PLEASE HELP: Beardie having seizures and very aggressive

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilyM

Beardie name(s)
Pixie
My beardie pixie had a seizure a few weeks ago. I took her to the vet, swapped out all her bulbs for new ones, did blood work and a fecal sample. We gave her a D3 shot and a calcium shot. The vet says there are elevated levels of calcium consistent with possible ovulation? So I made lay box and but she hasn't laid anything. She's definitely been eating less but VERY active. Honestly aggressive some days. She seemed to be doing better until just now. She was basking and suddenly she started seizing and twitching and her eyes looked like they sunk into her head. She was hissing it was honestly super scary.

What should I do? Are there any different tests I can request??? Is there a chance this could be a symptom of egg binding??

LilyM

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pixie
As an addition since she's been eating less I've been giving her Pedialyte baths once a week (she always drinks), and baby food squash from a syringe. she seems to have calmed down now and looks normal. just obviously black beard. We made eye contact from across the room and she puffed up and hissed at me. She currently seems to be trying to dig in a corner. Should I put her back in the lay box? Afraid of stressing her out and triggering another

LilyM

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pixie
I wasn't able to get a vid of the whole thing but this is the end of the seizure where she's still twitching a bit and can't really move. Sorry for the poor quality I was barely paying attention to where I was pointing the camera. Literally 5 mins before this she was basking and seemed fine.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I wasn't able to get a vid of the whole thing but this is the end of the seizure where she's still twitching a bit and can't really move. Sorry for the poor quality I was barely paying attention to where I was pointing the camera. Literally 5 mins before this she was basking and seemed fine.
@AHBD
@Drache613

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That type of behavior can definitely be scary. Did they do any x-rays to confirm egg development?
If you have a copy of the blood tests, please post them & I'll take a look at them.
Which UVB light are you currently using?
I don't think this is a symptom of egg binding but if she is having trouble laying them then this could
definitely be a problem. Other than the calcium shot, how often do you give calcium supplementation
for her?

Tracie

LilyM

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pixie
Hi Tracie,
She kept having them and more frequently and close together so I am now going to emergency. Just in case, Posting blood test results, my original post, and the stats of everything i am using. My original post for more info

I was doing calcium every day per vets orders but only for 4 days. when he got the blood test results he said i should scale back to once a week again

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 10.21.58.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 10.21.58.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 76
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 10.20.22.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 10.20.22.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 74

LilyM

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pixie
The morning after she started having back-to-back seizures. We discussed the possibility of euthanizing with the emerg vet, but decided that we would give some anti-convulsive meds to see if there is any improvement, and she was way better in the morning and even ate a blueberry! I'm giving her meds for 2 weeks and we'll reassess.

I, unfortunately, cannot afford all tests they recommended (like a brain mri) as we already tested for anything that would typically cause seizures in bearded dragons. They ruled out MBD and certain bacterial infections. For now she seems ok, but will keep an eye out.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry, she is definitely having some trouble! Please keep us posted on her condition. Did they think she could
have gout or any liver issues? The calcium levels looked good right now. You could also try some CBD for help with
seizures, etc.

Tracie

LilyM

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pixie
I have this CBD, would that work for her?

She took a huge poo on my bed this morning and is now running around the living room so I'm inclined to optimism for now? I gave her some baby food squash as well. She didn't love it but she ate it so that's something.

Attachments

• cbd.jpg
    cbd.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 74
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom