please advise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

osmbr

Hatchling Member
bearded dragon 2.5 months 6-8 inches havent measured him yet

he keeps his right eye closed alot of the time? i dont know y at all i think im doing everything right

tank stats.

light: reptisun 10.0 uvb light. 2 weeks old (as long as ive had him)

basking temp 110-105 (night never gets under 75 F)

substrate: newspaper

Baths: every other day (30 mins)

Food: Dubia Nymphs (he loves them and they are dusted with calcium d3)

He is still eating and when he walks hell open it then when he stops he shuts it right away??? bizzarrrrr i know

i tryed using some water to clean it it doesnt seem anything is in there and doesnt seem abnormal other than the closing of it ???

PLEASE HELP>>>>>>>>

osmbr

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
hecan get 8 inches from it should i make it closer. i use a digital with a probe. do u think it is the new reptisun bulb causing his eye problems i know it is supposed to be the best bulb but u think it could be juss trying to weigh every option here dont be affended by that statement i juss have to ask on behalf of my beardi

Morphius

osmbr":a4c7f said:
hecan get 8 inches from it should i make it closer

he should be able to get within 6 inches of it...take the temp reading from that distance...also, does he gape while basking? Keep in mind beardies prefer to to be vertical when basking.

osmbr

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
really cause i see poeple with flat basking spots all the time isnt it better so he can get heat str8 to his belly to help digest his dubias. and i moved the reptisun 10.0 6 inchs from the basking spot right next to the basking lamp its been one day and his energy has gone up alot he seen the dubia container and ran to the glass and started trying to clime the glass to get to the dubias and he has never done this before the 2 weeks ive owned him i think the reptisun being closer to him right under the basking lamp has helped so far well we'll see in the next few days how things go thanks alot for the help ill keep u posted....this is fusterating... :banghead:

Morphius

osmbr":2be32 said:
really cause i see poeple with flat basking spots all the time isnt it better so he can get heat str8 to his belly to help digest his dubias. and i moved the reptisun 10.0 6 inchs from the basking spot right next to the basking lamp its been one day and his energy has gone up alot he seen the dubia container and ran to the glass and started trying to clime the glass to get to the dubias and he has never done this before the 2 weeks ive owned him i think the reptisun being closer to him right under the basking lamp has helped so far well we'll see in the next few days how things go thanks alot for the help ill keep u posted....this is fusterating... :banghead:

Preferred basking position in captivity versus in the wild will obviously vary...as will the BD's own personality. However, it is true that BD's prefer to bask on an incline as opposed to horizontal. Evening with a horizontal basking area, many will create an incline for themselves by raising up on their front legs with their head pointed towards the light. Of course BD's will flatten out as much as possible to maximize heat absorption. Regardless of which basking terrain you use, what is most important in the temperature...105F to 110F (the warmer side being better for babies)...in the basking area, plus an area where they can cool down in. This is why digital thermometers (especially those that record the highest and lowest temps each 24 hours) are the best as they are the most accurate. It's best to have at least two (one where the BD basks and one in the cool area)...also a hygrometer is highly recommended to ensure the humidity in the enclosure remains at the desert-like level.

Proper UVB/UVA lighting is important because it is what allows BD's to produce vitamin D3 which is used in calcium absorption. Lighting also directly affects the amount of energy your BD has and the level of activity he/she displays.

As for running up to the wall of the tank and clawing at it...this is very common for many reasons.
1) The enclosure could be to small (simple to fix, get a bigger enclosure).
2) The BD sees it's reflection in the glass and is trying to get at it (thus it is recommended to have 3 of the 4 walls of the enclosure covered since BDs are territorial).
3) The BD recognizes you and wants your attention.
4) The BD recognizes the feeder enclosure (if brought near or if housed near) and wants what's inside.
5) The BD wants out to roam around (which is common if you allow him out to roam).

Leo123

he seen the dubia container and ran to the glass and started trying to clime the glass to get to the dubias and he has never done this before

Morphius, As per the statement above osmbr knows why his beardie was trying to clime the glass, im not being cheeky just thought i would point this out...........

Osmbr, hows your Beardie??

Morphius

Leo123":da04f said:
he seen the dubia container and ran to the glass and started trying to clime the glass to get to the dubias and he has never done this before

Morphius, As per the statement above osmbr knows why his beardie was trying to clime the glass, im not being cheeky just thought i would point this out...........

Osmbr, hows your Beardie??

Yes I know he knew why his beardie ran up to the tank glass (since he stated he knew the reason)...I was just providing additional reasons for why this occurs.

Leo123

....How long has you're Beardie been doing this? How was you're Beardie housed prior to you buying him?

It may be a problem that occurred before you bought him

osmbr

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
hi sorry im late on this.

i dont think i should get a bigger cage right now he is in a 75 gallon and he is only 6 - 8 inches long himslef haha

he seems to do the same as i bought him but with one eye closed he started opening it more now but still keeps it closed

what is recomended to wash his eye out with( that i can use maybe something small got in it and its bothering him?? idk he still eats yet not as much since its winter now i guess(thats what the guy at the petstore said

and i think he is doing fine hopefully :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom