everyday. I'm waiting on a shipment of both to come in. It won't be here until Monday. I've gone to the store, and all their dubias and bsfl were dead. What can I give her in the meantime? I really don't want to do crickets again.
You can hold off if you want or pick up enough crickets to get her by till Monday -- since shes a baby I would get the crickets --- where are you ordering your insects from?

AnnieT

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Emma
I'm ordering from dubiaroaches.com. I wasn't sure about the crickets since she got a parasite shortly after the first time she had them. Can't they pass on parasites, or am I making connections that aren't there?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
You can use small hornworms, or silkworms. You can also use earthworms but make sure to source them at a pet store, not a bait and tackle store. You can use wax worms or butterworms also, but that would be for as short term as possible because of the fat content.

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
You can hold off if you want or pick up enough crickets to get her by till Monday -- since shes a baby I would get the crickets --- where are you ordering your insects from?
I'm ordering from dubiaroaches.com. I wasn't sure about the crickets since she got a parasite shortly after the first time she had them. Can't they pass on parasites, or am I making connections that aren't there?

Are crickets really that parasitic.?
I'm also not fond of feeding crickets.
They say high parasite loads and they jump around.

Not fun

@AnnieT
bsfl were dead
Sometimes they go into the pupa stage.
More than likely not dead.
Did you look for moving BSFL?

AnnieT

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Emma
Are crickets really that parasitic.?
I'm also not fond of feeding crickets.
They say high parasite loads and they jump around.

Not fun

@AnnieT

Sometimes they go into the pupa stage.
More than likely not dead.
Did you look for moving BSFL?
Yeah. None of them were moving. Some were really squishy and some were hard. Some were all black and some looked like they just had black stuff in the gut area

AnnieT

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Emma
I believe you. I'm still new to this. I've only had Em for a couple of months. Still learning lol

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yeah, I can understand your view on this. Everything will work out O.K, you're a good and caring owner. :)You can even get something called Repashy Grub pie at most pet stores , I've heard that beardies like it. You can Google it and see if it's something you'd want to try.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I just looked at your profile and see that you have a Zilla uvb. Did you see that it has a plastic cover over the uvb bulb and take it off ? Otherwise Em won't get any uvb because the clear plastic shield blocks it. Even with the plastic off the uvb needs to be about 8" above the baby to give off enough uvb. Too bad the stores sell these, a much better choice is the Reptisun 10.0 t5 that produces really good amounts of uvb.

AnnieT

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Emma
I just looked at your profile and see that you have a Zilla uvb. Did you see that it has a plastic cover over the uvb bulb and take it off ? Otherwise Em won't get any uvb because the clear plastic shield blocks it. Even with the plastic off the uvb needs to be about 8" above the baby to give off enough uvb. Too bad the stores sell these, a much better choice is the Reptisun 10.0 t5 that produces really good amounts of uvb.
Thanks for letting me know! I'll take that off now. I've realized since I purchased it that the Reptisun would've been better. That's what I'm getting when I upgrade her tank soon

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom