Pinworm levels high, no treatment recommended.

Axil

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
So Beebz had a fecal taken at the vet on Monday. When I called today the vet said he tested in the "high range" for pinworms. She said that unless there are symptoms she doesn't treat pinworms.

Beebz has been less willing to eat roaches and crickets recently. I mostly chalk that up to his being stubborn, and liking worms better. I can never tell if he's lethargic or just lazy. He'll move pretty quick if I put a hornworm across the cage from him, so I guess lazy?

On the one hand I'm glad my vet is conservative in her use of medication. On the other "high range" sounds.... bad.

Should I be looking to get a copy of the results to see exactly what high range means, or do I just need to stop worrying and be happy he got a diagnosis of "no problematic parasites"?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
As long as they are otherwise healthy, it seems that pinworms can be managed by their immune systems pretty effectively. Treatment is generally pretty minor and effective when needed, but I think your vet is probably right in that it isn't likely to need treatment. I'd just have testing done as part of routine checkups. The appetite and energy level will increase/decrease over time as part of their natural cycles so unless it keeps up for an extended period or includes significant weight loss I wouldn't worry about it.

Axil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
As long as they are otherwise healthy, it seems that pinworms can be managed by their immune systems pretty effectively. Treatment is generally pretty minor and effective when needed, but I think your vet is probably right in that it isn't likely to need treatment. I'd just have testing done as part of routine checkups. The appetite and energy level will increase/decrease over time as part of their natural cycles so unless it keeps up for an extended period or includes significant weight loss I wouldn't worry about it.
Thank you.

I guess my primary worry is I will miss signs of a problem if for whatever reason the pinworms start to bother him.

He has continued to gain weight, I'll keep monitoring that and make sure his feces remain formed.

The Vet didn't think any followup was necessary, so unless somthing changes he won't be back until next year.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thank you.

I guess my primary worry is I will miss signs of a problem if for whatever reason the pinworms start to bother him.

He has continued to gain weight, I'll keep monitoring that and make sure his feces remain formed.

The Vet didn't think any followup was necessary, so unless somthing changes he won't be back until next year.
Take another fecal in in 6 months- then go from there-- no enemas please

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I would get a copy of the results and keep it for comparison purposes. I would probably have another fecal done a couple times per year (I'm an habitual worrier) and monitor the count myself. If it begins to rise then back to the vet otherwise piece of mind 😌

Axil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
Thanks for the responses.

I did reach out and ask for a copy of the results. I'll see about getting another test done in a few months. They mentioned during the visit they took drop-off samples so that should be easy.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

We usually don't recommend treatment for them most of the times, if they don't seem to be having
any negative health issues & are maintaining their weight. Just give it a month or two & then have
another fecal done to see if there has been any improvements in the levels.

Tracie

Axil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
Thank you Tracie.

I was able to get the lab results sent to me. Looks like it was actually a "moderate" range result.
Screenshot_20230511_111003_Kindle.jpg

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom