Please help! Beardie looks lifeless

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessy23

I posted about this on another beardie thread, but I need all the advice I can get. This is what I posted:
About 6 years ago I got my beardie, and since he was a juvenile he has been eating like a monster. He would chase around crickets all day and never let one last more than a few seconds. He has been this way until a few months ago, where I realized he was closing one eye, however was still eating. The past few months leading to now, he has been struggling to keep either eyes open and has stopped eating. About 3 weeks ago I bought him different things other than crickets, such as tomato worms, roaches, and wax worms. He ate one of each and has not eaten since. His weight has declined like crazy, he is so lethargic now and I am getting so scared.

I just wanna say I do plan on taking him to the vet, hopefully by or before the weekend, it's just I have never been to these types of vets and have been struggling to find one.

Nothing about his setup has changed, however I did make the stupid mistake of listening to the store and buying him that calcium bearded dragon sand substrate. I only recently learned how terrible it is for beardies, and the high chance of impaction they can get from it, and have cleared it out since the couple of months I noticed him getting weaker.

Does anybody know what this could be or had similar experiences? I am so anxious and want him to be okay for the next few days until I can get him checked out.

Since then I have purchased the Arcadia T5 UVB, as I was advised the Zilla one was no good. I started giving him repta-boost through a syringe, and I saw progress he was starting to open his eyes, head was up a little bit, etc. Now he looks lifeless, legs are stiff, head is down and eyes are closed. He only moves to fight me when I force feed him. I have been bathing him in electrolytes and started force feeding a few waxworms with calcium D3, and also today put it in his repta-boost mix.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I posted about this on another beardie thread, but I need all the advice I can get. This is what I posted:
About 6 years ago I got my beardie, and since he was a juvenile he has been eating like a monster. He would chase around crickets all day and never let one last more than a few seconds. He has been this way until a few months ago, where I realized he was closing one eye, however was still eating. The past few months leading to now, he has been struggling to keep either eyes open and has stopped eating. About 3 weeks ago I bought him different things other than crickets, such as tomato worms, roaches, and wax worms. He ate one of each and has not eaten since. His weight has declined like crazy, he is so lethargic now and I am getting so scared.

I just wanna say I do plan on taking him to the vet, hopefully by or before the weekend, it's just I have never been to these types of vets and have been struggling to find one.

Nothing about his setup has changed, however I did make the stupid mistake of listening to the store and buying him that calcium bearded dragon sand substrate. I only recently learned how terrible it is for beardies, and the high chance of impaction they can get from it, and have cleared it out since the couple of months I noticed him getting weaker.

Does anybody know what this could be or had similar experiences? I am so anxious and want him to be okay for the next few days until I can get him checked out.

Since then I have purchased the Arcadia T5 UVB, as I was advised the Zilla one was no good. I started giving him repta-boost through a syringe, and I saw progress he was starting to open his eyes, head was up a little bit, etc. Now he looks lifeless, legs are stiff, head is down and eyes are closed. He only moves to fight me when I force feed him. I have been bathing him in electrolytes and started force feeding a few waxworms with calcium D3, and also today put it in his repta-boost mix.
@AHBD

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sorry to hear about this ! Can you post pics of your beardie and of his entire enclosure ? Have you seen any sand in his poo ? When was his last bowel movement ?

jessy23

Original Poster
Sorry to hear about this ! Can you post pics of your beardie and of his entire enclosure ? Have you seen any sand in his poo ? When was his last bowel movement ?
IMG_4423.JPG

This is his enclosure, I've removed most of his decor as I did not want him falling from it or any crickets to hide in them as he was eating less and less. Also I am trying to get the UVB inside because I know the mesh blocks 30% of it, I am just struggling on how to do so. He's severely underweight, any energy he has he uses to get off his rock. I left the paper in for 3 days to monitor his poop, no sand it mainly liquid (since I give him repta boost and a few worms)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yeah, he does look bad. Lack of uvb can cause problems but usually not this drastic. When he has the liquidy poo, is it just a tiny amount or more ? Try to find a good vet that knows at least something about beardies or that can refer you to one.

jessy23

Original Poster
Yeah, he does look bad. Lack of uvb can cause problems but usually not this drastic. When he has the liquidy poo, is it just a tiny amount or more ? Try to find a good vet that knows at least something about beardies or that can refer you to one.
Yes he needs a vet but they're all saying nothing until mid-May. I am dreading going as well in case they're not experienced and just suggest euthanizing, as I will never do that. This was over the span of months, not all at once. But he got extremely thin last week, that's when I started syringe feeding. He does not poop a lot, as all he eats is the repta-boost and a few waxworms.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor guy, so sorry he is not doing well. How much food do you give him right now? I would add some
chicken or turkey baby food, squash or sweet potato baby food, mixed with the repta boost for some added
starch for him.
Is his beard normal color or darker?
Keep trying with him, as long as he has fight left in him he most definitely deserves the love & effort.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom